The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Sweet thanks! I'm going to see if I can find something like that.
I cut a 2" circle out of a piece of corian using a hole saw in the drill press. I ran a piece of 1/4" all thread through the center and sandwiched it with a nut top and bottom to hold the corian and chucked up the all thread in drill press. With it spinning in the press, I used a coarse sanding block to round the outside edges. Then unbolted it all and drilled the center hole out in the corian to 3/4" , or whatever size you need
Old 07-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphb77 View Post
I cut a 2" circle out of a piece of corian using a hole saw in the drill press. I ran a piece of 1/4" all thread through the center and sandwiched it with a nut top and bottom to hold the corian and chucked up the all thread in drill press. With it spinning in the press, I used a coarse sanding block to round the outside edges. Then unbolted it all and drilled the center hole out in the corian to 3/4" , or whatever size you need
Another very good idea, thanks.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphb77 View Post
You must be better equipped than me. My budget tools would not hold up to cutting corian. If you've been cutting tile and have some corian scrap laying around then I could see how that would work for you. I feel like I spent too much for my solution but I typically frequent my local hardware store for "bits n' bobs" so I earn loyalty coupons.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
You must be better equipped than me. My budget tools would not hold up to cutting corian. If you've been cutting tile and have some corian scrap laying around then I could see how that would work for you. I feel like I spent too much for my solution but I typically frequent my local hardware store for "bits n' bobs" so I earn loyalty coupons.
Ehhh, you'd be surprised...corian cuts and drills pretty easy. It smells like poison though. I also took a look through the plumbing aisle and others looking for something similar to stewmac's setup. As long as you found something to work is the only matter
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Binding Jig Update

I'm close to doing 100 guitars with this binding jig and have been happy with the results but...

This thread and the associated Flickr set have had consistent activity since I posted it so I thought I'd do this update about my most recent upgrade on the binding jig set up.

An issue that I have been having is the fiddly router base that I used with the Bosch Palm Router. The adjustment don't reliably work and there is too much play in the set base. So if you are contemplating making this jig set up or already made one with the Bosch Palm Router and the standard little router holder I recommend upgrading to the Bosch Plunge Router Base:

The handles come off easily and it works like a charm. The router base has the same base screw pattern as the standard base so you don't need to drill any new holes in your jig.

The Plunge Router Base holds the router much more accurately and securely. The router attaches and releases from the base much more easily if you use the router for other work. Additionally, you can have the plunge feature that makes setting depth settings effortless. I set the depth stop on the router base for my deepest cut which is for my standard binding and purfling.

When attaching the new base I was careful to be sure the router bit was properly aligned. The center of the cutting bit should be dead on with the center of the dumb bell guides. When this is done correctly you will get a consistent depth of cut because it will remain the same depth if the guitar tilts one way or the other along the path of the cut. This tilting can be unavoidable in tight places like the inside of a cut away. Generally when properly set it is just one less thing to worry about while routing.

Bosch has an alignment tool that is helpful when attaching the base to the jig:

It is 1/4" for the router side and 1/2" for the dumb bell side. When it is attached you can easily center exactly where the base should be tightened down to the jig:

If you are using a different brand router it's likely they have a plunge router base as well and you may want to consider the advantages. The plunge router bases usually costs over a $100 so certainly the expense may be a consideration. For me I would have been willing to pay the extra buck for every guitar I've done to not have to fiddle around with that stupid little router base I've been fighting with all these years!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 AM

A nice enhancement to a good design Mark.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Freud Mortising Router Bit 16-106

I just got this new router bit for my binding jig:

I currently am working on this heavily figured Sapele guitar:

This type of figure is usually a chip out nightmare and I have to say this new bit worked Like a dream!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-11-2020, 09:58 AM

That guitar body looks like a delicious cake and I want to cut a piece out of it and have with ice cream
Old 07-12-2020, 04:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That guitar body looks like a delicious cake and I want to cut a piece out of it and have with ice cream
Thanks redir, it is a beautiful wood set which is why I was so worried about getting a lot of chip out when routing for binding. I think I cut about 40 guitars with the previous bit so it was past time for a change. This new one cut through the wood like butter without any kickback. It’s wonderful when something works better that anticipated!

Mark

Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks redir, it is a beautiful wood set which is why I was so worried about getting a lot of chip out when routing for binding. I think I cut about 40 guitars with the previous bit so it was past time for a change. This new one cut through the wood like butter without any kickback. It’s wonderful when something works better that anticipated!

Mark
Great to hear it went well, a bit that size turning at router speed must have been a little stressful for the first time, like I need a few beers before and after to chill out. And considering the guitar you were trying it out on....don't have the words for it, just glad it went well.

Bruce,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair