The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2020, 04:01 PM

Default Taylor 322CE 12 fret intonation

I love the playability of the guitar, but I'm finding major intonation issues on the 6th string particularly tuned to dropped D and worse when using a capo. 12th string harmonics are spot on but fretted notes are really sharp.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something that a setup will fix?
Old 10-03-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
I love the playability of the guitar, but I'm finding major intonation issues on the 6th string particularly tuned to dropped D and worse when using a capo. 12th string harmonics are spot on but fretted notes are really sharp.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something that a setup will fix?
Nope, I've noticed nothing unusual about my 322's intonation. My guess is the nut slots need to be looked at. From what I've read, too broad a contact point where the string rests in the slot might give you intonation problems.

"If the string doesn't "bear" on the leading edge (the edge facing the first fret) it is likely to sound bad. It might rattle or buzz in the string groove, it might just lose some overtones, especially the highs, it might sound fuzzy, and in the worst cases it might play terribly out of tune as well."

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...uts/nuts3.html
Old 10-03-2020, 08:46 PM

Have you had a proper setup done?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-03-2020, 09:20 PM

The worsening problem with capo and drop tuning is kind of par for the course. With the capo, you're fetting the string in two places at once, and with drop tuning, the % tension change when fretting is greater (esp if you're not super light). Given the guitar is already short scale, i would suggest gauging up the strings you intend to drop tune. This will only reduce the problem, nothing cures it 100%.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
The worsening problem with capo and drop tuning is kind of par for the course. With the capo, you're fetting the string in two places at once, and with drop tuning, the % tension change when fretting is greater (esp if you're not super light). Given the guitar is already short scale, i would suggest gauging up the strings you intend to drop tune. This will only reduce the problem, nothing cures it 100%.

You could do some experimenting and observe how the problem gets even worse in drop C, for example.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:46 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I haven't had a proper setup done so I think that's the next step. Now to find a local luthier I can trust.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I haven't had a proper setup done so I think that's the next step. Now to find a local luthier I can trust.
Be sure to tell them what your concerns/issues are. Most luthiers are very generous with their knowledge and you'll learn a thing or two yourself. Good luck.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Generally you shouldn't have a significant intonation issue with a quality instrument (which a Taylor is), but not surprised it gets worse using a capo and in alternate tunings. As said above with a capo fretted notes are now fretted 2x and the 322's I believe are short scale(?) which can be a little finicky with alternate tunings. As others have said, best bet is to get a proper set-up (including BrooklynBob's advice) to give ur intonation more "tolerance" for capoing and alternate tunings. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
... and the 322's I believe are short scale(?) which can be a little finicky with alternate tunings.
Yes they are a short scale guitar, my 322ce is a 14 fret model, they also come in a 12 fret version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion