The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Default telecaster bullet question

Enjoying the new Tele,thinking about changing out the tuners
Having trouble keeping in tune
What do u all think?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
What do u all think?
If you’re having trouble keeping it in tune, it’s almost certainly not the tuners.

It is much more likely to be friction somewhere along the string path - at the nut, the bridge, or at the tuner itself based on how you’re installing the strings.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-16-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
If you’re having trouble keeping it in tune, it’s almost certainly not the tuners.

It is much more likely to be friction somewhere along the string path - at the nut, the bridge, or at the tuner itself based on how you’re installing the strings.
All possibilities, certainly, but isn't the Bullet pretty much the low end of the Squier line, and likely to have really cheap tuners? I know I had a Telecoustic, which is not as "affordable" as a Bullet, and the tuners were just garbage. The stuff you mention is certainly a cheaper set of things to check first, but I wouldn't dismiss crappy tuners too quickly.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
All possibilities, certainly, but isn't the Bullet pretty much the low end of the Squier line, and likely to have really cheap tuners? I know I had a Telecoustic, which is not as "affordable" as a Bullet, and the tuners were just garbage. The stuff you mention is certainly a cheaper set of things to check first, but I wouldn't dismiss crappy tuners too quickly.
I agree - there certainly are bad tuners out there, but their failings are likely to manifest as just rough operation. There’s a popular misconception that tuners can slip, which is pretty much mechanically impossible.

Check all the other things first - don’t automatically assume that tuning problems emanate from ‘bad tuners’.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Check all the other things first - don’t automatically assume that tuning problems emanate from ‘bad tuners.'
A few tips based on my experiences with a genuine Fender '52 Tele RI:
  • Loosen the strings first, then:
  • Tighten the neck bolts (you'll see a major improvement in sustain, BTW)
  • Tighten the bridgeplate screws and retune - when you do:
  • Make sure the string ball ends are completely seated in the ferrules
  • Make sure the strings are not slipping on the string posts
  • Make sure the bridge saddles are not moving when you play (do you rest your hand on the bridge as a rule and/or are the height-adjustment screws resting solidly on the bridgeplate?), and check for rough spots where the string windings might snag (another reason I prefer flatwound strings)
  • If you still have the original strings on the guitar, change them NOW (with few exceptions OEM strings - especially on entry-level guitars - are total crap); if not, consider the next heavier gauge and/or a wound G (when I was teaching actively, a set of wound-G 11's cured all but one tuning problem with my students' Squiers and Mexi-Fenders - and fattened up the tone to boot)
  • Rub some graphite (pencil lead) in the nut grooves
  • Get a professional setup - nut groove filing, fret level, truss rod adjustment, pickup height, bridge-saddle intonation adjustment
With few exceptions even the cheapest modern tuners are light-years ahead of the stuff us old-timers had to contend with in the '50s-60s, and defects are generally confined to perhaps one or two out of the entire set. Since yours is a brand-new guitar as I recall, you're covered under warranty; if this is in fact the case don't hesitate to contact the manufacturer for a couple replacements - it's a ten-minute DIY job, and it'll make all the difference in the world in your playing satisfaction...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks for all the info
U guys rock
I was also told to lube the nut
I will also change the strings
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Also Check the Himidity where you`re playing. Guitars like 47% and anything lower or higher do change the tuning.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:55 PM

I do that back-loop knot in the peg and torque the crap out of the new strings.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
What do u all think?
Trash it, get a real Fender.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-26-2018, 12:46 PM

I’ve got a FSR bullet tele I bought only because of the color. It was less than $200 and I bought it as a project, fully expecting to put it in the closet until all of the hardware and the neck was replaced.

I’m actually surprised by the instrument. Just by itself it was a fine guitar, and played/sounded much better than the price tag would suggest.

That being said, the tuners aren’t the best. But contrary to common wisdom, bad tuners usually doesn’t equal poor tuning stability. Bad tuners can make it difficult to tune, but once it’s in tune the mechanics of a machine head make it really, really difficult for them to slip at all.

For tuning stability, the things already mentioned above are where to look. On cheap guitars like bullet teles, the first place I would check (after changing the strings) is the plastic nut. Make sure the string slots are cut properly and color the string slots with a normal #2 pencil. I’d bet you lunch that fixes your issue. If it doesn’t, continue with the above suggestions.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Great value for dollar on the cheaper teles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars