The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 08:10 PM

Default NGD: Gibson J-45 Avant Garde WOW

First, thanks to all who helped me HERE last week, to clarify what I was chasing. It's what appears to be a shortly lived model from 2019, the J-45 Avant Garde. Walnut b&s, Baggs undersaddle PU.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Ac...arde-2019.aspx

I drove up the road a bit to meet seller who, as it turns out, I knew from a shared gig recently. I even risked asking "why are you selling" which elicited "Not crazy about the walnut and I have a 60's reissue J-45 [the real deal, not the Studio-type which the AG seems to be] and a J-200." OK, that makes sense. Price was right - they originally went for $2K street, his was new condition and after minimal haggling he agreed to $1500.

Looking to replace my workhorse Blueridge BR-160CE which I knew would sound better acoustically than the Gib due to full depth body of solid rosewood, so I didn't even bring it to calibrate my ears. (The BR has to go, a bit of belly lift compromising the highest notes and I just couldn't love it with all that dang BLING on the headstock). I was hoping for a balanced sound and, above all, a great feeling NECK. Boy did I get that! Perfect neck, easy playing and low action.

True, the walnut b&s along with the slightly slimmer body doesn't have the bass chunk of the BR or my Martin D-16 but oh man does it sound sweet and so amazingly BALANCED. Yeah, lotsa mids but they sing out, and I can't perceive any lack of bottom at all. I can't keep my hands off this ax. Not to mention the gorgeous soft sunburst, and the Baggs undersaddle which is much mellower than the Fishman on my BR. Gigged with it a couple days ago, nothin' but love.

Now I'm quite seriously thinking of going after its sister ax, the Parlor Rosewood - and as I type this I realize that as soon as I sell the Blueridge I'm gonna track one down. Because I'm TOTALLY IRRATIONAL WHEN IT COMES TO GUITARS BWAHAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA

Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-25-2021, 08:52 PM

I test drove one of those the day I bought my GPCPA4. It had a chime quality to the sound on the treble side of the neck that was absolutely mesmerizing. It was a tough decision that day. Congratulations on a really nice guitar.

John
Old 10-26-2021, 07:42 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=628252
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 AM

At first, I was on the fence about the Avant Garde series, but after playing most of them, I must say I was wrong.
I absolutely love the slimmer body. It makes them so comfortable to play and so much more responsive. Parlor, J-45 and Hummingbird AG are beast for fingerstyle stuff. They don't have the same bass response as their bigger siblings, but they seem to have a bump in the lower mids which makes them sound really warm and delicate in the top end.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:07 AM

I wonder how these compare to the recently discontinued J-15 which is also walnut B&S but was otherwise just like the standard J-45. My understanding was that the J-15 was selling just fine, but may have started cutting into the J45 sales as it was a little 'too good' at the price it was selling.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:15 AM

Oh man, very nice! Love the cutaway look on that, its a classic looking rocking guitar.
1998 Guild F4ce
2005 Guild D55
Old 10-26-2021, 09:51 AM

Looking at the specs- can you describe what Gibson is calling “advanced response” neck profile? Thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
First, thanks to all who helped me HERE last week, to clarify what I was chasing. It's what appears to be a shortly lived model from 2019, the J-45 Avant Garde. Walnut b&s, Baggs undersaddle PU.

I drove up the road a bit to meet seller who, as it turns out, I knew from a shared gig recently. I even risked asking "why are you selling" which elicited "Not crazy about the walnut and I have a 60's reissue J-45 [the real deal, not the Studio-type which the AG seems to be] and a J-200." OK, that makes sense. Price was right - they originally went for $2K street, his was new condition and after minimal haggling he agreed to $1500.

Looking to replace my workhorse Blueridge BR-160CE which I knew would sound better acoustically than the Gib due to full depth body of solid rosewood, so I didn't even bring it to calibrate my ears. (The BR has to go, a bit of belly lift compromising the highest notes and I just couldn't love it with all that dang BLING on the headstock). I was hoping for a balanced sound and, above all, a great feeling NECK. Boy did I get that! Perfect neck, easy playing and low action.

True, the walnut b&s along with the slightly slimmer body doesn't have the bass chunk of the BR or my Martin D-16 but oh man does it sound sweet and so amazingly BALANCED. Yeah, lotsa mids but they sing out, and I can't perceive any lack of bottom at all. I can't keep my hands off this ax. Not to mention the gorgeous soft sunburst, and the Baggs undersaddle which is much mellower than the Fishman on my BR. Gigged with it a couple days ago, nothin' but love.

Now I'm quite seriously thinking of going after its sister ax, the Parlor Rosewood - and as I type this I realize that as soon as I sell the Blueridge I'm gonna track one down. Because I'm TOTALLY IRRATIONAL WHEN IT COMES TO GUITARS BWAHAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA

Nothing wrong with that. I feel like every time I buy a new one , I end up with 1-2 others to go along with it. On the path to finally purchasing my D-18 I pretty much acquired all the other guitars in my stable that I admittedly don't really need. Fun times!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion