The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Grand Theater - My Review

First off, I am a Taylor fan. (And I own a Martin)
I received the GT yesterday and returned it today. First a little back story, I've been wanting a Grand Concert but the 300 series is out of my financial reach. The Academy Series A12 is good, but would be nice to have all solid wood. So when I heard/read about the GT, I was really excited to be able to get a solid wood guitar for $1399, the top of my budget.

My review:
The good: It is the easiest playing guitar I have ever encountered, the neck feels amazing, the body feels great, super comfortable. very light weight. Tonally, it has decent bass and nice trebles, the mids felt a little non-existent. But tonally overall, it's good, just good.
The setup wasn't bad, I had to let the rod out a little because of fretting out on high E string. But that's no big deal. I bought the acoustic only version for 2 reasons, budget and I wanted to install my Baggs M1A, but unfortunately didn't fit the soundhole. BTW, the Aero case is amazing.

The not so good: For me, i didn't feel like I was getting $1399 worth of a guitar. If it was $999. I probably have kept it. I am really disappointed, not so much in the guitar, it's a good one, but that I didn't love it, and I really wanted to...

Please don't take any of my comments as negative. The GT is a nice guitar. Hope this helps someone make their own decision.

Last edited by jricc; 11-17-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:16 PM

Thanks for your review. Is the soundhole smaller than a standard Taylor?
Old 10-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for your review. Is the soundhole smaller than a standard Taylor?
Dru, I measured 3 & 11/16th".
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

How long was your return period? One day seems like a quick analysis to me. Maybe different strings might have persuaded you differently?

Since I am not looking for another guitar, I have no horse in this race. I do like the concept though (marketing aside). Too bad you didn't connect with hit. At least you got your money back.

Thanks for the review.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
How long was your return period? One day seems like a quick analysis to me. Maybe different strings might have persuaded you differently?

Since I am not looking for another guitar, I have no horse in this race. I do like the concept though (marketing aside). Too bad you didn't connect with hit. At least you got your money back.

Thanks for the review.
Agree, one day is not a alot, but I did play the guitar about 4-5 hrs, and loved playing it, but it's tone in the mid range was a little lacking for me and in my mind, if it wasnt grabbing me, I didnt want to make a $1399 "mistake". I also didnt want to mar/scratch it in any way.

Last edited by jricc; 10-05-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:30 AM

Perhaps the behavior (1 day return) speaks louder than words?

I do really want to try that model. I like the idea of a slightly bigger GS mini.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the honest review. I've been interested in this model based on specs, as it is very similar to a carbon fiber guitar I once had. That guitar was just about perfect for me with the exception of a neck I couldn't bond with, but it's one of those guitars that I suppose I sort of miss for all other reasons.

The scale on the GT is a little disappointing too, as 24.8" seems to be more of a sweet spot for me. Hopefully I'll get to try one but the cost-to-value is another point of reservation, regardless whether U.S made or not.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Perhaps the behavior (1 day return) speaks louder than words?

I do really want to try that model. I like the idea of a slightly bigger GS mini.
It's a nice guitar, really. The neck does feel more comfortable then the mini, less cramped and the string tension feels amazing. I just liked... and didnt love the tone.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:37 AM

Smile

Thanks for the useful review. I found your input interesting as you said the midrange was missing. I too found something missing in the tone of the GT in the YouTube videos that I've watched but can't quite put my finger on it. It may be the midrange tone. But it's strange since Taylor said that Urban Ash is very similar to Mahogany. In that case, the mids should be present.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the GT should sell reasonably well but nowhere near the sales of the GS Mini. I'm eager to play one to hear how it sounds in person. Taylor may add in other b/s woods (in the near future) if the sales of the GT is good enough. A Koa b/s would be interesting or a full Koa would be even better!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion