The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 AM

they stopped producing the guitars in Hawaii in 1998.... when they moved to the states they retooled their machine shop to only do Flattop acoustic guitars.... If you can find an early Archtop Rainsong.... snag it up... it's a collectors item... besides... people say that they were great instruments...

I now have owned a WS1000 for about 2 days... Don't listen to anyone that hasn't owned one... these instruments are IMMACULATE... they are EXTREMELY high end... it takes about 12 hours of playing for you to really adjust to a Rainsong... The notes are CRYSTAL clear... and it's kind of wierd hearing such rich chords...... the construction is also something that you have to adjust to...... to me, the string spacing was a little wierd to get used to... and the depth of the body is 5"... so that was kind of strange.... but other than that....

These guitars are EXTREMELY well balanced... if you make a mistake.. You hear it... I imagine that's one reason alot of people don't like them.... they don't hide ANY of my sloppiness at all.... which is great.... because it will only force me to get better...

they're not for everyone... BUT... If you want to hear TONS of harmonic overtones... and HUGE sounding chords... try them out...

You honestly have to play them for about a day or so before you start adjusting your playing to them... at least I did....

But all of the people that say "i tried one for a few minutes" or "I looked at them one day in a music store" honestly have not played the instrument long enough to formulate an educated opinion... Carbon Graphite is different than wood... and because it's different... You, as a guitar player, are going to need a little time to adjust to playing on a Graphite guitar..

Honestly, after the first 5 minutes of playing the Rainsong... I didn't like it.... after the first 2 hours... I liked it.... after 2 days of playing it... I honestly can't go back to my wood acoustics....
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Mark,

Can you tell me more about the sound of the Rainsong OM ? I had a WS1000, I played
a Rainsong Jumbo (great) but I never had the opportunity to play the OM (which, by the way, is my favorite guitar's shape). I looked at the reviews at HarmonyCentral and most people feel that there is a lack of basses/low end, so the guitar plays better amplified rather than unplugged. What is your opinon ? And.. where were you able to find all these Rainsong guitars to play ?

Thanks! gerardo1000
Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 PM

The OM to me was almost louder than the WS. I really don't do a very good job of describing sound. I just liked the sound better. I will spend a lot more time playing both before I make my decision. I didn't think it lacked low end. Amplified, they were very comparable.

There is a small dealer in St. Louis that had all of them in stock. It was really fun.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
Please no flames about a $2000 beater. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, if I sell the other 2 guitars.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to friends' houses for parties, etc., I sometimes get, "Oh, did you bring your guitar?" I love to play whenever I can, but don't want to be so pretentious as to bring a guitar and then bring it in the house, "just in case." But I won't leave my Taylor out in the car for 4 hours while I attend a party. A composite guitar could handle that, right?
Not if somebody breaks into your car and steals it. Not everything that can happen to a guitar is caused by humidity and/or temperature. I'd have a hard time justifying using an instrument for which I paid $2,000 as a "beater," regardless of how sturdily it was constructed.

I've never played a Rainsong but I've heard others play them. The tone isn't bad, at least for some kinds of music. If I ever get around to trying one out and like the way it plays, maybe I'll even get one someday (though I've got a lot of items on my wish list before that).

If I do, I won't be leaving it in a car for 4 hours while I'm partying....

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 AM

In my personal experience the great advantage of Rainsong, and generally of all carbon fiber guitars, is that you can leave them all day on their stand, without having to take them out of the hard case. I live in Michigan where Summer can be very humid and Winter very dry.
With my other guitars I always have to check the humidifier in the case, refill it etc...
With a carbon fiber guitar, I don't have to. What happens is that, because of that, I play these guitars more often. It's a psychological effect: they are always there, available, you don't have to take the decision to open the hard case and take them out. Besides, I think that Rainsong,CA and Emerald guitars have a very good sound and tone.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000
In my personal experience the great advantage of Rainsong, and generally of all carbon fiber guitars, is that you can leave them all day on their stand, without having to take them out of the hard case. I live in Michigan where Summer can be very humid and Winter very dry.
With my other guitars I always have to check the humidifier in the case, refill it etc...
With a carbon fiber guitar, I don't have to. What happens is that, because of that, I play these guitars more often. It's a psychological effect: they are always there, available, you don't have to take the decision to open the hard case and take them out. Besides, I think that Rainsong,CA and Emerald guitars have a very good sound and tone.
As a fellow Michiganian these are exactly the reasons I have been tempted to buy one....

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

Last edited by astrummer; 12-22-2005 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTF
Not if somebody breaks into your car and steals it. Not everything that can happen to a guitar is caused by humidity and/or temperature. I'd have a hard time justifying using an instrument for which I paid $2,000 as a "beater," regardless of how sturdily it was constructed.

I've never played a Rainsong but I've heard others play them. The tone isn't bad, at least for some kinds of music. If I ever get around to trying one out and like the way it plays, maybe I'll even get one someday (though I've got a lot of items on my wish list before that).

If I do, I won't be leaving it in a car for 4 hours while I'm partying....
That is what insurance is for.

Last edited by cotten; 12-23-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 PM

I've got a WS1000 and the sound is awesome. The sustain of this guitar is as long and clear at the 12th fret as it is with the open string. the notes ring on and on. And, the guitar stays in tune for weeks and weeks. It's not the guitar for some, and that's fine. As well, a Martin is not the guitar for some. Or a Taylor, etc........Yes, the Rainsong is a rugged guitar, but I would never leave any of my guitars in my car for hours at a time. Some folks may laugh at my next statement (although I think the folks in here will understand), but my guitars are like my kids. I take care of them. I protect them. I was hesitant at first to buy a guitar not made-out of wood. Once I broke-down and bought the Rainsong I knew I'd made a good choice. Regardless of what some tend to think, it sounds just like a guitar, because it is a guitar. If you hear one on the radio you will not mistake it for a uke or a mandolin...... Is it my best guitar? No. My Taylor is as good. So is my HD28, and so is my Garrison G40 (which is definitly in a lower price catagory). All the guitars fill a certain niche in what I like about playing music and writing songs. I guess it all depends on who you talk to. We've all got our favorite guitars, etc. There's not a thing in the world wrong with a Rainsong guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber