The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Martin MA150 Authentic Acoustic - SP - 80/20 Bronze Medium Strings

Anyone have an opinion on these strings? I found them quite bright yet have nice tone. It makes the guitar much louder but not sure what the tone is like compared to the phosphor. I mainly do chords rather than picking at the moment.

Just experimenting on different strings at the moment. Last week at a live worship session, my strings sounded quite low (I had the Elixir lights 80/20) but that maybe due to strings getting dull. Yesterday, the sound was nice a bright but maybe a bit too bright!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM

The light version of those is my current string of choice for my rosewood dreadnaughts. Big bright sound and I'm getting pretty good life out of them too. They take a day or so to settle down, as seems to be the case with most 80/20 bronze.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 AM

When I used uncoated strings on my Taylor sinker redwood/coco I only used these or the light variant of them really sharpened the sound without make the trebles thin out. They don't last long but they're no worse for wear than ej16's really. I think the phosphor bronze sp's are really nice for spruce/hog too.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:42 PM

Personally the new Martin strings I find extremely rough on my hands, and very stiff feeling.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:12 AM

That's good to hear that the brightness will calm down a bit. I don't really notice a difference with the new strings to be honest as the calluses on my fingers are pretty rough anyway.

Will see how these sound once the 'newness' have calmed down. Overall I quite like these strings, especially in a band environment.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

I like 80/20s. They settle in pretty quick and have more bass and top than PBs and far fewer overtones. They work great for flatpicking rhythm playing - where I find PBs a bit 'messy' for my style. In general 80/20s give a very traditional guitar sound - which is unsurprising given how long 80/20 strings have been in production! PBs are very much a latecomer to the game. I've used the Martin MA150 mediums and the MA 240 Bluegrass Light top Medium bottom.

If you like the Martin 80/20s then also try the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20s, they are a touch mellower than the Martins.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:32 AM

Those are the strings that sound the best on my D-18.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:34 PM

I use the MA180, which is the 12-string extra-light version of these strings on my rosewood dread. Admittedly, I have yet to experiment with other strings because they last a long time and I'm happy with them. On my guitar, they stay in tune phenomenally well.

I like what Jorma Kaukonen says about Martin strings: "These strings are so good I'd use them even if I had to pay for them."

Ordinary mortals like me pay for them.

Last edited by Twin Six; 10-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I used the original SP PB mediums for years that had the gold flashing on the treble strings. That original formula had nice low end definition and fat trebles... When they changed the formula to the Authentic SP, the low end became dull with very little presence and the treble strings too thin sounding. The Authentic Lifespans were even worse, muddy bottom, thin top end but they do last. I've since switched to 80/20 mediums and found nice definition with the cheap old Darco, Earthwoods and the the higher priced Paradigms sound very nice too.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
If you like the Martin 80/20s then also try the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20s, they are a touch mellower than the Martins.
Could you elaborate what you mean by mellow. I'm thinking of trying these next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion