The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM

Not solo, but...

http://youtu.be/CEGm8LH4x84

If you go to you tube and punch in Dolphin Guitars Halcyon, there a few clips as well...
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Once again through his clients tastes, Ed abides and astounds !!!.
Congrats to gasworker !!! How many Halcyons does this make for you ?
Peace and Happy Holidays !
John
Your absolutely right John! This is my second of (I think 3 ) Halcyons both Walnut Sitka. Ed and Ryan are doing an outstanding job. It's hard not to share these photos and I hope Ed doesn't mind. This guitar is spectacular and I couldn't resist.
Happy holidays to you as well!
Gary
Old 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM

I don't mind at all. I'm just sad that I have no more of that. I have had it around for many years before you called it yours, and since then, the source has dried up. Haven't looked for more very hard mind you...
Old 12-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Not solo, but...

http://youtu.be/CEGm8LH4x84

If you go to you tube and punch in Dolphin Guitars Halcyon, there a few clips as well...
I found a couple. I'll going to show them to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed ). Thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What do they (Halcyons) sound like? Solo studio videos of them don't seem to exist. They look great and the idea of a deep body 00 like the NL-00 is interesting, but its a dice game - no clue as to tone.
Not sure that any internet sound track can impart the awesome tone (varying based on wood choices) and volumeous punch (irrespective of wood choices) of these beauties and certainly not the ease of playability, but IMO they rival guitars in the $3000-$5000 build class that I either own or have personally heard. I keep telling Ed to change the product name to "The Spoiler" as my Halcyon 12 Fret 000 in Primavera/Lutz has spoiled my desire to play my Martin D-41, Martin DCPA1, McIlroy A30c, Charis 13 Fret SJ, Taylor 610 ltd, and all others in my sigi with the exception of my EJ Henderson. Don't get me wrong, all the afore mentioned sound excellent and are world class guitars, but Halcyon puts it all together in a total package you customize to your tastes through Ed for a fraction of the price, so there is a certain satisfaction that you get from all of that when owning and playing one. While tone preference is a subjective experience, Ed has satisfied customers looking for Matinesqe, Tayloresqe, and Gibsonesqe (not to mention Halcyonesqe) tone palates, all the while minimizing his ability to do so. Given the subjective nature of tone, I guess there is always a gamble buying a specific guitar unheard and unplayed, but you're not likely to get better odds or closer to a "sure thing" any where else in my and, I think, many other's opinion(s). End of Rave from a neophyte player who is none the less a perfectionist and hard to please (at least according to my ex-wife).

Peace

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 12-12-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:09 PM

That's going to be one beautiful guitar. Love the look of the side wood. Is it two separate pieces?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Not sure that any internet sound track can impart the awesome varying tone (based on wood choices) and volumeous punch (irrespective of wood choices) of these beauties and certainly not the ease of playability, but IMO they rival guitars in the $3000-$5000 build class that I either own or have personally heard. I keep telling Ed to change the product name to "The Spoiler" as my Halcyon 12 Fret 000 in Primavera/Lutz has spoiled my desire to play my Martin D-41, Martin DCPA1, McIlroy A30c, Charis 13 Fret SJ, Taylor 610 ltd, and all others in my sigi with the exception of my EJ Henderson. Don't get me wrong, all the afore mentioned sound excellent and are world class guitars, but Halcyon puts it all together in a total package you customize to your tastes through Ed for a fraction of the price, so there is a certain satisfaction that you get from all of that when owning and playing one. While tone preference is a subjective experience, Ed has satisfied customers looking for Matinesqe, Tayloresqe, and Gibsonesqe (not to mention Halcyonesqe) tone palates, all the while minimizing his ability to do so. Given the subjective nature of tone, I guess there is always a gamble buying a specific guitar unheard and unplayed, but you're not likely to get better odds or closer to a "sure thing" any where else in my and, I think, many other's opinion(s). End of Rave from a neophyte player who is none the less a perfectionist and hard to please (at least according to my ex-wife).

Peace

John
Hey John,

What I get from the videos is good, and I can imagine the change in tone if rosewood is the back and sides (videos I watched were hog b/s). I watched a few and I was impressed.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-12-2015, 01:41 PM

I enjoy your raves John and there is no way I could compete. I am a super fan as well but my reasons for buying my first Halcyon are different. It has nothing to do with tone. I was a big Larrivee fan. When they closed the Vancouver shop and sent the Canadian employees to the street I was a little annoyed with Jean and the family and sold my Larrivee's off. I then read the Fretboard Journal and found the podcast, the rest is history.
I am leaving the raves to you and I hope to read them for years to come.

Last edited by Gasworker; 12-12-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I enjoy your raves John and there is no way I could compete. I am a super fan as well but my reasons for buying my first Halcyon are different. It has nothing to do with tone. I was a big Larrivee fan. When they closed the Vancouver shop and sent the Canadian employees to the street I was a little annoyed with Jean and the family and sold my Larrivee's off. I then read the Fretboard Journal and found the podcast, the rest is history.
I am leaving the raves to you and I hope to read them for years to come.
As one of the most inexperienced players/poorest players owning a Halcyon, I sometime wonder if I hurt more than Help. It's not like Clapton or T-Rice raving but more like Fred Flinstone so some times I wonder.

Yaba daba dooooooo!!!

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 12-15-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Once again through his clients tastes, Ed abides and astounds !!!....I continue to be blown away by the obscure woods Ed seems to source to turn what could be ordinary looking guitars (IRW, Sitka) into extraordinary looking and sounding guitars at a fraction of other folks prices. I'm not sure why other builders don't do it, but am glad Ed has created this niche for himself and his clients as I count myself among them !...
You might want to check out Brook guitars in the UK. Different price range to Halcyon, but they too are using a very wide range of woods, in particular locally sourced forest and older orchard trees as well as wood salvaged from old furniture and building sites - cherry, pear, yew, oak etc. It's obviously a very worthwhile approach as Brooks are becoming very highly regarded in the UK...

Sam

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop