The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-24-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Once I Loved (A.C. Jobim)

All right! This tune's been on my "to do" list since 2012. I made an arrangement this week and holy cow was recording it an exercise in anger management. Took me 4 hours to get a decent take. I thought about smashing the thing on the floor a few times (should've thought about spending more time preparing )

Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 AM

I think it was worth your effort. I have to say my whole hesitation ever recording and posting anything, I don’t want to deal with what I know will ensue which is what you described. I decided to rather take the approach of just playing songs constantly and getting them performance ready and then maybe one day going back to recording them after they are so easy I can do it on my sleep. So far it’s been quite a long process I figure I would have to work on this another year or so to be at that point.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:54 PM

That's been my approach too for a long time.

My shortcoming with that approach is now I've been playing for 19 years and have very little in the way of "acceptable recordings" (stuff I'm happy with) so I've had to force myself into recording even if I feel I'm not ready. As you mentioned, it can become a battle of either fighting with the song for a good take, or accepting the mistakes and considering it done even when it feels like I could've done better.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Great job! And you're not alone in hiving trouble when you hit the record button. The last video I did took about four takes ... one the third day of trying to record. I was so depressed on the first two days, I was nearly ready to give up playing altogether. But in the end it's worth it and your effort proves it.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 08-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Great job! And you're not alone in hiving trouble when you hit the record button. The last video I did took about four takes ... one the third day of trying to record. I was so depressed on the first two days, I was nearly ready to give up playing altogether. But in the end it's worth it and your effort proves it.
Thank you -- good to hear I'm not the only one.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 PM

You’re playing a difficult tune & you played it well. I think it’s good to be passionate but just remember the reason we all love to make music is the joy it brings to everyone. I leave a lot of mistakes & fret noise in my videos because that is me – I make mistakes but I enjoy the music.

Keep posting.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Very nice job on this Rob! I enjoyed this!

When I spend more time than I expect recording a song, I just chalk it up to needed practice. Recording can be very rewarding and also very frustrating, but finding ways to deal with frustration can keep the overall experience fun, at least from my point of view.

The good thing about working through a recording project is that once I get a good recording down, I find that I am way better prepared to play this piece or song in front of others.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
brazilian, jazz guitar, jobim, solo guitar