The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I agree with this statement 100%. I am unabashedly a Martin fan, and one of the first things I noticed when my D-Vintage arrived was the high end lacked that Martin high end “snap.” The Bourgeois is much more rounded off there. But there’s no denying how well the Bourgeois records. The same thing played on the D-28 Marquis I recently sold would reveal a muddy mess on the low end.

My JOMT Vintage that I just traded however is more articulate across all 3 registers than the D-Vintage, so you can’t draw broad conclusions. Every guitar is a little different.
I don't know if your guitar has torrefied or Banjo Killer bracing like mine does, but mine has a better overall tone across the bass, mids and highs than my D41. Not saying that my D41 doesn't sound fantastic, because it does, but like your Marquis, my 41 is so overly bass-biased, that the lows are the main thing you hear and it doesn't cut through a mix well because of that. That's where my Bourgeois shines! You have this brilliant mixture of sound it produces that stands out as unique and cuts through the wall of music.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I don't know if your guitar has torrefied or Banjo Killer bracing like mine does, but mine has a better overall tone across the bass, mids and highs than my D41. Not saying that my D41 doesn't sound fantastic, because it does, but like your Marquis, my 41 is so overly bass-biased, that the lows are the main thing you hear and it doesn't cut through a mix well because of that. That's where my Bourgeois shines! You have this brilliant mixture of sound it produces that stands out as unique and cuts through the wall of music.
Yes, AT -- so top, bracing, and bridge plate torrefied. Also has the special Satin Finish (like the Collings Julian Lage OM) and the 1 3/4 nut 2 5/16 spacing neck I wanted. But no BK double scalloped bracing. Compromises had to be made to get the guitar I wanted and I traded the BK bracing for the chance at the Satin finish which is supposed to make it more resonant.

This is the exact guitar that Music Emporium sold new back in the Spring. I was going to buy it, I dithered, and it sold right under my nose. But in an amazing stroke of luck, I saw it the day it was posted on TNAG Nashville. The guy who bought it traded it in for an OM. Talked to Kim Sherman, worked out an acceptable price and now it's mine.

I agree with you on the bass bias of Martin Rosewood dreads. My D-28 Marquis was the same way...borderline too much at times.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, AT -- so top, bracing, and bridge plate torrefied. Also has the special Satin Finish (like the Collings Julian Lage OM) and the 1 3/4 nut 2 5/16 spacing neck I wanted. But no BK double scalloped bracing. Compromises had to be made to get the guitar I wanted and I traded the BK bracing for the chance at the Satin finish which is supposed to make it more resonant.

This is the exact guitar that Music Emporium sold new back in the Spring. I was going to buy it, I dithered, and it sold right under my nose. But in an amazing stroke of luck, I saw it the day it was posted on TNAG Nashville. The guy who bought it traded it in for an OM. Talked to Kim Sherman, worked out an acceptable price and now it's mine.

I listened to that video SEVERAL times and it’s one of the best-sounding ones he’s played! Congrats on an OUTSTANDING guitar!!

Old 10-19-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I listened to that video SEVERAL times and it’s one of the best-sounding ones he’s played! Congrats on an OUTSTANDING guitar!!
Thanks very much.

You don’t know how close I was to buying this D-150 (below) the same day I bought the D-Vintage. If it had had the 1 3/4 nut 2 5/16 spacing neck, it would have been a coin toss because I really like the BRW “sizzle:”

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much.

You don’t know how close I was to buying this D-150 (below) the same day I bought the D-Vintage. If it had had the 1 3/4 nut 2 5/16 spacing neck, it would have been a coin toss because I really like the BRW “sizzle:”

Another animal of a guitar!! I just never realized how great these Vintage D models are until I had one! I thought his Slope D Banjo Killers were his best model, but I'd have to give these that nod now. Congrats on a killer guitar and if you'd got this one, you'd been doing mighty fine too!!

Old 10-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Clean, dry, and sparkling--but not too dry. Plenty of mids and lows and a decent amount of overall richness to make the overall sound pleasing.

Not to mention impeccable craftmanship and very nice folks up in Maine.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Clean, dry, and sparkling--but not too dry. Plenty of mids and lows and a decent amount of overall richness to make the overall sound pleasing.

Not to mention impeccable craftmanship and very nice folks up in Maine.
Yes these sound great. I've yet to play one but I'm with you on that description. I don't like a guitar too dry, I like some richness to the sound. That's pretty much why I gave up on the PreWar D and went towards the Outlaw 17 because of the richness the PWD was missing due to it being so vintage-voiced and dry. I'm thinking I need a Bourgeois rosewood dread next year
Old 10-19-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

It'll be interesting to see/hear what the Bourgeois influence has on Eastman whenever they actually start building.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
It'll be interesting to see/hear what the Bourgeois influence has on Eastman whenever they actually start building.
If they could darken up the Eastman sound some, I would love it. When I look at Eastman bracing they're deeply scalloped with the scallop starting almost right at the X Brace very similar to Martin Authentics but they always seem to lack low end.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
If they could darken up the Eastman sound some, I would love it. When I look at Eastman bracing they're deeply scalloped with the scallop starting almost right at the X Brace very similar to Martin Authentics but they always seem to lack low end.
I have an E20D-TC and it's the best sounding Eastman I've played (haven't tried the Double Top or any of the 40's) but it's not "boomy" in the bass like some Martin's. Still it has a pleasing bottom end. Just more balanced I suppose.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I plan on getting a 000 or OM in the next year of so and this merger with Bourgeois and being impressed with the models I've played, pretty much guarantees that it'll be an Eastman that I purchase. I can't wait to see the models they produce!

Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I plan on getting a 000 or OM in the next year of so and this merger with Bourgeois and being impressed with the models I've played, pretty much guarantees that it'll be an Eastman that I purchase. I can't wait to see the models they produce!
Well...what Eastman calls an OM is really a 000 based on scale length. (24.9") But the E10OM-TC I have is a very nice OM for a very good price. And I feel like the new Bourgeois/Eastman version will be even better. Like you I'm very interested in what comes form this arrangement.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Bougeois builds great instruments but I don't care for the voicing they use on their Martin style dreadnoughts. I prefer their sloped D models. The Martin style ones seem to a bit bright and mid rangey for my taste. I've only played 5 or 6 of them. I prefer Santa Cruz and Huss and Dalton.

Last year I played a Bourgeois version of a pre war Gibson Advanced Jumbo in Red Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood and Dana nailed the prewar AJ tone that I've heard in a few videos from Carter Vintage and other shops that have recorded those well. It had the same exact voice and EQ I was impressed!!

Last edited by SuperB23; 10-19-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM

Just traded for a Country boy deluxe yesterday. Couldn’t be happier!

I’ve owned Martin authentic, Collings, Santa Cruz etc. This one is amazing. Don’t hesitate to scoop it up
Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Smile

Bought a Bourgeois D this year. R and D, about 6 years old, AT adi top, Mad b and s. Age tone thin finish. Off eBay!! I know that can be risky, but it was a great seller in NC...my neighboring State. The sound of this guitar is INCREDIBLE! the main thing.....It's a BEAUTIFUL instrument visually too. I am grateful to own it...it ties in first place among my guitars...and I own some great ones...again I am very thankful, but own too many and will sell some. May each of you be blessed. Matthias

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion