The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong model comparison question

Hi all, curious if anyone can share thoughts between the model of the same size, strictly in terms of sound, with the difference in looks to be more obvious. Perhaps "composition" is a better term? At any rate, I decided I want a Rainsong WS. These come in a few different models, and it is hard to get an idea of what the sonic differences are. Considering an H, Concert (Classic?) and BI. Also curious about the CO model, with the offset soundhole.

I am hoping to get to a store that has many in stock, but it is about a 2 hour ride, so I have to plan that accordingly. In the interim, for anyone who has auditioned these, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they sound different from each other.

For reference, I'm mainly a strummer, occasional simple arpeggio and fingerstyle player, use it in solo Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony accompaniment, and some acoustic duo singer/songwriter gigs. in the duo case, my playing partner has an old, loud-but-sweet Guild dread.

Thanks!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I can't speak to much of your question but will point out that the offset sound hole is a consideration. I have a Cargo and the only thing I am less than fully pleased with is the offset sound hole. I find myself still (after a couple years) hitting the top with my pick (only rarely now, getting better!). This isn't a big deal but would probably be a problem amplified. That said, many of the CF guitars have the offset sound hole. I myself will go for the traditional placement on my next guitar (though the Cargo is still a keeper).
Old 05-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I can't speak to much of your question but will point out that the offset sound hole is a consideration. I have a Cargo and the only thing I am less than fully pleased with is the offset sound hole. I find myself still (after a couple years) hitting the top with my pick (only rarely now, getting better!). This isn't a big deal but would probably be a problem amplified. That said, many of the CF guitars have the offset sound hole. I myself will go for the traditional placement on my next guitar (though the Cargo is still a keeper).
Thanks Jim. I'm leaning toward the Classic, with the standard sound hole placement, was really more curious as to what that one sounds like. In addition, that model is a short scale, and I'd absolutely have to play it before committing that kind of money. i know I should do that with each, but I'd be more willing to buy without playing if it is something I am more familiar with.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I just picked up two different CF's just to compare and keep the one that fit my style of play. The first was a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid which has the WS size body which is a 12 fret and also a CA GX which is a really great looking guitar. I wanted to like the GX more than the Smokey just because of the looks but the Smokey won out in tone, volume and ease of play.....It has a real warm sounding tone more like a wood guitar than a CF.....so I sold the GX......good luck on your search
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

It's been about a year, but I've played or owned them. Here's my thoughts, worth what you are paying for them. LOL I'm a strummer too....

H-WS1000N2 was the warmest fullest tone of the WS models that I played. I bought this one.

The others were clear, bright and chimey. You hear it described as piano like. And that's true. May be great for a fingerstyle player, but not for my style.

The CO-1005 with the offset soundhole was really nice, lots of bass, I liked it a lot, but the price was a bit too much compared to the H-WS1000N2

I haven't played any of the new CH models.

You really got to play them all. Great guitars. I like offset soundholes, the Cargo and Emeralds work just fine for me.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:10 AM

I'm curious why the Concert Hybrid series isn't on your list? It's an incredible value, great sound, and very playable with the matte finish on the neck. I admit I'm biased, since I own a CH-WS, but it's worth adding to your considerations.

The Hybrid is probably the warmest of the Rainsongs, at least in my experience. The Classic, Black Ice, and Concert all seem to be a bit brighter. The Concert and CH are pretty lively due to the unidirectional carbon top. The Classic and Black Ice sound very similar, the big difference being cosmetic. The Black Ice is very striking in appearance.

I've played one offset soundhole model, but it's been quite a while. I don't remember there being a huge difference in tone, but I'll defer to anyone with more experience.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 PM

CH WS is a great Value and sounds great as well
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone, please keep them coming. Great question about the CH-WS, yes it is a great value. I like some inlays on a neck. So that leaves the H and up, from what I've seen for sale. I may play one, if available to do so, but for now, the H would be the least expensive model I think I would be after. I like the looks of the Classic, with a bit of ornamentation around the sound hole, I'd have to see the Black Ice in person, they are striking, but could be too much of a good thing for my taste. In my head, it really is between the H (of which I have an OM, and like it) and the Classic, which might be good if it is a little brighter. I can always trim that back with the EQ on the pickup or on the amp.

Again, I really appreciate all the input!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Rainsong model comparison question

+1 For the H-WS100N2
The guitar has great volume and really sings for strumming or fingerpicking. It also has a top notch pickup system. Mine came with a horrible setup. I lowered the bridge saddle, cut the nut slightly and put on light strings. The playability of the guitar now is as good as any of my Taylor’s or Martins. The tone is definitely different than wood guitars.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-18-2018, 05:05 PM

I've owned quite a few different RainSongs over the years. Today I've got a CH-PA and a CH-WS. Ted at LA Guitars could get you a CH-WS with whatever ornamentation you want. I think the CH-WS is the best sounding RainSong (this is just my opinion).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 AM

I played all of the above this winter and ended up going with the classic WS. I play mostly fingerstyle but with some strumming and (poor) singing as well. Mine came with a fantastic (low) setup and played great out of the box(thank you Ted). My Shorty did need set up work after I got it new as well, so that can be hit or miss.
To your question, to my ear no discernible difference between the BI and WS. The offset soundhole didn’t seem to offer a lot of difference to me, but the acoustic room was starting to get crowded by then. I had my Shorty with me for comparison and really ended up liking the BI/classic sound as being complementary for my wants. That said, I spent about an hour just going back and forth with the H-WS and the BI and the classic. All great guitars.
Enjoy the journey.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any fret markers available on the H-WS1000N2, at least there weren't when I ordered mine. There's dot markers on top of the neck.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any fret markers available on the H-WS1000N2, at least there weren't when I ordered mine. There's dot markers on top of the neck.
Yes, there are dots on the fretboard.

http://www.rainsong.com/hybrid/hws6.html

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've owned quite a few different RainSongs over the years. Today I've got a CH-PA and a CH-WS. Ted at LA Guitars could get you a CH-WS with whatever ornamentation you want. I think the CH-WS is the best sounding RainSong (this is just my opinion).
I didn’t know the CH is customizable, thank you. Been corresponding with Ted, he recommended my original H-OM. I can ask about that. I do want to try to play the different models before buying, if possible, though.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM

I have a CH-OM and love it. A good friend of mine here in Nashville is a renowned Grammy award winning producer and songwriter. The other night, he tried my new Rainsong and was blown away. I saw him a couple of days later and he said, "I can't get that guitar out of my head. It's incredible. I'd record with it any day." Before I bought the CH-OM, I tested the CH-PA. It is also a great guitar, but I'm glad I went for a slightly larger body style.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber