The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Default Impressed By Eastman Archtop

This was the first all solid archtop I've ever played. It was an 805 model, I believe. The difference between it and my 5th Avenue & old Silvertone was far more dramatic than the differences between a solid and laminate flat top. Is that expected in archtops? I understand these use an X bracing pattern rather than the older style parallel bars? Does that account for the dramatic change?
This was the first guitar I've played in a looooong time that made me start consider selling stuff.
Anybody have one? Thoughts?

EG
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM

agreed....I've had two and they are the first archtops I've owned that
had an inspiring, musical acoustic voice.
My Heritage 575 Custom is a wonderful guitar but even though it's a
solid wood carved guitar, it's basically a hollow electric guitar.
My Eastman guitars were much more satisfying acoustically.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:39 AM

So it's not just my gas talking?
I swear, I was calculating how much I could sell guitars for to pay for it!

EG
Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 AM

Without having gone on an extensive search for some amazing archtop, I think the Eastman I picked up used , (I think an 803ce), is the best archtop I've been able to find.

Along with this I've had for ~30 years a one or two-off signature Gibson l4c archtop 'oval-hole' that was prototyped for someone I know and given me as a gift. I used to think it was quite a guitar, and the Eastman made me realize how much better I liked it. (the Eastman). I've had a fair number of Gibson archtops but that was what was easy to get in those days, (when they weren't very expensive) and never had one I was nuts about.

Aside from that I've probably played all but the very top end of the archtops and still think that the Eastmans are a fluke of goodness in that world. Yeah, someone somewhere no doubt does a better job and when I played some (Probably I have the name wrong) Benedetto's? at Buffalo Bros, I liked those as well, but the shape of the ones in stock wasn't as satisfying for touch & feel to me as the Eastman they had.

So, maybe it's not in your head, or is in a few of our heads ;)

Good guitar. I have a few amplified & unamplified recordings on my YT site if you dig around.

So enjoy if you get it, (or if you don't). I've had a good time playing almost all of them, but thus far, the Eastman is in first place.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM

I have always loved the sounds of archtops on recordings, but for years I would pick up examples in stores and be really unimpressed.

Then one day I played some kind of vintage, solid wood, carved top (to differentiate them from bent or moulded tops; laminates are always bent) and back guitar. Can't remember the make or model.

That experience changed my life. For the last 20 years I have played hundreds, and owned 20 or so carved top guitars. I've changed my style of playing, added to my repertoire, learned to sing, etc. and it's all been about carved top guitars!

Welcome to the club, friend.

And BTW, I'm a big fan of the archtop Eastmans. They are astounding good values. But you also can't go wrong checking out vintage Epiphones.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM

According to a presentation I heard recently, the patriarch of the Eastman firm built well-regarded violins for many years before getting into guitars. I think their arch-tops are highly-respected.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 AM

I have a number of vintage carved archtops. I can assure you that a properly carved guitar has a sound unlike any of the laminates or pressed top guitars. Whether it is constructed with tone bars or an x-brace, these are the Kings of the guitar world. The skills necessary to make a fine guitar are enormous and those folks who can make guitars of this calibre are rare indeed.

Eastman are the least expensive of the pro-class guitars. The least expensive carved Gibson is the L-5 (about 3-4x the price of the Eastman and some may even be better sounding.) The only valid alternative to an Eastman today is a vintage Epiphone Triumph or Gibson L-7.

I have sold a number of the Eastman archtops since they were introduced and have had only minor issues with them. No more or less than other high-quality instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops