The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2020, 01:10 PM

My 2014 custom shop D-18 has had it happen twice now on opposite sides. Warranty covered both repairs. Martin had issues with the glue used in that time period.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:15 AM

Does anyone know whether the glue problem was fixed by the time the 2016 models rolled out?

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

FYI - I see a Martin D-28 1931 Authentic for sale with this problem. It was made with hide glue.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
I have a 2014 HD28V that has one spot of popped binding. I'm pretty sure the warranty covers it. I talked to my repair guy but haven't taken it in yet. As a couple folks have said, it'll likely happen to more than one spot, so I'm also not looking forward to more trips to the repair shop, but whatcha gonna do?

I also have an '84 M-38 who's binding is starting to pop. Not sure about the warranty covering that one, but it shouldn't cost too much to get it repaired. None of my other Martin's (about a dozen or so) are showing any binding issues.
The plastic binding has shrunk - it just "wants" to do that - and the glue joint was not good enough to keep it from pulling away. It will keep shrinking, making the repair a bigger job, and possibly more visible, the longer you wait. Up to you, of course. If it hasn't popped off anywhere else, it might not. Not every guitar they built in those years has a problem, in fact, I've read that Martin says most don't.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The plastic binding has shrunk - it just "wants" to do that - and the glue joint was not good enough to keep it from pulling away. It will keep shrinking, making the repair a bigger job, and possibly more visible, the longer you wait. Up to you, of course. If it hasn't popped off anywhere else, it might not. Not every guitar they built in those years has a problem, in fact, I've read that Martin says most don't.
Good to know. When i talked to my repair guy he said he could do it in a week or so, so it's not like I have to wait 6 months for it. I had already decided to go ahead and take them in (I have a couple other guitars that need some fret work), but that info is good to hear!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 09-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
FYI - I see a Martin D-28 1931 Authentic for sale with this problem. It was made with hide glue.
I don't know if they used hide glue on the bindings on those models.

The original, celluloid binding would have been "glued" with acetone, or an acetone solvent type of glue like Duco cement. I don't know what they use on the authentics. (The modern "bolatron" plastic does not soften with acetone, so that kind of glue is no longer used for that plastic.)
Old 09-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Hide glue should not matter, since it is not used for plastic bindings.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:31 PM

My OM-35 had the same problem. Martin paid for the repair, but I had to flip the bill for shipping. Cost me over $200. Wasn't to pleased on a fairly new, and expensive guitar. I ended up selling her as I think this whole process soured me on Martin Guitars.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Hide glue should not matter, since it is not used for plastic bindings.
Interesting. So when Martin states that it is made with hide glue construction it's disingenuous. Spoon Philips states that it is made with hide glue construction throughout.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Does anyone know whether the glue problem was fixed by the time the 2016 models rolled out?
I'm pretty sure it was. It seems to have started in 2013, ran through 2014 and into 2015, but was fixed during the 2015. Seems like a few 2015 guitars had the problem, many (most?) didn't. 2016 should be fine I believe.

-Ray
Old 09-08-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Spoon Philips states that it is made with hide glue construction throughout.
That is a reference to the wood joints. Hide glue is not generally used for inlays either. Wood glues are poor candidates for gluing nonporous materials.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair