The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2020, 12:15 AM

Default Binding coming off, how common is this?

I just realized my Martin d18's binding is coming off on the top. I think low humidity caused it. Because it feels too tight to get back on its place.

Should I immediately get it fixed? Can it wait a couple of months? Would it get worse if I leave it like this?

It's crazy my cheap chinese guitars never had these issues.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:15 AM

What year is it? The post 2012 had that problem for a few years. Some issue with the glue.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:53 AM

It seems to be pretty common on Martins built around 2016, give or take. I have the same issue on my 0017S, although the separation is only noticeable at the waist. I was told, or read, that it's caused by the binding shrinking, and therefore it cannot simply be repaired by re-gluing/clamping.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
What year is it? The post 2012 had that problem for a few years. Some issue with the glue.
It's probably 2013. But I've had it for only 3 months
Old 09-07-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
It seems to be pretty common on Martins built around 2016, give or take. I have the same issue on my 0017S, although the separation is only noticeable at the waist. I was told, or read, that it's caused by the binding shrinking, and therefore it cannot simply be repaired by re-gluing/clamping.
Yes, I believe mine is caused by the same thing. So, you left it like that? Is it causing any problems other than cosmetics?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fts06 View Post
Yes, I believe mine is caused by the same thing. So, you left it like that? Is it causing any problems other than cosmetics?
No, I'll be getting it repaired at the importer's expense before the 1 year warranty expires. It is just cosmetic, but I think the repair will be noticeable.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

So, what is Martin’s view on this? Are they covering repairs like this...which is clearly a manufacturing defect, under their limited lifetime warranty? I once backed away from buying a nice 0000-18 custom because of the binding shrinking and coming away from the waist of the guitar. I was going to allow the shop to have it repaired, but I was told that the luthier they used could repair it! This seems to be a fairly common occurrence with Martin guitars.

Could it be repaired without replacing the entire binding strip?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I've got a 2013 D-28 custom that the binding has become lose on the back at the waist. Got it fixed and now the opposite side of the binding at the waist has worked free. Easy fix if you have the right glue and some binding tape.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:02 AM

This is a common repair on Martins. I heat the binding to stretch it back into place, and reglue it with CA (super glue). Depending on the overall cosmetic condition, I may touch up the lacquer. All plastic shrinks to varying degrees, and it is not caused by low humidity. Martin's problem is due to the choice of glue......an effort to eliminate fumes that may be harmful to the workers.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I bought two pre owned Martins from this era that both had binding issues. On one, the finish around the binding had sunk and left the binding raised compared to the top. The second guitar the binding was falling away from the top, almost floppy, on the top and the back.

The second guitar was a Custom Shop Martin.

I can't speak for how the guitars were treated by the previous owner - it could be the result of poor humidification. But I've owned a couple of dozen guitars over the past 4 or 5 years and only these two Martins had this issue. My understanding is what has been posted above - that Martin had a chronic glue/binding issue for a few years there.

The first guitar I sold and disclosed the issue. The second guitar I paid a luthier to repair it and disclosed the repair. The second guitar was well repaired and you couldn't tell it ever had a binding issue.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-07-2020, 10:20 AM

It is very common and not limited to Martin. I have had it happen to 4 different brands of guitars over the yrs. Take it to someone you trust and have it fixed. Usually not a big deal.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Common with Martin.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Recalling what I read on a couple of forums, it was caused by a change in glue at Martin, and possibly other places, probably some sourcing problem or environmental legislation impacting production or use of whatever they'd been using. I believe they've covered repairs to original owners, possibly just in the US (per that warranty) but that's about it

And, the quality/visibility of the repairs depends a lot on how big the gap has become, i.e., the amount of shrinkage, and the (authorized or not) repair person's skills.

The glue problem was pre-2016 (IIRC) for a relatively short span (a couple years?) as it showed up pretty quickly, and they switched glue so should not be showing up in more recent production.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Just got bummed out there for a minute. I just purchased a brand new Martin D-42 and never heard of this binding issue. Hopefully they corrected this.
This new guitar is absolutely fantastic..love it.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:37 AM

I have a 2014 HD28V that has one spot of popped binding. I'm pretty sure the warranty covers it. I talked to my repair guy but haven't taken it in yet. As a couple folks have said, it'll likely happen to more than one spot, so I'm also not looking forward to more trips to the repair shop, but whatcha gonna do?

I also have an '84 M-38 who's binding is starting to pop. Not sure about the warranty covering that one, but it shouldn't cost too much to get it repaired. None of my other Martin's (about a dozen or so) are showing any binding issues.

A bunch of stuff...lol

Last edited by kego; 09-07-2020 at 03:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair