The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I've enjoyed this from the moment the (well-deserved) award was announced and look forward to seeing and hearing the rest of the story as it contiues to unfold. Cotten, I know this award and the process of choosing a builder put you in a very delicate situation, but I think you've handled it with the amazing grace & wisdom we've all come to expect from and admire in you. Well done!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Me

Outstanding choice! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

We are extremely humbled, excited and yet blessed beyond words that John has chosen us to build this very special AGF Outstanding Service Award guitar. This must have been a very difficult choice to make from such an esteemed and talented group of AGF sponsor / builders. We are anxiously looking forward to the exciting journey ahead and rest assured that Mary will shower John with LOTS of pictures so y'all can vicariously share in his excitement as we watch the culmination and birth of his well deserved award guitar. Thanks again John.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Thumbs up Fantastic Choice!

As a very happy McKnight owner (Tim's first 12 string) I agree with all previous posts -- which means I don't really need to post this except I do -- because Tim and Mary are truly the "Dream Team" and will make this gift a blessing visually and aurally.

We will all here on the AGF enjoy watching THIS build!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Congratulations on your very fine choice! I look forward to following the ride.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats to you, Tim & Mary...well deserved!
And John, good choice!
This will indeed be fun to watch unfold.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Cotten, Tim & Mary

I'll be looking forward to the build thread, having gone through the process
of a custom build once myself, I can tell you Cotten that you're in for a
wonderful experience.

As far as the identification, I agree that an interior label would be the way to
go, it should be signed and dated by J.R., Tim & Mary and Cotten.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Cotten's a class act, and so are the McKnights. It makes sense for John to get his guitar from the McKnights. Congrats to all involved.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for the kind remarks. We are truly humbled. Knowing that we don't have just ONE customer, we will do our best to please each of you. Anyone who put a dime on this guitar is a part of this event until the first recording by Cotten. To the McKnight customers who are patiently waiting in line, we promise to work over time to keep up the regular work schedule. Tim and I have spoken and he will be taking a week off from his day job so we will spend the vacation in the McKnight shop. According to Dorothy, "There's no place like home."

Cotten, my AGF brother, Kurt, took the words right out of my mouth. "Welcome to the McKnight Guitar Family."

I have spoken to JR about special markings. He's a clever man who had a suggestion or two. We have plenty of time to debate this issue.

wthurman: Q - What model? A - Regular/wood. (Sorry, it's a silly private joke that made me love Ervin Somogyi)

Walkin_man, yes-Sir-ee! Because you are the first to ask I will honor your request and you will definitely get a % of this hugable commission. I vow, right here and now, to give you absolutely 100% of this cyber hug. However, you must share it with all the others who participated in this event.

harvl - if Cotten requests any sort of inlay and you'd like to give it to him as a gift Tim and I will enjoy working with you and showing the world your work. Thank you for the offer.

In all due respect to Cotten, his McKnight guitar will in no way resemble this one which is definitely NOT AT ALL SUBTLE.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Thank you for the kind remarks. We are truly humbled. Knowing that we don't have just ONE customer, we will do our best to please each of you. Anyone who put a dime on this guitar is a part of this event until the first recording by Cotten.

. . . .
We're all part of the McKnight family now!

Bill
Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Walkin_man, yes-Sir-ee! Because you are the first to ask I will honor your request and you will definitely get a % of this hugable commission. I vow, right here and now, to give you absolutely 100% of this cyber hug. However, you must share it with all the others who participated in this event.
Sweet! If anyone sees me walkin' by and wants a cyber hug, don't be shy to let me know. And if any of you are in need of that extra special "Deluxe" hug, I know just the guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJfYAJJYMqg

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM

This will be fun to watch! Congratulations to John, Mary and Tim!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Just wanted to add my congratulations to each and every one of us who are part of the AGF family...it is a privilege to be part of this entire process...and a special congratulations to John, Tim and Mary!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the kind remarks. We are truly humbled. Knowing that we don't have just ONE customer, we will do our best to please each of you. Anyone who put a dime on this guitar is a part of this event until the first recording by Cotten. To the McKnight customers who are patiently waiting in line, we promise to work over time to keep up the regular work schedule. Tim and I have spoken and he will be taking a week off from his day job so we will spend the vacation in the McKnight shop. According to Dorothy, "There's no place like home."

Cotten, my AGF brother, Kurt, took the words right out of my mouth. "Welcome to the McKnight Guitar Family."

I have spoken to JR about special markings. He's a clever man who had a suggestion or two. We have plenty of time to debate this issue.

wthurman: Q - What model? A - Regular/wood. (Sorry, it's a silly private joke that made me love Ervin Somogyi)

harvl - if Cotten requests any sort of inlay and you'd like to give it to him as a gift Tim and I will enjoy working with you and showing the world your work. Thank you for the offer.

In all due respect to Cotten, his McKnight guitar will in no way resemble this one which is definitely NOT AT ALL SUBTLE.

Thanks Mary,

If he wants something he knows where to find me
Do you guys do your own inlay work? Very tasteful and well executed

Harv

Last edited by harvl; 10-28-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Thanks Mary,

If he wants something he knows where to find me
Do you guys do your own inlay work? Very tasteful and well executed

Harv
Hi Harv,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we do some [basic] inlay work as pictured above. However, we certainly don't don't the same level of inlay artistry that you and a handful of other talented artists do. Mary usually designs the inlay work and then I get do the grunt work. If its level of detail is over my head then I am humble enough to admit my shortcomings and sub the work out to other inlay artists of your caliber.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop