The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
The Blackbird Rider is smaller than the Rainsong Parlor. The Rider is wonderful.
Barb
PLUS ONE on this! A great little guitar.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If actually backpacking any guitar, you will also need to figure in the weight of whatever bag it is in and consider how you will carry/attach it.

How many here have backpacked with a guitar?

I'll raise my hand and say... "Not me!"
I have, sir! Size really matters then!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I've never been backpacking with a guitar, but have taken my Go Grand on many day hikes when I first got it. If you've never played one, the Go Grand is quite a little guitar. Like the Rider and RS Parlor, it has a full 24.9" scale, excellent playability, weighs in under 3 pounds with case, and it has a surprisingly full tone. Sam Radding, the guy who gave Bob Taylor his start was building them in San Diego and it was love at first strum for me.
I still have my Go Grand Mahogany, too, Ted, and they are indeed great guitars. I can't bear to part with it even though I now also have the Blackbird Rider...

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
How is the rider to play? Its shaped a bit like the martin backpacker which I found really hard to play without being tightly strapped. Cool looking guitar though. Looks like a full sized neck.
I know it's not eveyone's cup of tea, but I am just fine with playing my rider with a strap, sitting or standing. I just adjust it right to where I want it and it's good to go.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I know it's not eveyone's cup of tea, but I am just fine with playing my rider with a strap, sitting or standing. I just adjust it right to where I want it and it's good to go.
What would you compare it's tone and volume too, out of the range of more common wooden acoustic travel guitars? Thanks!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Jon, that's hard to say, because I don't know if there's even a standard definition for "travel guitar," from what I've read here before. "Travel" to me means compact -- as in, NOT a full body or even parlor-size guitar -- but I know that's not necessarily everyone else's definition. I really like the Rider because it sounds great to me as the player. I'm guessing that it's not going to put out quite the fullness and volume, say, ten feet or more away, as many full-bodied guitars (although I think it does just fine!). But as I'm playing it, it has a bright, rich and sparkly sound but with full range to it -- it'll surprise you for what a body that size puts out. I strum with a pick and play fingerstyle too. No complaints here at all. It definitely has a low end that I can feel and hear. It has that sound port in the headstock that really helps fill-out the sound -- again, as you're playing it. But it really rings and I love the sound. And you can't beat the benefits of carbon fiber. And it's gorgeous, IMO, too.

I will add though that, dollar-for-dollar, I'd have to say my Go Guitar grand mahogany is the better value overall. The Rider is just the Ferrari of the two -- and its price tag shows it, at about 1/6 or so (?) the price. Check out the Go Guitars if you can.

PS -- I'll see if I can post a short video sometime soon playing both the Rider and the Go... for whatever that might be worth!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I have tried a variety of small guitars over the years. While I wouldn't consider it a backpacking guitar, the Emerald X7 mentioned by others in this thread is an amazingly comfortable small guitar that doesn't play or sound small. It doesn't need special straps or a NeckUp to be comfortable and functional.

Some small guitars feel odd or unbalanced to me - not the X7. I would be fine putting the comfortable gig bag on my back... for a day hike. But, not for what I would consider backpacking... where a shelter/sleeping bag, ground cloth, food, water, first aid kit, flashlight, cooking gear, etc, etc, would make me rethink taking any guitar along.

I remember seeing the Martin Backpacker for the first time and thinking: this would be good for backpacking... to use for kindling.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:55 PM

I used to have an X7-OS and I did not find the tone quite enough for me. A GS Mini sounds great to me for tone and volume. The Baby Taylor is not good enough and an LX is unacceptable (to me). I wonder where the Rider fits in this range between a GS Mini and an LX...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I still have my Go Grand Mahogany, too, Ted, and they are indeed great guitars. I can't bear to part with it even though I now also have the Blackbird Rider...
Same here, Sean. I also have a String Smith Vagabond which is as good, tonally, but like my pre Martin McNally Backpacker, it just doesn't feel that durable. For the money the Go Grand is hard to beat.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM

I've got a Journey OF660. It's great for traveling and also for throwing in the back / boot of the car (I have a Miata / MX5).

It's case makes a good backpack but not the sort for serious back packing, it nicely replaces my casual around town backpack.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 PM

To throw this conversation in a slightly different direction, I've taken my baritone uke on a few walks. If the weather looks iffy I might take a yamaha guitalele or applause soprano uke or just leave them all at home or in the car.

Baritone uke pros:
1) Light and fairly easy to carry.
2) A lot smaller than my guitars.
3) Same key as standard guitar.
4) Really fun to play

Cons:
1) Doesn't handle weather changes well - definitely not rainproof
2) Feels fragile - probably most delicate of the instruments I regularly play
3) The baritone sticks out of my backpack more than the other two, so I have to either take it out and tie it on or be careful walking with overhanging objects. Afraid I will break it if I am in a hurry.

Bottom line is that I like the baritone uke the best of my small stringed guitar like objects as it's a lot like playing a regular guitar.

PS Edited to add that all three options (uke, baritone uke or guitalele) can be had for under $100 though you can go a lot higher if you want to get the Ferrari (i.e. CF) version.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 03-01-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 AM

Someone caught this picture of me on an outing a while back. It was all I needed for the day.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1wMUh2em1tNXpn

Caution CF content.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

I tried a uke and found I really wanted the other two strings. I also tried the guitalele which comes close to an ideal travel guitar, other than the tuning.

For a number of years I worked on making a suitcase guitar, the challenge being to make a guitar no longer than 24". I made 4 prototypes and each one worked (with a 19" scale and a very tight headstock.) I sent them to Alistair who rightly observed that the cost of a CF suitcase guitar would be prohibitive compared to the price of a uke or guitalele.

I took one of the suitcase guitars on a cruise and found that it projected well enough to be heard in adjoining rooms. I like the idea and continue to think that a suitcase guitar could have a strong market.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:19 PM

I tend to be pragmatic. That's why you often won't see me carrying anything much more than my guitar on day hikes. I almost always took a soft case in the old days, but I just don't worry as much about the CF guitars. I don't like how the neck is either above my head or hitting my legs when they are in a case. I generally have people who know where to look for me, and I often carry a phone and pocket knife if I wander off by myself. I haven't fallen on a guitar lately, but I have dropped or banged it a few times that I remember.

I probably could get used to sticking to cowboy chords on the guitalele and at that price and playability it's hard to justify getting something that costs more than 10 times and only gets used occasionally. If I can bring a full size guitar, then I bring it like I did on the day of that photo.

I could be interested in a hinge on the neck of something the size of a Cargo. If it works well it would be great, but I don't think I am going to commission one or try to build one. I have enough toys already though if it fell into my lap I would probably let it follow me home and feed it.

I pretty much stick to strumming with the baritone uke because I keep reaching for those missing strings whenever I try to pick. Makes me rethink my chording and probably for the better.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM

At the risk of having missed a comment about the Emerald X5... While not in production, they are small and light. I am not a backpacker but it is a well built and plays well. There are critics to tone, but then there are critics about everything. If you can find a used X5 it might be worth considering.

I have one and am glad I do. Quoting the 'Mighty K' (kramster) ...just sayin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber