The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Default Requesting opinions please - Acoustic Archtops

I'm trying to decide between two pure acoustic Archtops and would love to hear your opinions.

Godin 5th ave or at twice the price..Eastman 605. Not having the ability to play either at this time, is the general opinion that Eastman is worth twice the cost of the Godin?

I've played both guitars with electronics (and preferred the Godin for less $$, but liked the Eastman slightly more), but I think for a pure acoustic Archtop, the Eastman might be worth the vig. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Whether it is worth twice as much depends on what you value. The Eastman is a vastly superior acoustic instrument. The Godin is not much acoustically, but has some real virtues when plugged in.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm no expert, only having played one Godin (and no other acoustic archtops). However, when the Godin came out, I read a number of threads on it (I was intrigued; thought they looked great and they were so affordable).

Anyway, one of the things I remember reading was that the Godin is voiced differently from traditional acoustic archtops. I would think that would play a big part in your decision. From the Godin website: "With more projection & volume in the low/mids than traditional archtop acoustic guitars..."

So, if you're looking for the sound of a traditional acoustic archtop, I would suspect the Eastman is the better choice. If the idea of "more projection & volume in the low/mids" appeals, the Godin might be a good choice.

I've also read that you need to replace the bridge on the Godin and that medium gauge strings bring them alive.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Both comments are helpful. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM

I think Eastman's are quite nice. Did you want purely acoustic or did you want pick-ups? I have a Samick JZ-4. You might give a look at the Samick's too.

If I recall correctly, I think the Eastman's have a carved top (not 100% sure of this and it may vary from model to model). That may be the reason for the price difference vs the Godin? Most lower priced Archtops do not have carved tops. Some use a laminate top that is pressed into shape during manufacture.

Good luck!

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM

D'Addario pbs on both, unplugged: the Godin is sharp to my ear, possessing a thin/hard tone. I like the sweet sounding brashness, the bass being fine within that context. The 605 has the solid wood aural breadth, and a bass warmth to each open string; exhibiting nowhere near the glaring 'pop' of the Godin. The Eastman is the finer guitar, no doubt, but is it the better guitar for what you want?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Apples and oranges.

The godin is going to be primarily an electric guitar, and give a great vintage-y tone plugged in. Acoustically, they don't sound like too much-- it's a small laminate box, similar to a gibson es-125. More than enough volume to practice with unplugged, but you won't be running out to record that acoustic tone anytime soon.

The eastman will deliver a much brighter, more transparent tone plugged in...more modern. Unplugged, it will have a good deal of punch in the midrange...a pleasing tone that records well, but a tone that is very different than a flattop...some folks don't get that an archtop is supposed to sound that way...

The godin is a steal price wise really, and while it is constructed very well, it's a no frills instrument for sure. What it lacks in prettiness it mnakes up for in solid construction/ playability.

The eastman will both look and sound like a professional instrument...the finishes are beautiful, the quality superb, on par with some other makers that cost a good deal more. So the eastman, while more expensive than the godin, is a heck of a deal too.

So it comes down to what you want...old school plugged in tones? Godin. Modern plugged in and real acoustic prescence? Eastman.

Have fun in your search...archtops are addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM

I own three archtops that I only play acoustically I have tried the godin and it was rather quiet and dull sounding. I own and eastman oval hole, a cushman f hole and a D'aquisto avant gard. The biggest difference that i notice is the difference between solid and laminate woods. The solid wood guitars sound better overall. They are sweeter and louder with a little more chord definition. My D'aquisto is a fine sounding guitar but lacks some of the high end and low end. It is also not as loud. for my money i like the eastman oval hole the best. I can play chord melody on it and country blues and it sounds great. It has great high end and plenty of chord definition for jazz. I like it esp. For chord melody. Oval hole archtops are very underated. I think my ideal guitar would be a mahogany or rosewood backed oval hole for strictly accoustic playing. Erich Solomon makes some neat stuff for large amounts of money. I would take the eastman over the laminate any day. You wont regret spending a few extra bucks.
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM

I disagree, the Eastman 605 is not vastly superior, and in my opinion overpriced.

The 5th av is an excellent guitar. Looks good, fun, light, well made, modestly priced, plays well.
Sounds great and sounds better with slight cheap mods such as fitting the bridge to the top ( 10 minutes) and trying some decent .012 or .013 strings.

Last edited by bohemian; 09-12-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM

OP, looks like folks will defend what they like.

Take my word for it, apples and oranges. You gotta decide if you want applesauce or marmalade.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Have fun in your search...archtops are addictive.
Amen to that.

Not totally relevant to the OPs comparison question, but now is probably a really good time to be buying higher quality, vintage archtops. They were quite in vogue in the 80's and 90's but have since fallen out of favor a bit. Prices on some have really come down, but that pendulum will eventually swing back the other direction and when it does, it will be hard and fast.

First time I ever played an archtop was like the first time I used a GPS in my car. It was one of those overwhelming moments when I suddenly realized I would never again be without one, for the rest of my life.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM

A simple objective report on the 5th compared to the Eastman is not a defense or a condemnation of either, but "vastly superior".. no way.

I have an observation of archtops...

in the 60's and 70's and into the early 80's you couldn't give one away... then
a few hip people discovered them and then the yuppies ( who have no original thoughts and seek only to elevate their status through acquisition of tangeable goods) started buying them and elevated the prices. The snowball rolled.

The economy tanked and the yups unloaded and the archtops are now out there, not because they fell out of favor with players but of profilers..
luckily there are some fine archtops out there now approaching pre yup pricing and affordable to musicians and aspiring musicians.

During the hay (hey)day along comes Eastman... offering some affordable instruments... some good some not so good. as it is with other brands and models. If I were interested in an Eastman it would be an 8 series... no electrics not cutaway.

The market could become saturated...a plus for buyers.

I like archtops...bought my first in 1966....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Here is an old discussion from the Acoustic Guitar magazine Gear Forum that gives a detailed review of the 5th Ave. Don't know if things have changed, but it's probably a good start:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...=028544#000000

Last edited by mchalebk; 09-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
The economy tanked and the yups unloaded
I have a business interest in keeping up with real time sale prices of many different things people are apt to 'collect'.

We're definitely- DEFINITELY- seeing this phenomenon play itself out in collecting fields that don't have a lot of depth in terms of personal financials.

The idea of unlimited, free money does very bizarre things to prices of collectible stuff. You figure that anyone who bought a house prior to 2006 was ostensibly told it could act as a credit card that they never had to really pay back since "real estate always goes up in value" and yeah, serious high-side pricing inefficiencies occurred in almost EVERYTHING, not just real estate.

The 'collector' areas that are getting plowed the hardest right now are the ones that saw a lot of 'status reaching' by people spending money they didn't have, or people spending what money that they did have in a reckless fashion, so when crisis (and the pink slip) came, they had no choice but to sell to survive. A lot of guys who didn't have a liquid 5 grand in the bank still managed to spend $12K on that vintage strat... or $30K on that vintage Chevelle... or $320K on that second home...

Areas that have virtually unlimited buyer depth and liquidity- like rare coins- aren't feeling it, but areas where prices were massively run up in the go-go years are now being proportionally run down in the lean times. It's a good time to have a few extra bucks to spend.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Here is an old discussion from the Acoustic Guitar magazine Gear Forum that gives a detailed review of the 5th Ave. Don't know if things have changed, btu it's probably a good start:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...=028544#000000
Thanks! That's and excellent thread and might have me GASing for two archtops (if money grew on trees).

I made my decision and bought a used Easton 605ce and can not wait to play it. Thanks for all the input..this is a great site and you guys really know your stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops