The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 06:53 AM

+1 on what @unclejesse said. I’ve been doing this for a while now with expensive deliveries like musical instruments, cameras, etc. Another advantage is that they will usually let you open the packages in front of them to inspect for hidden damages.

You should go on the carrier’s website and get the exact location including site code to give to the sender to make sure it goes where you intend.

Some shippers say they’ll only ship to a PayPal verified address, but I’ve found a note to them explaining the situation suffices.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-19-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The best way I've found to combat this is have the buyer redirect it to a local CVS (for UPS) or Walgreens (for FEDEX). The stores hold it in the back and you have to show ID to pick it up. Much safer than just leaving on the porch.
Until things get back to normal, it's probably best to insist on shipping to a nearby pickup location so that there is some record of a guitar getting in the correct hands. Leaving it up to the recipient is bound to go wrong in some cases.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Until things get back to normal, it's probably best to insist on shipping to a nearby pickup location so that there is some record of a guitar getting in the correct hands. Leaving it up to the recipient is bound to go wrong in some cases.
This is probably wisest. Skips the "out for delivery" step, keeps the item out of the weather. And if they bring your package out to the counter with visible damage you can "refuse delivery," which isn't possible when it gets dumped on your porch.

Couch Standards
Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Do I still need to sign for my package?
Quote:
In the interest of employee and customer safety, UPS’s Signature Required guidelines are temporarily being adjusted such that consignees will no longer need to sign for UPS Signature Required deliveries. Despite this adjusted process the driver will still need to make contact with the consignee. The consignee must, at the time of delivery, acknowledge that UPS is making a delivery and, if applicable, show government issued photo ID.
https://www.ups.com/ca/en/about/news...t-updates.page

This is the Canadian page for UPS.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM

I think where you live may have more to
Do with which shipper you prefer.
FedEx is awful. Theve left stuff out in the
Rain for me at my neighbors. Several times.
When I found out a 6000 dollar mandolin
Was being shipped by them I jumped through
All their hoops to get it delivered
To their pickup location. Now
I use that feature whenever an expensive
Item is coming. Ups for me here
Is much better. I dont have to worry
About theft. Things are safe in a small rural
community. Its FedEx constant misdeliveries
And dropoffs in bad weather that concern me.
Also I find it funny to watch their tracking history.
I've seen packages bounce back and forth between
Mass nh and maine before being delivered to me in vt.
Like mass then NH then maine then back to mass then nh then vt.
Really seems inefficient to me but it's not my buisness.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
This is most disturbing since I have a build from Emerald due in February. I think all the major shipping options are bad these days.
Yes!! Call Chloe Frances....Tell her you want this sent Fully insured and you will probably also want to pick it up at UPS...Nothing you tell them will happen so be home to cover yourself...!

I really hope this helps Frances! Their Shipping through UPS is at your risk,,,not theirs....Speak with Alistair if you have to....Charles
Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina4 View Post
Yes!! Call Chloe Frances....Tell her you want this sent Fully insured and you will probably also want to pick it up at UPS...Nothing you tell them will happen so be home to cover yourself...!

I really hope this helps Frances! Their Shipping through UPS is at your risk,,,not theirs....Speak with Alistair if you have to....Charles
Thanks for the advice. I will do so as the time gets closer. I usually have my guitars delivered to my work because someone is always here (24/7). But the times have certainly changed.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
... the times have certainly changed.
Times have changed for everyone delivering everything, since there's so much more of it. Not entirely bad if it keeps people out of their cars.

Couch Standards
Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I think where you live may have more to
Do with which shipper you prefer.
FedEx is awful. Theve left stuff out in the
Rain for me at my neighbors. Several times.
When I found out a 6000 dollar mandolin
Was being shipped by them I jumped through
All their hoops to get it delivered
To their pickup location. Now
I use that feature whenever an expensive
Item is coming. Ups for me here
Is much better. I dont have to worry
About theft. Things are safe in a small rural
community. Its FedEx constant misdeliveries
And dropoffs in bad weather that concern me.
Also I find it funny to watch their tracking history.
I've seen packages bounce back and forth between
Mass nh and maine before being delivered to me in vt.
Like mass then NH then maine then back to mass then nh then vt.
Really seems inefficient to me but it's not my buisness.
I wonder why this is. Is it their hiring process? Do they purposely hire the worst people possible? Or is it that they are trained to be irresponsible? I just wonder how a company can be so universally incompetent. I've never had any problems with FedEx myself, but it seems everyone else does.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I would have something expensive held at the FedEx office or redirected to a local Walgreens (pharmacy). They've been really loose on the signature thing because I don't think they are requiring the drivers to get it because of COVID-19, or at least they weren't for a while.

We get wine from a couple of clubs and they are always supposed to be signed for by an adult. Last one that came I saw the driver literally toss the box (6 bottles, well packed) a good 6 feet to the front step, turn and jog back to the truck. Maintaining social distancing a bit overdone . (But, I know they are rated, and probably paid, on how much they deliver, regardless of how much time it takes them, so it's the delivery companies that are causing this, and likely taking advantage of everyone while at it.)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I've never done it as a shipper but as a buyer I always login to my UPS or FEDEX account and redirect to one of those pharmacies. That allows the seller to still ship to a paypal verified address. It also is helpful for when I was out of town last week and couldn't be home for a delivery. They delivered to Walgreens who held it for a day and half and I went to pick it up. No waiting for the guitar to acclimate or sitting in a FEDEX shed with absolutely no climate control.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've never done it as a shipper but as a buyer I always login to my UPS or FEDEX account and redirect to one of those pharmacies. That allows the seller to still ship to a paypal verified address. It also is helpful for when I was out of town last week and couldn't be home for a delivery. They delivered to Walgreens who held it for a day and half and I went to pick it up. No waiting for the guitar to acclimate or sitting in a FEDEX shed with absolutely no climate control.
i do the same but when I'm dealing with a small company, it's easy enough to get them to ship to the drop off location so I don't have to make the change myself. I've had all my custom guitars and boutique rack gear shipped from the builder that way. It gives me an added layer of protection.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion