The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM

I bought one of the Ego chordless electric mowers last year when my 10 year old Black and Decker chordless electric needed a new battery. The battery for the Black and Decker was expensive relative to the price of a new mower so I invested n a new Ego. Mine is not self propelled. It is a great mower. The only question will be how long it will run. I really liked the Black and Decker and it served me well for a long time, however, this mower is way better. It cuts well, it isn't heavy, and it charges in a little over an hour. We have a good size property, but we got rid of a lot of the grass to plant other things. It takes me 30 minutes to cut the grass and it is easily done on a charge. The Black and Decker needed to be charged over night to do the half hour. This one is also a better mower just in terms of cutting and mulching. It's really quiet. No need to apologize to neighbors about cutting and making a racket while they are doing there thing in the yard. It's also pretty light and easy to maneuver. I got the box in and out of the back of my Mini Cooper myself and I am not no stronger than any one else 66 years old and 5'7" and 135 lbs. only had to mow 4 times so far this year, but so far at the beginning of year 2 with the Ego, it has been a big winner for me. Happy to try and answer questions if anyone has any.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Ah, what would life be without the sweet smell of burned gasoline and cut grass on a Saturday afternoon?

I recently went three years not being able to mow my yard due to a heart condition. When I put my mower away I ran it dry then poured out the remaining fuel from the gas tank. After they got my heart dialed in, this year I pulled out the old mower, got a new gas can, filled her up and primed. Two tugs of the rope and Brannnngg! we were off to the races. Thank you Briggs & Stratton.

the '63 Chevy Impala of the mower world: big, dumb, and reliable and this one has a crankcase
ventilator, auto-throttle, and other air pollution controls!

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to mow your own yard after you were previously unable. I know it sounds wacky.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Ah, what would life be without the sweet smell of burned gasoline and cut grass on a Saturday afternoon?

Bob
Better without the burned gas.

Ed
Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Mowers break. Used to live on 5 acres and had to mow two. Always used gas and could get 8-10 years out of the modestly priced ones, always repaired them myself. I would definitely check the cost of a replacement battery for the $500 electric before going that way as I doubt it will do anything a $150 Murray won't do.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

I recently went three years not being able to mow my yard due to a heart condition. When I put my mower away I ran it dry then poured out the remaining fuel from the gas tank. After they got my heart dialed in, this year I pulled out the old mower, got a new gas can, filled her up and primed. Two tugs of the rope and Brannnngg! we were off to the races. Thank you Briggs & Stratton.

the '63 Chevy Impala of the mower world: big, dumb, and reliable and this one has a crankcase
ventilator, auto-throttle, and other air pollution controls!

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to mow your own yard after you were previously unable. I know it sounds wacky.

Bob
Cutting the grass on a nice summer day, a bit of breeze, with a coffee or beer. Great way to enjoy a couple of hours.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Mowers break. Used to live on 5 acres and had to mow two. Always used gas and could get 8-10 years out of the modestly priced ones, always repaired them myself. I would definitely check the cost of a replacement battery for the $500 electric before going that way as I doubt it will do anything a $150 Murray won't do.
I mow about 3 acres with my Elec-Trak. Replacement batteries, 6 golf cart batteries, about $700. figures out to around $100 to $150 a year. That includes snow blowing.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I might agree with that but we all have different requirements that we may or may not be willing to pay for. Technically, a Martin D28 doesn't do anything a $150 Fender acoustic doesn't either and yet some of us feel that there are differences worth paying for. This is the same thing.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I would definitely check the cost of a replacement battery for the $500 electric before going that way as I doubt it will do anything a $150 Murray won't do.
The $150 Murray can't be started by the push of a button, can't cut the grass while producing zero emissions, at a sound pressure level of (well) under 100dB.

I find it amusing how we all perceive value so differently... A lot of people would probably say there is nothing a $500 guitar can do that a $150 one can't. And, their point would have some merit. However, to some folks, that $500 guitar would be perceived as far superior to the $150 one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I realized a number of years ago while working at Lowes that lawn maintenance is a pretty crazy thing. Think about it, we spend much time and money trying to grow a beautiful lawn only to spend additional time and money to cut said lawn. I think it's one of those things like walking dogs and scooping their poop that will cause aliens to question our collective level of intelligence. What's the alternative, you ask? I'm real big on ground covers like moss and periwinkle that seem to grow very well on their own and don't need cutting....
Love it! That's what I want!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Cutting the grass on a nice summer day
Even better: Having one of my teenagers do it
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Reminds me of a joke. Just a joke, hopefully not over the line (or even near it) for the AGF rule about religion...

God to Saint Francis Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, milkweeds and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But, all I see are these green rectangles.

Saint Francis It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

God Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

Saint Francis Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

God The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

Saint Francis Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week.

God They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

Saint Francis Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

God They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

Saint Francis No, Sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

God Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

Saint Francis Yes, Sir.

God These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

Saint Francis You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

God What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.

Saint Francis You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

God No!? What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?

Saint Francis After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

God And where do they get this mulch?

Saint Francis They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

God Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

Saint Catherine 'Dumb and Dumber', Lord. It's a story about....

God Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

The cycle of growing and cutting grass is akin to the punishment imposed on Sisyphus...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Reminds me of a joke... "Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis."
Love it! And I will be using it, too. Thanks!

cotten
Old 05-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Even better: Having one of my teenagers do it
Cutting the grass has been my little bi weekly half hour of solace for years now! Lol!

Plus, I get to have a daytime beer when I do it.

Ed
Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
I bought one of the Ego chordless electric mowers last year when my 10 year old Black and Decker chordless electric needed a new battery. The battery for the Black and Decker was expensive relative to the price of a new mower so I invested n a new Ego. Mine is not self propelled. It is a great mower. The only question will be how long it will run. I really liked the Black and Decker and it served me well for a long time, however, this mower is way better. It cuts well, it isn't heavy, and it charges in a little over an hour. We have a good size property, but we got rid of a lot of the grass to plant other things. It takes me 30 minutes to cut the grass and it is easily done on a charge. The Black and Decker needed to be charged over night to do the half hour. This one is also a better mower just in terms of cutting and mulching. It's really quiet. No need to apologize to neighbors about cutting and making a racket while they are doing there thing in the yard. It's also pretty light and easy to maneuver. I got the box in and out of the back of my Mini Cooper myself and I am not no stronger than any one else 66 years old and 5'7" and 135 lbs. only had to mow 4 times so far this year, but so far at the beginning of year 2 with the Ego, it has been a big winner for me. Happy to try and answer questions if anyone has any.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff - practical experience is so valuable. I pick mine up tomorrow, and can't wait to give it a workout. Been away for a few days, and this time of the year, the lawn needs mowing every 4-5 days until it all settles down a bit during the summer.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic