The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-02-2020, 10:15 PM

Default The top of this guitar is being pulled up at the bridge

So I have my brother in laws guitar with me right now, he's wanting to learn how to play, he has this old Hummingbird copy called a Mansfield, which im near positive is an Ibanez replated.

Anyway, I knew the bridge was cracked and I thought the nut was so i was gonna put a new bridge on etc. Got it home and took a look, the action is really high but the neck relief is good, almost straight actually, upon a second look i see the that though the bridge isn't pulling off the top, its actually pulling THE top, its bubbled there, very obviously pulling the top, though the top is not cracked.

I'm not a tech though I've replaced a couple bridges before on cheap guitars for friends. This guitar is not one he's gonna wanna spend a lot on, is this a possible fix, and if so how? Or is this a luthier job? Guitar garbage? Id post pictures but I can never figure out how to post a picture on this site, even with the step by step description!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-03-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Did you look inside the guitar to see if any braces are loose?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
So I have my brother in laws guitar with me right now, he's wanting to learn how to play, he has this old Hummingbird copy called a Mansfield, which im near positive is an Ibanez replated.

Anyway, I knew the bridge was cracked and I thought the nut was so i was gonna put a new bridge on etc. Got it home and took a look, the action is really high but the neck relief is good, almost straight actually, upon a second look i see the that though the bridge isn't pulling off the top, its actually pulling THE top, its bubbled there, very obviously pulling the top, though the top is not cracked.

I'm not a tech though I've replaced a couple bridges before on cheap guitars for friends. This guitar is not one he's gonna wanna spend a lot on, is this a possible fix, and if so how? Or is this a luthier job? Guitar garbage? Id post pictures but I can never figure out how to post a picture on this site, even with the step by step description!

Severe guitar belly bulge could be an indicator of bracing failure. Take the strings off, and stick your hand in the sound hole and get a feel of the bracing. Don’t be surprised if one or more are sagging inside the body or split.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-03-2020 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Bridge Doctor maybe?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...SAAEgI2Z_D_BwE

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

This seems like a great tool. I have a 12 string that’s unplayable because of severe belly bulge. I checked the bracing and it seems to be fine. I might just buy that thing.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
This seems like a great tool. I have a 12 string that’s unplayable because of severe belly bulge. I checked the bracing and it seems to be fine. I might just buy that thing.
StewMac Tech Tip: We recommend the brass pin mount version for 12-string guitars.

There are plenty Bridge Doctor clips on YouTube - here's one being installed on a 1972 Epiphone 12-string.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-03-2020, 12:41 AM

I’ve seen this happen on laminated tops - not an easy fix.

Check to see if it is a laminated top, then get back to us.

George
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Is the top in front of the bridge sinking/dipping in towards the soundhole?
If so, the belly behind the bridge and high action may indicate need for a neck reset.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Id post pictures but I can never figure out how to post a picture on this site, even with the step by step description!
If this thread isn't enough, PM me, if you like. I'll be glad to try to help you. You're a charter member, so you have three choices. You may attach photos from your home computer, use the Tapatalk/AGF app or a third-party host. Contact me if you'd like assistance.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 AM

Fix this stuff weekly, im sure others here are the same.

To offer advice, need a photo of the top and photo of the bracing inside under the bridge.

Everything is repairable.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Arg this friggin thing, still can't upload, trying my PC now as opposed to my mac last night, still can't, everytime I try the upload option it says site can't be reached. Very frustrating, just buckled and became a charter member yesterday for the sole purpose of being able to upload photos. I'll try again later this morning and i'll respond to the comments here.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Did you look inside the guitar to see if any braces are loose?
+1. Using a Bridge Doctor if you haven’t at least done this is just like putting a band aid on a broken bone.

OP: Get yourself a flashlight and a dental mirror and look for light leaks. Tap lightly around on the top atop the bracing and listen for dull thuds (as opposed to the normal drum like reverberation.) If you find any that means either the brace has come loose (best case scenario) or is split along the grain (Slightly worse case scenario.)

Fixing it may not be hard. I’ve seen it done with the use of Titebond and a tennis ball stuck inside as a caul.

Also, check to see that the bridge is still completely attached to the top and is not split itself. When a top fails many things have to happen in conjunction.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 PM

I can't seem to see our feel any braces that have come loose, is that even possible with it being bellied so bad? I decided to try the bridge doctor btw, I'm going to order one in. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:28 PM

Dont buy a bridge doctor, snake oil stuff IMO
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-06-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Dont buy a bridge doctor, snake oil stuff IMO

This interesting. Seen a few YouTube videos and look like it works. What’s your personal experience with it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair