The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-29-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Sorry for boring you all with my newbie questions

Hey, questions lead to answers. These questions are not new here. I ask almost the identical question a few years ago. My thoughts at the time were nearly identical to yours now. In the end I listened to the advice which cost me a few more bucks. Without a doubt I'd buy the Laguna again.

So you're on your way. No worries, you'll find something.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

That’s true - I have no idea what resources are available in Oman, but they have a coast, so I’d assume they have boats, and if there’s one tool you’re most likely to find in any boatyard - it’s a bandsaw -
Old 08-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Yeah resources are pretty limited unfortunately. Amongst the few hardware stores that are available I haven't been able to find a bandsaw anywhere (sometimes I get a weird look like why would I want a bandsaw lol).

Not that much of a woodworking culture here, even less so hobbyist, and luthiers are non existent.

For all I know I may very well be the only person thats built a guitar here (albeit not the greatest looking but she sounds sweet and is my baby!).

Oman is situated just a few hours away from Dubai (UAE) and I am pretty sure that might be my best bet for finding a decent bandsaw. On another note, Dubai, even though so close to Oman is about as different a place from here as you could possibly imagine ... it's all hustle and bustle there and if I am not mistaken something like 90% of their residents are not actually local (Emirati's as they are known). I have never been a fan of the place, it lacks identity and soul and is waaaaay too fast paced for me I love it here, quiet little country of around only 5 million ... beautiful pristine beaches and just an overall sense of calm.

Disclaimer: I am in no away affiliated with the tourism board of Oman, just thought I'd share a bit more about where I am from.

Nahil.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looking for a bandsaw in a hardware store is a bit like looking for a new car in an auto parts store. Where I live a bandsaw comes from specialty tool supply companies that are more often located in industrial neighborhoods. And they are not usually in plain sight. Buying used is what I would want to do, and since the bandsaw is actually a standard basic power tool world wide I believe that with some research they can be found anywhere. Probably harder in Oman than in California, we’ve got Craig’s List. I’d visit some local tradesmen and find out where they get their tools.

On another tack: When I started building guitars, I had no idea that anyone else was doing it. After a couple of years I started meeting people Who were also doing it, some of them for years. And it turned out they tended to know each other. Some built instruments other than guitars, violin family and early music stuff, mostly. Since the guitar is not the classic instrument in your neighborhood, you might find an active group based on whatever is the the stringed instrument of choice in Oman. They are likely to have aligned interests. Years ago I assisted a fellow from Iran who was struggling to build something he called a “Tar”. He was carving it from a large chunk of Cocobolo. What a chore!
Old 08-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Thanks Bruce. You make a very good point, I would say the most traditional instrument built here (or in the region at least) would be the 'Oud' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oud) ... not sure how links work here but a quick search should get you there.

Now my interest is piqued and I am going to try finding a oud luthier ... Now i'm off to search the interwebs to find out more about the oud (I wonder how they brace it?) and also hopefully track down some builders!

Edit: Looks like ladder bracing is still the technique used.

Cheers,

Nahil.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:40 PM

The Oud and Lute are related instruments. I used to make lutes but there isn't much call for them.

Bruce's points about industrial suppliers and finding local non-guitar instrument makers are both good suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair