The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Default Recording on my Mac -- Firebox?

Just wanting to do some informal recording on my Mac. I have mics, but no interface at present. I used to have a Presonus Firebox, but got rid of it sometime back.

Without getting too elaborate, I'm looking for recommendations to get back into a little recording.

Thanks!

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMac View Post
Just wanting to do some informal recording on my Mac. I have mics, but no interface at present. I used to have a Presonus Firebox, but got rid of it sometime back.

Without getting too elaborate, I'm looking for recommendations to get back into a little recording.
Hi Scotty…
If you want to multi-track then the Lexicon Omega rig. If you just need a solid interface with adequte bells-n-whistles, the little brother is the Lexicon Lambda.

I like both and have heard great recordings made with both.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM

check out the apogee duet. quite a few people on this forum like them. they are made for the mac and have special software to use with either garageband or logic. i use the apogee ensemble that is more detailed and really like it.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Yes the apogee duet is specifically made for Macs. I've only had mine for a couple of days so I am not sure I can give a thorough review yet. So far it works well, appears very solid and not so easy but not too difficult user interface. Comes with good manual but YouTube and their site pretty much walks you through it via video.

So far what I'm hearing is quite impressive. I do think software will make a big difference. I'm using GarageBand and have yet to fully uncover it's potential.

Downside to apogee duet is the price but maybe eBay has some used ones although not sure if I'd want to go that route. GC has a no return policy on the duet due to the software.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 PM

The Apogee Duet as those above have suggested. The quality it second-to-none for the money. Plus, I like that fact that it is a product of the USA. I have had mine for a couple of years now.

You can check e-Bay, but the Duet does not appreciate much. I spent awhile looking on e-Bay and the best I could do was save fifty dollars or less, but that was without a warranty and then there is always the anxiety if the product will be up to manufacturer standards due to the fact that you are buying from some unknown person. I have seen them on sale at Sweetwater on occasion...they usually knock fifty or so off.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-25-2010, 01:50 AM

I have personally always leaned towards USB microphones when doing basic recording, I find them easiest to use on my Macs with Garageband for informal stuff. Plug and play, though if you don't have the processing power they will run your disk space up quick. I have been very impressed with the "Blue" line of USB microphones, reasonably priced and perform quite well.

www.bryanedward.bandcamp.com
Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 AM

SM,

What mics do you have? In the "chain is as strong as its weakest link" philosophy, do you want to stay where you're at or move up?

The Centrance Mic Port Pro (@$150) is as simple as it gets with good features. USB to Mic level converter. It's 24/96. There are cheaper devices but the ones I've seen are only 16-bit and may lack some features.

I tried it with my Schoeps mics and found that while Mic Port Pro won't replace one of my really good preamps, it did a very OK job.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks for all the great input. I've got two mics...an AT4040, and I believe the other is a Studio Projects(?) C1. The latter is a cheap mic, and the AT is so-so.

I've also got a small condensor mic...AKG C1000.

I'll probably have to stand pat with what I've got in terms of mics.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Scotty,

What do you want to record? guitar only? voice and guitar?

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: actually the AT4040 is a very nice mic for the price. What did you have it plugged into? What was your recording space like?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD