The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-06-2020, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
For a typical song (whatever that is to you) how many days, weeks, months, years does it take to practice it to get it perfect for you?
Hi Sam,
I think I've got a composition 'perfect' when the whole thing makes musical sense to my ears.

Sometimes that takes years, and sometimes it's only a couple of months.

As far as being able to play, or 'nail it' at will?

That's a meaningless thing to me, to be blunt.

I came to grips with not being cut out to be an entertainer, or performer, long ago, and the day I came to grips with that was big load off my mind.

I have no issues with piecing together a 'take' in the studio so that it flows the way I 'accidentally' play it when nobody is looking/watching/listening.

It's important that it IS something that I'm capable of playing, at times. I won't edit a solo piece together that I can't actually play.

More important is the composition itself.

I don't take it to the studio unless it is ready to be expressed in front of the mics.

That's my idea of "perfect".

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-06-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorite comments comes from a old Phil Keaggy VHS instructional tape - remember those? where he talked about "the myth of the perfect performance". I figure if someone like Phil never gets it perfect, I can also live with a bit of imperfection.

How long does it take to get a song good enough to perform and/or record? Really depends on the song I have tunes I wrote or arranged that I performed or recorded with a few days. I have others I've been trying and failing to nail for years...
Old 09-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

One person's opinion of "perfect" is different from that of someone else's and IMO the bar of "perfection" for live playing is at a different height than that for a final recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-06-2020, 03:29 PM

Some great advice here!
I kind of view the performance/recording issue as almost one in the same. I try to get my tunes together as "performance ready" before I record them. Nearly 100% are "best single take" with no splicing or "punch in". It's just kind of the way I roll with this. I home record....no studio.....so I have the time to get it is good as it can be, which by the way is never "perfect".
How long?? Weeks to months.......I have one now that's been 6-8 months.....working out a few things and more importantly which guitar will do the best by way of this tune. So a lot of "auditioning" going on with this as well as practice. Often waiting brings in a little change here and there that's better to my ears. IMO it's worth the wait!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write