The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwatcher View Post
What do you all suggest for a guitar maintenace pad or mat?

I see online products from Music Nomad, Riff Smith, StewMac, and Mr. Power.

Is there some generic neoprene or rubber mat material available for less cost?

The StewMac product looks great, but as always.. it's offered at a premium price, given how short it is relative to competitive products.
I guess with a neck cradle holding up the other end of your guitar, it's sufficient in size? I'd rather not have to buy two for $22 each.

I have a nice custom, wood neck support with foam cushioning. How long and wide should the ideal guitar repair mat be?

Thank you!
I use old bath towels. Easy to shake out, washable, and there's usually an abundance of them that need re-purposing.

I have the StewMac neck rest because I got it for next to nothing. It works OK as a neck rest, not that great as a deadblow bag for fretting. I previously used a heavy plastic bag filled with play sand and wrapped in a couple layers of the aforementioned bath towel.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Here's what I ended up getting. Like I said in my past post, it's a yoga mat, by Covacure. Dimensions are 72" X 26" X 1/4".

It's very big for a guitar repair mat, but I'm making it work. I have it covering my desk space (overlapping the desk actually) and doubled-up under the main part of the guitar for almost 12mm (or 1/2") worth of non-slip padding.

There's room for everything I need to for my repairs (those bags have tools, polish, and guitar wipe rags for cleaning.

Thanks again for your ideas. Tonight.. I'll change my strings, polish the frets, clean and condition the fretboard and wipe down the rest of the guitar.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:57 PM

Carpet cut offs and left overs would be a whole lot cheaper, but I'm glad that you're happy with your choice.

I'm not rich so I chose the old carpet.

Ron
Old 10-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMay View Post
Carpet cut offs and left overs would be a whole lot cheaper, but I'm glad that you're happy with your choice.

I'm not rich so I chose the old carpet.

Ron
Your set up looks quite useful though, especially the carpet covered neck rest.

Thanks for posting. I'd have to look up who has carpet near me (I can't think of any nearby stores), and would have had to drive there to pick it up. I guess I went with convenience, since I could order the mat online and had it delivered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair