The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Let's talk Weissenborn

I started playing lap steel a few weeks ago, with a regular acoustic guitar converted to lap style with a nut extender. I'm having a blast with it.

I would really, really like a Weissenborn style instrument. Not much information out there about these. Manufacturers seem to fall into two categories: asian imports at a $1k-ish price point (Gold Tone, Anderwood, etc.), and handmade American instruments at $3k and higher (Asher, etc.)

I tend to like nicer stuff. Any lesser-instrument I've ever bought has soon been replaced with a high end model. However, without actually playing any Weissenborns, it's hard to make a value judgement on how good the high-end ones are, or how bad the imports are.

Any advice on where I can even go to play one? Anyone in Atlanta have one that I could try? I have been in-store or looked at the websites for Maple Street, Elderly, Mandolin Brothers, Rudy's... have yet to see a single one I could even try.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 10-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Not much to add except that I am going through similar journey.
In my case I own a Regal round neck spider resonator, it has been modded with Quarterman cone and a good set up by my guitar tech.
At the moment I am too using it as a dobro, have the nut extender, D'Addario heavy gauge strings and it works great for lap style.
Still I am thinking of getting a lap steel dedicated instrument. Seems sweet spot with Asian made weissenborn instruments is $1500 or so, there are a few to choose from in this price range, new and used. Some of the other high end instruments are well out of my price range.
At the moment I think I will comit to a electric lap steel by Gretsch, they go for about $350, start on six string and if I really get into it I wouldn't mind adding eight string down the road. Not quite the weissenborn but plugged into a good modeling amp should be interesting weapon of choice. Good luck with whatever you choose to go with.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

I have a NRP single cone reso for "regular" slide playing, which is awesome, and a tricone squareneck for lap style (not a national), but I'm hankering for a more mellow tone for my lap playing. I'd like to try a top-range, luthier made weissenborn but haven't seen any around and don't have the $3K+ required anyway. I have played the goldtone but found the tone a little lacking. I saw an old HiLo (1930s?) weissenborn going for around $3K but really didn't think it sounded very good at all...I'm guess it was more a collector's item? I did try a weissenborn for around $1K that sounded pretty good, made by a smaller luthier in Santa Barbara who's name unfortunately I can't remember (it wasn't imperial, who I think are around there somewhere, although I'd like to try one of thiers).
A friend has an old gretsch squareneck (non-reso) which sounds beautiful. I'm thinking of buying an old yamaha 12 string I've seen in my local second-hand store and replacing the nut, as it has the extra neck width.
Don't know if this ramble helps any but interested in hearing how you go!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Weissenborn? Paddy Burgin! Just ask David Lindley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPa9ltSbnzM

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeqblkA6Y0

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 AM

I play a Tim Kill Weiss.

Checkout: timkillcustom.com
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Aaron

In April I purchased an Iseman weissenborn. They are marketed on eBay and by several stores. They also have a website just look under Iseman guitars. He also has some you tube vids. Mark Iseman is a skilled luthier and his weissenborns are top rate. He lives In Hawaii and seems to have a good source for koa. Workmanship is very good and sound is wonderful. His prices are very reasonable and and you can order a basic guitar or go all out with rope binding ect. I would check them out
Ed
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Thanks guys. For those of you with the nice high-end ones, have you ever been able to compare them to the imports? How do they stack up?

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Hi Aaron, I'm brand new to this site and this was not the way I intended to "jump in" but your post caught my eye... I just uploaded a picture of one of my wiessenborns in the gallery, it probably hasn't cleared yet but Id be happy to have you take a quick look. I have lots of pictures of the builds and as I said, this was not my choice of introduction, I'm not sure how this all works but I would be happy to share.

thanks, don wilson, dkwvt
Old 10-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Aaron
I don't know how mine stacks up because I bypassed the import models. I have found from experience that when I usually gets listed on eBay after about 6 months. I also wanted a koa guitar and many of the import are not.
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Default I just go a Lazy River

I was in the same situation until recently. I used an extension nut on a Martin OM, and it lost its appeal after awhile. Part of the reason was the scale length - it was too long. Also, it was hard to slant the bar and stay in tune.

I just bought a used Lazy River Weissenborn on ebay for just under $1,000 and its a substantial improvement. Its much more comfortable to play and slanting the bar is much easier. I think new Lazy Rivers start around $1,500.

If you want to go higher, I really like the Tony Francis models. You can get a Style 1 at $2,500.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Pricey and not so pricey

I have played the Goldtone, the Superior, original Weissenborns, Bear Creek, and Tony Francis. Almost went with Lazy River early on, but held out for the Bear Creek.

Tonally, the Bear Creek and the Tony Francis builds really shine. The originals are hit and miss, but worth it when you come across a good one.

Paddy Burgin's are great as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Thumbs up Weissenborns

Partner; if you go over to RESO-HANGOUT there's a video essay currently up from HERRMANN GUITARS in Italy that you may find informative;I certainly did and the builder is v/prompt and responsive in his replies. I'm giving serious consideration to his product as he has access to top quality woods at much more accessable prices than most of the builders that I've looked into. Also, right now, ISEMAN has a 20% off sale on.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Hi, in answer to your question about cheap Asian models - I did that - awful ....... BUT not all Far Eastern instruments are bad.

If you aren't in the market for a top price one, ten investigate the Goldtone - their stuff is pretty good.

I finally settled on a British made piece by a guy called Peter Gosden.

see : http://www.gosdenguitars.co.uk
Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Do lap slide guitars need specific strings? Or can I just use regular acoustic guitar strings?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixy View Post
Do lap slide guitars need specific strings? Or can I just use regular acoustic guitar strings?
Usually a bit heavier, particularly the 1st and second strings, because you are not going to be fretting the guitar and to help support the slide, along with giving a more robust tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments