The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post

Fog
" Detroit Lions are trying to figure out how to handle their high draft pick and the subsequent trading down to pick up another TE or other useless choice in order to maintain their mediocrity!"

Lions retain perpetual bottom feeder mode for one reason...big tax loss for the mighty Ford Motor company. How is it that "Gillette" prospers while the Lions continually falter...
Old 12-27-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’d be really worried if it was in Miami. Their record is not that great there. Must be the hot sun [emoji23]
Yea, the Patriots have had their issues in Miami over the years including the Miami Miracle last Dec (where Miami scored the game ending TD with those lateral passes). After that game the Patriots were done and their season over ... until the playoffs came along .
Old 12-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

My big prediction is the Ravens over the 49ers/Seahawks in the big show, unless Green Bay gets lucky and shows up. The Ravens will still take it all (I'm a Packer fan btw, but also a realist )

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Geez Dr Spivey, I guess I was wrong about GB Packers and also, there is NO Santa Claus! Come to think of it, he's (Santa) is all about the money too!
Fog
To make it more clear, the team is publicly owned, not city owned. No one person or entity can own more than 4% of the team. The shares were sold to anyone who would pay for them. The last time shares were sold was 2011, at $250 each. The shares have no monetary value. They can't be sold, transferred or traded. They don't change in value or pay any dividends. If the team is ever sold, any proceeds go to The Green Bay Packers Foundation, a charity created by the team.

Other than a deluxe certificate suitable for framing, the only thing shareholders get is the opportunity to vote at the annual shareholders meeting. The only thing of significance voted on are the members of the 45 person board of directors. Those 45 elect the 7 person executive committee who ultimately run the organization.

There is no requirement that shareholders, board or executive committee members be residents of Green Bay and many are not.

The city and county have in fact taxed the citizens to help fund the team. They have provided other incentives as well. These taxes and incentives are much smaller than in other markets. If the financial equation didn't work, the city and county would cease to provide and the road to selling or moving the team would begin.

I'm not saying it's good, bad or any kind of conspiracy. It's just the reality of how the business of football is conducted in the league's smallest market. The NFL has rules in place to insure nothing like this ever happens again.

People love to have the view that the Packers are something down home and folksey, but in reality, it runs just like every other team. With a few odd little twists.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-28-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My big prediction is the Ravens over the 49ers/Seahawks in the big show, unless Green Bay gets lucky and shows up. The Ravens will still take it all (I'm a Packer fan btw, but also a realist )
9rs vs Ravens is a pretty straight forward prediction. But to me, as great as Jackson is, he has yet to experience what the post season is. He might show up, but I think it’s more likely he’s going to choke. I think the real danger this post season is Mahomes. after a great last season, he made it to the playoffs and lost to Brady in overtime. He now has the experience, and the drive. And of course, you can never write off the Patriots in the post season.

On the NFC side, things are way more unpredictable. Yeah, the 9rs had a great season, but the Seahawks are looking great, and you can never write off Rodgers in the post season, and there’s also the Saints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yea, the Patriots have had their issues in Miami over the years including the Miami Miracle last Dec (where Miami scored the game ending TD with those lateral passes). After that game the Patriots were done and their season over ... until the playoffs came along .

That play developed like a slo-mo car accident. Easily one of the greatest football plays in history.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
9rs vs Ravens is a pretty straight forward prediction. But to me, as great as Jackson is, he has yet to experience what the post season is. He might show up, but I think it’s more likely he’s going to choke. I think the real danger this post season is Mahomes. after a great last season, he made it to the playoffs and lost to Brady in overtime. He now has the experience, and the drive. And of course, you can never write off the Patriots in the post season.

On the NFC side, things are way more unpredictable. Yeah, the 9rs had a great season, but the Seahawks are looking great, and you can never write off Rodgers in the post season, and there’s also the Saints.

That play developed like a slo-mo car accident. Easily one of the greatest football plays in history.
The Saints are in the playoffs but the only chance for home field advantage (as long as they beat the Panthers today) is if the Seahawks beat the 49ers tonight (a realistic probability) and Detroit beats the Packers (an unrealistic probability).

Go Saints (and Seahawks and Tigers)!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM

Hoping Seattle can be a factor, but so many key injuries.
Still, with Russell Wilson, you never know ——
Old 12-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Aw darn. The Ravens game got flexed to 4:25. I'm going to miss the first half. I expect the Steelers to be out of it by the middle of the first quarter.

What time is the Texans/Titans game?
Old 12-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Default NFL Week 17 ... and then off to the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
If the Pats can't beat the Fins in December...at Foxborough... with the #2 seed and a bye on the line, they don't deserve a bye this year.

Quoting you again because it seems like the Pats are going to lose to the ‘fins, in December At Foxborough with first week bye on the line. If this happens they deserve to lose the wildcard round.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I was kind of embarrassed when the Eagles lost to Miami and that was on the road. Losing to Miami in Foxborough in late December? Not possible...

I'm glad to see it. If the Pats manage to get it done this year, they're really gonna have to work for it. Likely no more than one home game. And Brady is missing throws he didn't used to. Maybe father time is finally catching up with him. The AFC will not have to go through Foxborough this year...

As a Pats disliker (I'm not a "hater"), I'm tired of them and ready for this bleeping dynasty to end. Now they're a long shot rather than strong favorite. I'll enjoy watching them go down and if they somehow pull another miracle out of their hat, it'll be richly deserved...
Old 12-29-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Wow, I was kind of embarrassed when the Eagles lost to Miami and that was on the road. Losing to Miami in Foxborough in late December? Not possible...

I'm glad to see it. If the Pats manage to get it done this year, they're really gonna have to work for it. Likely no more than one home game. And Brady is missing throws he didn't used to. Maybe father time is finally catching up with him. The AFC will not have to go through Foxborough this year...

As a Pats disliker (I'm not a "hater"), I'm tired of them and ready for this bleeping dynasty to end. Now they're a long shot rather than strong favorite. I'll enjoy watching them go down and if they somehow pull another miracle out of their hat, it'll be richly deserved...
As a diehard Pats fan and just didn't get on the bandwagon as I've followed since the Eason and Grogan when they first got trounced in the Superbowl by the Bears, this season is what it is.

Keep in mind that only one team in the history of the league has been to four straight Superbowls, and they never won one. For the Pats to make it to four in a row, this year, after winning multiple, and after a nearly two decade long run, would be one of the most insane things ever done in the history of all sports.

And the Pats have NOT been the favorite to get to the Superbowl many, many times. The Pats have been in wildcard weekends too.

In its entirety, I'm not really disappointed if they don't get to the Superbowl this year. I am a little disappointed that we didn't get any offensive weapons for Brady and kind of screwed him over a bit.

You can't win it every year.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Default OUCH!

Quote:
If the Pats can't beat the Fins in December...at Foxborough... with the #2 seed and a bye on the line, they don't deserve a bye this year.
And so it came to pass....but Brady is now #2 on the TD list
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As a diehard Pats fan and just didn't get on the bandwagon as I've followed since the Eason and Grogan when they first got trounced in the Superbowl by the Bears, this season is what it is.

Keep in mind that only one team in the history of the league has been to four straight Superbowls, and they never won one. For the Pats to make it to four in a row, this year, after winning multiple, and after a nearly two decade long run, would be one of the most insane things ever done in the history of all sports.

And the Pats have NOT been the favorite to get to the Superbowl many, many times. The Pats have been in wildcard weekends too.

In its entirety, I'm not really disappointed if they don't get to the Superbowl this year. I am a little disappointed that we didn't get any offensive weapons for Brady and kind of screwed him over a bit.

You can't win it every year.
No question, what they've done thus far is unprecedented. I'm convinced Belichek is the greatest coach in NFL history and Brady is obviously an elite QB. I have nothing but respect for what they've done. But I don't think anyone who' NOT a hard core fan of the team really wants it to go on any longer - I wish it hadn't gone on this long, but they got it done. I'm just sick of them ALWAYS being there and a year where they just win the AFC East but don't get a bye and don't go to the Supe being an aberration. I thought it might end when Atlanta beat them in the Supe 3 years ago, but they didn't and it wasn't. And I thought the Eagles beating them might have been the dagger, but obviously they came back yet again.

It's kind of like being a Cubs fan in reverse - wait 'til NEXT year...

-Ray
Old 12-29-2019, 08:51 PM

The Patriots are done. Brady's hair is falling out. Moths are eating Belichick's hoodie.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

We can only hope. They’re certainly a team that has had great chemistry amongst players, coaching staff, etc. for many years. And, I agree that Belicheck is a great coach (although he possesses just a shade more personality than a corpse), and Brady is an elite QB for sure. But I’m with you. Enough already.

While I wouldn’t consider myself a “hater”, I’ve never been a fan. It seems that the writing is on the wall for this dynasty. Maybe they’ll pull out another season, but another 2-3...no chance.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic