The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-13-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Practical Book on Music theory

Does anyone have recommendations on a good, useful book on music theory for guitar? I don’t mean Theory in general music, but more related to guitar.

Thanks.
Terryd913
Old 09-13-2020, 03:05 PM

I don't know about books, but my instructor has all of his workbooks and lesson programs posted online. Maybe you can read through his stuff and find something useful that can help?

https://stockdaleguitar.com/method-for-guitar-books/
Old 09-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I have been using "Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist," (Capuzzo) the book recommended by my teacher. It is very basic with a good sequence of topics. I would buy it again. Good luck. I have just dipped my toe in the theory pool but can already see how important it can be, especially with song writing.
David
Old 09-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Guitar Theory for Dummies. Also check out Guitar Exercises for Dummies. Both are actually really good, easy to follow books.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:30 PM

Go to jazzguitar.be then click on Jazz Guitar Lessons - scroll down through all of them; Really a great deal of basic harmony/theory and other subjects you'll find interesting. A lot of fine resources all in one place and free as a hippie.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitar-lessons/
Old 09-13-2020, 03:39 PM

This is what I have. Very good coverage of the basics.

https://www.amazon.com/Guitarists-Mu...s%2C214&sr=8-4
Old 09-14-2020, 02:07 AM

Hi,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I taught guitar for 15 years and the best readily available book I found to help teach the guitar fretboard and music theory is Barrett Tagliarino's "Guitar Fretboard Workbook". His approach is write, visualize, play. It's very helpful and doesn't lock you into a style.

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretbo...ce-g6796040015
Old 09-14-2020, 08:18 AM

Bruce Emery's series "The skeptical guitar player"
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-14-2020, 11:31 AM

I like these - at least if you want something short and sweet, not too deep:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-G...779/ref=sr_1_1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonard-Gui...51X/ref=sr_1_6

If you're in the market for something more grown-up, this one is amazingly good:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Theory...105/ref=sr_1_1
- even if you're not into "jazz", it covers the basics of harmony, keys, chord sequences etc as they apply in most kinds of popular music of the last 100 years.
It might look expensive, but there are years of work in there - decades if you take it nice and slow....

Last edited by JonPR; 09-14-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Literally the book your thread Title requested:

https://www.amazon.com/Edlys-Music-T.../dp/0966161602

Edly's Music Theory for Practical People
Old 09-16-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
Does anyone have recommendations on a good, useful book on music theory for guitar? I don’t mean Theory in general music, but more related to guitar.

Thanks.
Terryd913
Hi terryd

I have a teaching degree in music with a minor in music theory. From my perspective as a multi-instrumentalist (keyboards, brass, guitars) the Theory In General is what undergirds Theory As It Relates To Unique Instruments.

Theory is built around structure and starts with basic notes and scales.

Once you know the names of the notes on the frets, and how to play scales using them, you move forward more quickly. The challenge is scales playing the same exact notes can move around the neck, whereas on a keyboard the scale will always play the exact same keys over and over.

Not sure how basic a book one needs for that.

I still think the best undergirding for understanding theory is to take a semester of basic piano theory. It can be applied to the guitar as it's learned.

The unique aspects of guitar/other stringed instrument theory is there are few instruments where you can play a single/unique note in many locations. For example the pitch/note associated with the high 'e' string on a guitar can be played in at least six places on the neck.

For most other instruments, a note on the staff indicates precisely where it is played on the instrument.

Fun topic…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Once you know the names of the notes on the frets, and how to play scales using them, you move forward more quickly. The challenge is scales playing the same exact notes can move around the neck, whereas on a keyboard the scale will always play the exact same keys over and over. [/I].

The other thing I'd suggest is to learn to play scales by being able to visualize on the fretboard the notes and intervals that comprise a given scale (or mode), versus just memorizing scale patterns. That may sound like the same thing when you read it, but it's not. I learned patterns long ago when I was young and starting out, and it has been hard work to "undo" that learning (still undoing it, in fact). When you learn patterns, you're really just learning muscle memory. When you learn how scales are constructed and you can translate that to the fretboard no matter where you are or what note you're starting on, then you're really getting inside the music and understanding where things are on the instrument.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
…I learned patterns long ago when I was young and starting out, and it has been hard work to "undo" that learning (still undoing it, in fact).
Hi gee whiz

I agree not the same thing. But why try to unprogram something. It means you continue to wrestle with it.

The brain and body are smart enough to carry multiple systems of thought at one time. I had some very unusual ways of thinking about chords, and songs and when I learned better ways, I didn't try to unprogram the old ones and overwrite them.

I just moved on with the new systems, and the old ones fell away from disuse. Nobody taught me that, it was just my way of living one-day-at-a-time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi gee whiz

I agree not the same thing. But why try to unprogram something. It means you continue to wrestle with it.

The brain and body are smart enough to carry multiple systems of thought at one time. I had some very unusual ways of thinking about chords, and songs and when I learned better ways, I didn't try to unprogram the old ones and overwrite them.

I just moved on with the new systems, and the old ones fell away from disuse. Nobody taught me that, it was just my way of living one-day-at-a-time.

Good point, and I guess in my own case I didn't completely unlearn what I had learned previously - I just sort of superimposed new ways of thinking on top of what I already knew. But I always wondered how I might approach the instrument differently if I hadn't had those patterns so deeply imprinted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write