The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 05:05 PM

I, unlike a lot of folks here, prefer slightly thinner picks, particularly with richer sounding guitars. I use all these:

1. D'Addario Cortex .70mm
2. D'Addario Classic .70mm
3. Dunlop Ultex .73mm
4. PickBoy Vintage T-shell Classic .75mm

Although they produce similar tones, each is slightly different, all are inexpensive, and I switch around with them to accommodate the sound I'm looking for.

The Vintage T-shell Classic is a little brighter than the other three. The pick I grab most of the time these days for my Collings OM1A is the D'Addario Cortex.

Last edited by jrb715; 10-06-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
In addition to all of the fantastic pick recommendations you've received, have you also considered changing strings to brighten your sound?
Plus one on that. I normally use PB on my guitars but there is one the I brighten a little with 80/20 strings.

Another trick is to sharpen the point on an existing pick. If you have an old pick to experiment on, try making the attack point a bit sharper with a file and see if it helps.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Plus one on that. I normally use PB on my guitars but there is one the I brighten a little with 80/20 strings.

Another trick is to sharpen the point on an existing pick. If you have an old pick to experiment on, try making the attack point a bit sharper with a file and see if it helps.
I will say, even though I swore off of Elixirs, I decided to try some Nanoweb 80/20 I had lying around for my Taylor, because it was the only Light/Mediums I had around for full-step-down tuning (light top 3 strings, medium bottom 3).

Holy crow 80/20 are noticeably brighter than PB Elixir Nanos. I imagine that extends down to uncoated variants as well. So if the OP wants to brighten up their tone and they're using PB, switching to 80/20 may make quite a bit of difference depending on your guitar. It did on my Taylor K14.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-06-2020, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procos View Post
So my Collings OM1 has a more mellow tone than I would like. My D2H has a nice crisp bright tone that I love. My OM1 is so fun to play but I would just like to get a little more brightness and crispness out of the tone. I switched to a V-Picks Euro II and it really change the tone for the better but if I could get even a little more brightness and fullness out of the guitar it might end up being the perfect guitar. Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Hi, I play mostly Collings guitars . My DS1 (sitka/hog) is a very powerful instrument with quite a bright sound compared to me DS2h (sitka/EIR) which has a much fuller sound.

I assume that you are using light gauge strings on the OM1, -either D'add EJ16s or JPs or Martins.

Out of the three string makes I'd suggest that Martins have a little less bass.

For me here is only one make of pick that should be used on Collings and that is Blue Chip.

I'd suggest the BC TAD (large triangle), and it you want even more treble (which I find rather strange) then I'd start with a TAD 40 (only 1 m/m) which is what I use on my smaller guitars with light gauge strings.

TAD50/60 for medium gauge on larger guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion