The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-02-2020, 07:10 AM

Default advice on computer sound card

hi all, I'd like to get advice on good gear to record acoustic guitar: I currently use a couple of Behringer C-2 mics and a Art USB Dual Pre sound card, but I'm not satistifed with the result, the sound of my guitar is 'thin' and adding gain on the DAW results in too much noise.

I'm thinking of buying a Rhode NT2-A large diaphragm condenser, what would be a good sound card with a good preamp with low noise?

What do you think of the Art USB Dual Pre sound card?

Thanks a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeK...KZLNz1PHgnm84A
Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

The Motu M2 has been getting some rave reviews in the entry, 2-mic-pre interface realm.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...Guitar%20Forum

But, your budget for these things is important.

I have not used the NT-2A but if you look at the thread here about mics, you'll see that a lot of the coverage is on matched pairs of small condensers, especially if you are recording solo acoustic guitar.

I use a large condenser on the acoustic guitar if I'm tracking it along with vocal at the same time, depending on the vocal mic and placement requirements. (I also like it for folks that can't hold still, but, mostly I use a small condenser, as well.) Of course, having a decent LDC is never a bad thing, but you can usually get a better value by focusing on just a single pattern mic, as (IMO/IME), it's rare that you'll find a use for those other patterns in a typical, small home studio (i.e., converted/co-opted spare bedroom).

Last edited by keith.rogers; 10-02-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add AGF tags to link
Old 10-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The Motu M2 has been getting some rave

I use a large condenser on the acoustic guitar if I'm tracking it along with vocal at the same time, depending on the vocal mic and placement requirements. (I also like it for folks that can't hold still, but, mostly I use a small condenser, as well.) Of course, having a decent LDC is never a bad thing, but you can usually get a better value by focusing on just a single pattern mic, as (IMO/IME), it's rare that you'll find a use for those other patterns in a typical, small home studio (i.e., converted/co-opted spare bedroom).
thanks for your reply, I'm sorry but what is LDC? And IMO/IME patterns for the mic?

Old 10-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giampow View Post
thanks for your reply, I'm sorry but what is LDC? And IMO/IME patterns for the mic?
Sorry.
LDC = Large Diaphragm Condenser
IMO/IME = In My Opinion / In My Experience
Old 10-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
LDC - large diaphragm condenser
IMO/IME ...I think he's saying "in my opinion/estimation"
Also, the units being discussed are interfaces, not sound cards.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2020, 07:57 AM

Default thanks

thanks for your explanations. Do you think it would be better to have a separate good quality preamp, and then plug it to the pc audio interface? I have little experience of recording, and don't really know what is best, I'd just like to understand how to get a good signal with low noise

for example, this is one of my recordings made with my pair of Behringer C-2 and ART Dual preamp

https://soundcloud.com/giampaolocapelli/chansonbaladee

which I think feels 'thin': manipulating in the DAW doesn't look like a good solution (or probably I miss the knowledge to do it)

Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks for your explanations. Do you think it would be better to have a separate good quality preamp, and then plug it to the pc audio interface? I have little experience of recording, and don't really know what is best, I'd just like to understand how to get a good signal with low noise

for example, this is one of my recordings made with my pair of Behringer C-2 and ART Dual preamp

https://soundcloud.com/giampaolocapelli/chansonbaladee

which I think feels 'thin': manipulating in the DAW doesn't look like a good solution (or probably I miss the knowledge to do it)
Only in vary general terms while you usually "get what you pay for" and at the very high end a separate pre amp plugged into an audio interface will yield some sonic advantages . In todays even the more moderately priced ( one step up from the rock bottom price tier) combo pres and interface can get pretty good signal with low noise results . the MOTU unit mentioned or the FocusRite Scarlet series .

Unfortunately "thin" or "flat" sound can come from several sources and or combinations of sources
Less signal to noise ratio on the mic, the pre, how good the A/D and D/A converters are,,,, and or ,, noise in the recording ROOM !!! and combining two or more signals or tracks with higher noise ratios on them .. Muddy build up in the lows and or mid range frequencies . AND how and what you are listening to for playback ....

At this point if I were you I first consider up grading your interface which will likely give you better pres, converters, and playback ) monitoring with less self noise ,,,,,before buying new mics.

Also you have not mentioned how are you listening to your recordings played back ? (what is your monitoring system )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

At this point if I were you I first consider up grading your interface which will likely give you better pres, converters, and playback ) monitoring with less self noise ,,,,,before buying new mics.

Also you have not mentioned how are you listening to your recordings played back ? (what is your monitoring system )
thanks for your precious advice, I use headphones (AKG)
will have a look at other interfaces

Last edited by giampow; 10-02-2020 at 09:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD