The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Funny thoughts inspired from this post...

Taylors might be too nice to authentically translate that specific "blues" emotion needed for the genre.

Perhaps they are more fitted for worship - since people who like them tend to worship AndyP over all other builders. : )

How about the stock strings.....Elixir's. Now would a real bluesman save extra for Elixir's??? Heck no.

Last edited by waterlooz; 10-25-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: made error
Old 10-25-2021, 04:42 PM

For acoustic blues the choice of guitar is less important than the choice of hat.

You've got to have a nice hat.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:10 PM

You can play blues on any instrument you choose, even a Taylor like John Cephas did for years. I spent a lot of time with John and his partner Phil back in 80's doing workshops and people would ask about his Taylor. John said he really liked it and that he was sponsored by Taylor, I believe they made him a special signature edition. Before the Taylor, John played yamaha dreads.

I think the Taylor really worked well for John as the brightness and bell like harmonics worked well for both Piedmont style, as well as the higher pitched Skip James tunes he did so well. Plus, John had to be able to both sing and play with Phil who was blasting out loud intricate single note harmonica riffs at the same time and that bright loud taylor was able to cut through nicely.

For me, the Taylor I use to play blues is the 12 fret short scale 00 sized 322CE which has the hog top and tasmanian blackwood B&S. I think it is perfect for the blues I enjoy playing and has nice electronics for stage use. But the 322 is not your normal taylor sound or guitar, quite different really.

If you are not familiar with the unmistakable music of John Cephas and Phil Wiggins, then check out this video of with John playing his taylor for President Clinton. It is not your garden variety of Delta or Chicago style blues, but the roots are there in this clip as he plays a song from both of those genres in Piedmont style. Piedmont blues was about dancing and parties that went on for a weekend at a time. John had great stories about playing these parties where the music never stopped and players would just take a break and another would fill their seat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bd-u7vZoi0
Old 10-25-2021, 05:21 PM

Does this look like the face of a guy down on his luck who's woman done left him for another man who shot his hound dog down on the bayou at midnight for howling at the full moon?

Looks to me like he's more likely to get upset if you touch his 'action figure' collection and don't put them back in the same order.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 10-25-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Does this look like the face of a guy down on his luck who's woman done left him for another man who shot his hound dog down on the bayou at midnight for howling at the full moon?
Why do I feel so sad all of a sudden….Law dee mama, I’ve been mistreated, don’t mind dying, but don’t give me no vee bracing-blues.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:13 PM

I play acoustic blues on every guitar I own......

While the Waterloo ladder braced is probably the most authentic sound, my Taylor 717E has a nice growly tone....plus sensational playability....I play blues but don't want the guitar pain face. It also covers all styles from Jazz to blues to pop.

I imagine the new Taylor AD22e would be a good blues picker.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Looks to me like he's more likely to get upset if you touch his 'action figure' collection and don't put them back in the same order.
That man has a right to sing the blues. All those years puttering around with R & D and all he came up with was V-class bracing. [Runs for cover ]

Tony
Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Lawd, I'm pickin' on my Taylor, in my suburban living room.
I said I'm pickin' on my Taylor, in my suburban living room.
My woman up and left me, so I believe I'll dust my broom.

I'm not sure why that is. But there might be a kernel of an inkling somewhere in those lyrics.
"I woke up this afternoon....I saw both cars was gone (repeat)
I felt so low down deep inside...I threw my drink across the lawn"

~Cheers to Martin Mull
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-25-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Acoustic blues players? Are there really that many still around?
Joe, there a lot of great acoustic blues players still kicking. Toby Walker, Stefan Grossman, Steve James, Paul Asbell, Scott Ainslie, Eric Bibb, Keb ‘Mo, Woody Mann, Valerie Turner, Rory Block, Lost Jim Oldschmidt, etc.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:52 PM

I've owned Taylor guitars in the past, don't have any now but would certainly be happy to own them again in the future.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-27-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:20 PM

So 1) I took what Brucebubs in a lighthearted way, which I believe is what he intended, but 2) the larger point is that Taylor, and Powers, are savaged more on AGF in general than just about any other maker.

Also, 3) you won't ever get a chance to put my action figures (in my case original Transformers from the 80s) in the wrong order because I'll never let you touch them in the first place!

EDIT: also I'm going to Headstock in a couple of weeks where Mr. Powers is scheduled to perform. Hopefully he'll chat with some of the attendees. Many threads here have prepped to meet The Great Destroyer Of Classic Guitar Values. What will probably end up happening is I'll have a pleasant chat with an extremely nice guy who is passionate about building guitars.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-27-2021 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Deleted reference.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:39 AM

Oopsie!! I've played blues on a Taylor for years. Should I quit and get a Stella?
D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 10-26-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
For a lot of folks, blues is a costume-- and a Taylor just don't fit it...
"Real" blues players of yore played anything that they could get their hands on...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-26-2021, 08:59 AM

I mean, the jingle jangle that I associate with Taylor and modern voiced guitars just doesn't lend itself to the grit, simplicity, and fundamental that is synonymous with acoustic blues. Can you do it? Sure. But you might be better served with a Waterloo. Or any old ladder braced guitar. Or a Martin small body Mahogany guitar. Or a small bodied gibby... etc.

Keep in mind that half of being "authentic" is looking the part, and Gibson/Martin/Waterloo fit that bill if we are talking about new guitars. If you want to be a Worship leader or do some percussive top finger tapping bullsh*t, than Taylor is your jam.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 10-26-2021, 10:05 AM

Here's Honeyboy Edwards playing one, there's a documentary about him with clips of him playing it too. Blues can be played on any guitar, it's the player and playing that makes it authentic, not the guitar or recreating the "sound" of those old records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UV0JKEfVQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion