The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2020, 10:23 PM

Default Pickup Suggestion For Guild D40 Traditional

So I was gifted an incredible Guild D40 Traditional for my 30th a couple days ago. I need to have the end pin installed but I figured if I go through that process I might as well put a pickup in it and use the end pin as a jack as well.

Some things to know, I rarely play plugged in and I do not want something visible. My Yamaha has a passive piezo that is ideal, because for the very few times I play plugged in it will get me by. I think I'm leaning toward a under bridge one instead. I hear lots of good things about the K&K, but they're a little out of my price range. I have a Fishman UST that a generous member gave me I could use but I have that one for my folk guitar, I could pull that out and use it but I figure I'd like to try the UBT type. I've also heard good things about JJB, they're much cheaper but is it odd to put that in a high end guitar?
Dazzo I've been recommended as well.

What do you think and which model of that brand? Affordability is very important i have very little spending cash, this guitar was not something I could have afforded normally! But I don't want a quacking duck.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:06 AM

Dazzo is much more expensive than K&K. If price is a concern the JJB seems to be well respected here so it should do a very good job in your new guitar. If you really like the idea of having a K&K then take the time to save up for it. Seeing as you don’t play plugged in often the added time frame shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Dazzo is much more expensive than K&K. If price is a concern the JJB seems to be well respected here so it should do a very good job in your new guitar. If you really like the idea of having a K&K then take the time to save up for it. Seeing as you don’t play plugged in often the added time frame shouldn’t be an issue.
Thanks, it's just I didn't want to bring it in to have the strap button installed and then bring it in again to have it removed and a jack/ button installed.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Ok, assuming you don't want to spend Dazzo money, the JJB will work fine. Just keep in mind if your other guitar has onboard electronics, you WILL need a preamp or a DI with a 1 MEG input impedance.

This is very important. Onboard controls and a battery indicate a pre amp in the guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification