The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Something very special about playing guitar while in the cockpit of a boat, anchored away from civilization. And then having all the amenities for your comfort, right inside the cabin!

I remember backpacking... these days, I'd rather be RVing or boat cruising.

And, for some additional perspective: it is more than the measurements that make a guitar a good traveler. It needs to play and sound great so you want to take it along.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 PM

121, those specs are not entirely accurate, but more importantly, they don't address bulk. The Rider without electronics is actually under 3 pounds, and half as bulky as the Alpaca. And while the Rainsong Parlor is 2" longer than the Cargo and the X7, (which are about the same size and bulk) the RS Parlor is almost a pound lighter, and no more bulky, making it much more portable than the numbers might suggest.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:44 AM

I just did a search for the Rainsong Parlor online--Amazon, Musician's Friend, Elderly, and Ted's place. I couldn't find the overall length or weight of the Parlor listed anywhere for some reason. Maybe some other dealers list it, I but I just didn't see it.

Emerald lists the X7 as 34 inches long and 3.5 lbs.

Does anyone who has a Rainsong Parlor with electronics know the actual weight? Maybe someone has a digital scale at home.

Is there any difference in both the weight and length between the 14 fret and 12 fret Parlor versions?

I was amazed to read the Rainsong Parlor weighs a full pound less than the Emerald! That makes it only 2.5 lbs! Super light indeed.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

If actually backpacking any guitar, you will also need to figure in the weight of whatever bag it is in and consider how you will carry/attach it.

How many here have backpacked with a guitar?

I'll raise my hand and say... "Not me!"
Old 02-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
...I was amazed to read the Rainsong Parlor weighs a full pound less than the Emerald! That makes it only 2.5 lbs! Super light indeed.
I never mentioned the weight of the x7. Got rid of my Emeralds years ago, but I do have a Cargo, (several actually) and a Rainsong Parlor at home, both without electronics, and on my non digital trigger scale, the Rainsong Parlor weighs almost 1 pound less. Couldn't tell you the exact difference, but it's enough to make me recommend the Rainsong Parlor over the Cargo for backpacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If actually backpacking any guitar, you will also need to figure in the weight of whatever bag it is in and consider how you will carry/attach it.

How many here have backpacked with a guitar?

I'll raise my hand and say... "Not me!"
Blackbird actually offers a "stuff bag" for the Rider which brings the entire package to just over 3 pounds. I've never been backpacking with a guitar, but have taken my Go Grand on many day hikes when I first got it. If you've never played one, the Go Grand is quite a little guitar. Like the Rider and RS Parlor, it has a full 24.9" scale, excellent playability, weighs in under 3 pounds with case, and it has a surprisingly full tone. Sam Radding, the guy who gave Bob Taylor his start was building them in San Diego and it was love at first strum for me.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM

I've been really happy with my Baby Taylor. Not as small and light as a Backpacker, but sounds way better. I found a waterproof tent bag that fits and have taken it canoe and kayak paddling/camping in Hawaii. And it's logged tens of thousands of miles in airline overheads. Recently added K&K PUPs and used for some open mics while traveling and got lots of compliments.

Maybe a little bulking for backpacking, but it's lighter than the little Martin and maybe could be strapped to a backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Smallest CF Guitar ?

I just checked for basic dimensions at the websites for the Alpaca, Blackbird Rider Steel, CA Cargo, Emerald X7 and Rainsong Parlor guitars.
I believe I transcribed the information correctly.

Alpaca........ 32.25" long,__ 11" wide,____ 3.5" deep ____2.9 pounds
Rider Steel.. 35.5" long,___ 10.5" wide,__ 4.25" deep, ___3 pounds
Cargo. ........34.978" long, _13.328" wide_ 3.685" deep, __no weight listed
Emerald X7. 34" long,_____ 13- 3/8" wide, 3-3/4" deep,__3.5 pounds
RS P12.......37.78"long____13.34" wide,_4.125" deep,___no weight listed

I agree with Jim, depending on the back packing situation, a harmonica in the pocket maybe better than back packing a guitar.
I added RainSong Parlor to the list
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 02-21-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJamieB View Post
I've been really happy with my Baby Taylor. Not as small and light as a Backpacker, but sounds way better. I found a waterproof tent bag that fits and have taken it canoe and kayak paddling/camping in Hawaii. And it's logged tens of thousands of miles in airline overheads. Recently added K&K PUPs and used for some open mics while traveling and got lots of compliments.

Maybe a little bulking for backpacking, but it's lighter than the little Martin and maybe could be strapped to a backpack.
Love the Baby Taylor, Jamie. Got one 20 years ago and I still have it. Back then they were made in the US, and came with a super nice hardshell case with the Tayor logo. Mine has been camping, and out on my boat, but once I got my Blackbird Rider the Baby T sort of got ignored. Currently it's setup in Terz tuning so it still gets some play time.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I added RainSong Parlor to the list
121, the specs you are providing are off, for instance the Rider is only 4" deep, not 4.5" and the Cargo is actually 35 1/4" long, but as noted already, the specs are mostly irrelevant. I have owned all of these guitars, and handled the Alpaca, and it's no contest, for backpacking I would take the rider in a stuff bag and never look back.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I weighed my 12fret RS parlor....about 3.5 pounds. Its measured overall length is ~37.5"

I've used martin backpacker, martin LX1 and this RS for back packing, travel and sailing. Backpacker just doesn't sound good and hard to play because of its size and shape. LX1 was fine most everything but I've grown in playing so it isn't so great anymore (feel and sound). RS is my go to for comfort and sound.

Anyways, if I were to long distance pack such as weeks at a time, which I've done, a harmonica would be the heaviest thing I'd want to carry. A 10-12 mile hike into a nice lake for a few days I'd strap the RS to my pack in its gig bag.

BTW, am considering CF tuners to reduce the weight by another 6 ounces.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
121, the specs you are providing are off, for instance the Rider is only 4" deep, not 4.5" and the Cargo is actually 35 1/4" long, but as noted already, the specs are mostly irrelevant. I have owned all of these guitars, and handled the Alpaca, and it's no contest, for backpacking I would take the rider in a stuff bag and never look back.
The OP (billder99) is looking for a CF guitar smaller than the RainSong Parlor, because they felt the RS Parlor is a bit large to carry into the desert or mountains.
In an effort to help them in their search, I gathered specs ( length, width, depth and weight when provided) from the websites of these guitar manufactures, and I believe I transcribed the info correctly to this thread. The two specs you say are off, I checked again and they are correct as I originally listed them, according to those websites.

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...r-steel-string
http://assets.peavey.com/literature/...8070_18008.pdf

Here are the other websites if anyone wishes to research the specs.
http://alpacaguitar.com/alpaca-carbo...travel-guitar/
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x7...v=7516fd43adaa
http://www.rainsong.com/parlor/p12.html

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-21-2017, 02:43 PM

121:

Your specs look pretty good.

The X7 stands out to me as far as travel size goes. It's pretty compact.

The Rider is a great guitar and is 0.5 lbs less, but it should weigh less since it has no truss rod or electronics.

The X7, in the past, before it had a truss rod, was 2.8 lbs, as I recall. But the truss rod is standard now and adds a tad more weight.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

How is the rider to play? Its shaped a bit like the martin backpacker which I found really hard to play without being tightly strapped. Cool looking guitar though. Looks like a full sized neck.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
How is the rider to play? Its shaped a bit like the martin backpacker which I found really hard to play without being tightly strapped. Cool looking guitar though. Looks like a full sized neck.
We ship the Riders with the Blackbird recommended NeckUp strap which allows the player to play comfortably in a number of positions. When not in use, it folds away and fits in the case without having to be removed.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:11 PM

FWIW:

Lucky 13 comes in at 37.5" x 14" x 4.5"
X20 is a bit bigger overall at 40″ x 15.25” x 4.75” but feels smaller (other than scale length) probably because of the bevel and other ergonomics.

I have used both for traveling.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 AM

Holy Moly... OP here... I've been away from AGF for awhile, just checking in and find a GREAT bunch of responses regarding backpacking with small guitars.

Ted, I really appreciate and respect your unequivocal advice.. Best of Class = Blackbird Rider. I have a Lucky 13 and it is way too big for backpacking... but such a great guitar!, so I am familiar with Blackbird quality and tone. What a cool story about your Alaska adventure... I am envious, will never be able to afford that sort of trip.

Capt Jim & Dadio, your words on backpacking with a guitar are regretfully sage advice. I am not a UL hiker and I am big and strong so not worried about the weight... the bulk is another matter... I have been thinking about the bulk alot. I had a Yamaha Guitelele for a couple of years... it only cost $89 so I wouldn't have cared if I'd accidentally damaged it, but it was unsatisfying to play (like the Martin Backpacker). I've been thinking about re-learning mandolin and taking my old Muddy River... but mandolins are even more sensitive than guitars (floating bridges). In the end, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion as you guys... taking a stringed instrument is best reserved for roadside camping or short day hikes and my Lucky 13 is perfect for either one. The compulsion is still strong though... I do love playing guitar in the silence of the wild under the stars by firelight.

Jim, I also love your comments regarding the magic of having a CF guitar on a boat. I'm sure you don't remember, but it was being out on my boat down on the Sea of Cortez that led me to CF guitars in the first place... I got a WS1000 and I've been hooked on CF ever since. Regarding diving, I'm a free diver and spear fisherman, and there is lot's non-water time on the boat with long transits to and from good locations... my dive buddies always enjoy the entertainment, mediocre though it may be... with a few beers, of course.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 02-28-2017 at 04:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber