The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 03:11 AM

Default Martin SC 13E Still Prevails

I posted a review of the Martin SC guitar last month and there were comments that this innovative design was really just another cutaway. The guitar is shown here.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...es/SC-13E.html

So I tested this. I put 11 gauge strings on 2 of my guitars and then tried to solo above the 12th fret and 15th fret. It is nothing compared to the Martin. I then tried double stops and a number of picking types. I am convinced that people who commented that it is not an innovation and is just a cutaway have not tried the guitar. This is no ordinary acoustic, the whole thing is designed to make playing easier and it does this better than any other guitar I have seen. It is truly an innovation.

There is a natural resistance to new ideas, seen often in people who 'have seen it all'. I assure you, you have not seen it all. This is new.

I am not a fan of the neck, wider at nut and thinner at 12th fret, that seems like a pointless design feature.

I read the criticisms of its pickup system and conclude that if you own it or tested it, that the pickup does clean up with some EQ or the right speaker. I do admit that it is less then perfect. The tuner is also glitchy and not very useful.

But the overall design of an acoustic that is designed to work with 11 gauge, from the ground up, with full access to the neck above the 15th fret, is unique. You can do extended solo work above the 12t fret and that is not just the E and B strings. It means you can make chords, easily that high up the neck. That changes our playing fundamentally. Believe me, you are not going to spend a ton of time with any other acoustic above the 12th fret.

Then there are those who say that they never play that high up the neck on an acoustic. Fair enough. But you are missing out on a whole other dimension of the instrument.

There is nothing like the SC 13E, period. It is an innovation. In a forum where Martin vs Taylor can result in a duel with pistols, I expect some pushback. But do give this one a try if you love to solo on the acoustic as I do. Strummers need not apply. Fingerstyle....it is a dream to play.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad that you are enjoying your guitar.

Play on!
Old 10-26-2021, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I liked mine and only moved it on as part of a no-brainer trade for my D18MD.

I've considered acquiring one again as a gigging guitar but the pickup is a deal breaker. If they upgraded that I'd have one back in a heartbeat. I appreciate I could replace it myself and if it comes to it I probably will just go down that road- there's nothing else out there that achieves the playability and versatility of this model, in my view.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I posted a review of the Martin SC guitar last month and there were comments that this innovative design was really just another cutaway. The guitar is shown here.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...es/SC-13E.html

So I tested this. I put 11 gauge strings on 2 of my guitars and then tried to solo above the 12th fret and 15th fret. It is nothing compared to the Martin. I then tried double stops and a number of picking types. I am convinced that people who commented that it is not an innovation and is just a cutaway have not tried the guitar. This is no ordinary acoustic, the whole thing is designed to make playing easier and it does this better than any other guitar I have seen. It is truly an innovation.

There is a natural resistance to new ideas, seen often in people who 'have seen it all'. I assure you, you have not seen it all. This is new.

I am not a fan of the neck, wider at nut and thinner at 12th fret, that seems like a pointless design feature.

I read the criticisms of its pickup system and conclude that if you own it or tested it, that the pickup does clean up with some EQ or the right speaker. I do admit that it is less then perfect. The tuner is also glitchy and not very useful.

But the overall design of an acoustic that is designed to work with 11 gauge, from the ground up, with full access to the neck above the 15th fret, is unique. You can do extended solo work above the 12t fret and that is not just the E and B strings. It means you can make chords, easily that high up the neck. That changes our playing fundamentally. Believe me, you are not going to spend a ton of time with any other acoustic above the 12th fret.

Then there are those who say that they never play that high up the neck on an acoustic. Fair enough. But you are missing out on a whole other dimension of the instrument.

There is nothing like the SC 13E, period. It is an innovation. In a forum where Martin vs Taylor can result in a duel with pistols, I expect some pushback. But do give this one a try if you love to solo on the acoustic as I do. Strummers need not apply. Fingerstyle....it is a dream to play.
I agree with all of your comments, I did consider perhaps trading it for a D28, but at 68y old, I'm not sure I want to go back to another dreadnaught, and the proverbial" feels like a wardrobe under the arm"

A key point for the SC13e is it's very comfortable to play. I am primarily an electric guitar player these days, with that said the SC13e is ideal for people like me. It sounds great, I rarely plug it in.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:52 AM

I'm with the OP on this. My son was primarily getting session work or as the lead guitar in a group as an electric lead player, but he wanted to do solo stuff where he sang and played. It meant more money per gig and more gigs. He needed a better acoustic, however, than the one he'd had since high school and I got him the SC-13. We tried a bunch of guitars, some at twice the price, but that was the only one that moved him.

He's had it for about 6 months and he just loves it. I never thought I'd see him pick up an acoustic over an electric, but he routinely picks up the acoustic now. It goes everywhere with him. I pick it up when he visits, and I'm terrible, but the difference in ease of use between that guitar and any of mine is noticeable. I've toyed with the idea of getting one myself.

Really a great guitar. They've become available again, but for a while the only ones I could find were used.
Emerald X-20
Fender Tele Gatton model
Old 10-26-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
I liked mine and only moved it on as part of a no-brainer trade for my D18MD.

I've considered acquiring one again as a gigging guitar but the pickup is a deal breaker. If they upgraded that I'd have one back in a heartbeat. I appreciate I could replace it myself and if it comes to it I probably will just go down that road- there's nothing else out there that achieves the playability and versatility of this model, in my view.

That MXT is probably the cheapest PU that Martin can buy. It probably costs Martin around $10 and they probably charge the buyer $20, so don't feel bad about buying the guitar and pulling out the pickup. It didn't cost you much.

Get a PU that you really like and you'll have a great stage guitar, one of the best you can find.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

i'm a huge fan of the SC 13. the shape, the neck, ability to quickly and easily change shims for action adjustment, and the entire design that allows as you mentioned, literally living high up the neck. it allows one to comfortably explore the full neck. the offset body shape doesn't bother me at all, it actually enhances the balance of the guitar when i've played one.

it has to be the most "fun" acoustic i've played. when i have one in hand i can spend a lot of time immediately.

one of these days i really want one of these, i'm kinda waiting hoping they might offer something a little different, maybe even smaller in body size, like a 00. i think that would be an extremely fun guitar to own.

d
Old 10-27-2021, 03:23 AM

yeh same things here....

being able to double stops on G and D with vibrato

the balanced bass response

the richness of the tone

the weight

the responsiveness

the progressions that dont end at the 12 fret

A real gemyep

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion