The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Power supply?

My second post, need help, please. Was going to do the all in one like a boss ve-8 or the TC pa, but wanted to keep it simple and changed. I now have a Boss Tu-3, AD-2 and a Mic Mechanic 2. Thats all I wanted and need. All battery operated so I wouldnt have to get a bunch of cables and power cords, etc, only needing one outlet for my amp, so simple. Well of course, I now know, these batteries just don't last very long and will be costly in the end run. Yes, I have used the search function and read about this same fact. So now I will need to get some sort of power, for the small pedal board, just those 3 pedals and maybe one more, for now. I have read alot about power bricks and cables and power cords and daisy chains etc. What can you guys recomend for just 3 pedals, thats isolated(so not daisy chained?)? I know there's alot of stuff about this on here but thought I'd get some fresh ideas as well, thanks for any help...
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM

BOXKING BK05

Would one battery for all help?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-24-2020, 02:03 PM

I own the large, One Spot (something 12 or other), and it is very awesome.

However, I also own a One Spot and the Snark equivalent, and daisy chain 5 pedals off it. I have zero "noise", i.e. AC 60hz hum as long as my pedal power is plugged into the same electrical outlet as the PA/amp.

I'm not sure if using the 5 way daisy chain and having 2 unused would cause any issues, but you don't HAVE to buy a $250 pedal power unit to get "clean" power.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 PM

A $20 One Spot and a multi-pedal cable to go with it is usually all you need.

Whatever you decide to use make sure the supply polarity matches your effects pedal needs.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin View Post
My second post, need help, please. Was going to do the all in one like a boss ve-8 or the TC pa, but wanted to keep it simple and changed. I now have a Boss Tu-3, AD-2 and a Mic Mechanic 2. Thats all I wanted and need. All battery operated so I wouldnt have to get a bunch of cables and power cords, etc, only needing one outlet for my amp, so simple. Well of course, I now know, these batteries just don't last very long and will be costly in the end run. Yes, I have used the search function and read about this same fact. So now I will need to get some sort of power, for the small pedal board, just those 3 pedals and maybe one more, for now. I have read alot about power bricks and cables and power cords and daisy chains etc. What can you guys recomend for just 3 pedals, thats isolated(so not daisy chained?)? I know there's alot of stuff about this on here but thought I'd get some fresh ideas as well, thanks for any help...
Hi Kingfin

This fits all my needs. It's a battery and powersupply (self-contained) which gives me 9 outputs in 4 options plus standard USB out (9v, 12v, 18v).

I've used it with my ToneDexter for over 5 hours and never had it even drop to 75% level. It's a 9V 500mA device.

I don't know about the 'isolated' part of your question.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

You generally get what you pay for, but you may not care to. I'd look at the general range and not buy the cheapest price level. I would think you could find something in the $75 or so price level that would get you above the very cheapest components. MXR and Electro Harmonics are two I found quickly.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-24-2020, 06:39 PM

Default Hmm

Good info guys, all good points. I was thinking the 1spot (simple, inexpensive) but didnt know much about the rechargeable ones (1 less outlet needed, a lil more expensive but maybe I find a deal). I will look into both and will let ya know. (eventually
Question, why do some rechargeable batteries cost less than the non rechargeable ones?

Thanks...

-yeah you do get what ya pay for. I bought an XLR cable off EBay for like 7 bucks, plugged it in and hiss city. Immediately bought another for 15$ and it sounds clean as a whistle. Should've known, ha.

Last edited by kingfin; 09-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:28 AM

The advantage of isolated power supplies is the potential noise from the tuner doesn’t get transmitted down the power line to other pedals. I had this issue with an older Cioks (I forget which model but the outputs weren’t isolated); when tuning there would be noise in the system, especially when an overdrive pedal was already active (thus boosting the gain in the system). It’s basically digital noise leaking through the linked power connectors. Our power sockets in the house are all grounded so bad grounding wasn’t the issue.

Eventually I upgraded to Cioks DC10 (so I could power the Tonebone Trimode from the power supply and not a separate ps) and the problem disappeared.

How much this is an issue for you I guess will depend on your setup and how obvious it would be to listeners but it’s worth keeping in mind.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-25-2020, 04:14 AM

The one spots work ok, until they don't. Over time, they will degrade, get noisy and intermittently start to fail. Once they start to give you trouble, they're pretty much done, so you could just replace it, they are cheap enough..

Voodo Labs Pedal Power is probably the best one I've used yet. I've had one for close to 15 years on my main pedal board. Never once, has it been a problem. it runs 2 line 6 pedals, along with 4 or 5 of other standard 9 volters, along with a Radial ToneBone that runs off the "convenience" outlet.

They aint cheap, but you'll never need to worry about it again.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Just a heads up, after taking your input, I went with the Joyo 5, it's easy, works as described and just what I needed. Thanks..
Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
BOXKING BK05

Would one battery for all help?
I've been using a couple of the BoxKing power bricks for 2 or 3 years now.

On one pedal board it's powering a Yamaha MG06X mixer, JamMan Solo looper, Boss Compressor and a NUX Stageman Floor acoustic pedal.

On another board it's powering a Zoom A3, HOF Reverb pedal, Boss Compressor Pedal, Ditto 2x looper and a Polytune 2 tuner pedal.

They hold their charge for a long time, they're quiet and they don't take up a lot of space.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification