The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default New Apple 24" M1 iMac

As promised the new Apple iMac dropped today

in 7 colors

https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm very much liking the look of this for the 'main' Mac in the house.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'm very much liking the look of this for the 'main' Mac in the house.
Couldn't agree more! I need to look harder at this. My iMac is long past replacement time.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much KevWind for posting this.
I have a 21.5 Mac from 2008. Still works great...But I know its time is coming soon.
So the big question...is how will this one work hosting a Logic ProX?
Does this computer store more information? More speed?
Is there any reason not to get this computer for Music?
Old 04-20-2021, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Three things would make me hesitate...
The first is compatibility. While many people are not experiencing issues with the M1 computers that have already hit the market, their good fortune is not universal. Some software isn't playing nice and it's going to take some time for the software companies to get all the bugs sorted. I'd rather not deal with those headaches.

Second, the M2 is coming out next year ...more cores, more power. For those with an interest in video, the M2 is going to put smiles on a lot of faces. My own thinking on these things is that I want to future proof myself to some degree when I buy a new computer. Of course it will come down to weighing the power upgrade against the price it will cost (which is unknown right now), but I'd want to hold off until I could fairly weigh that option.

Lastly, the 24" screen is smaller than my current 27" iMac. I don't think I need a bigger screen but I know I don't want a smaller screen. It's likely a larger screen option is in the works and that would be more desirable to me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2021, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The first is compatibility. While many people are not experiencing issues with the M1 computers that have already hit the market, their good fortune is not universal. Some software isn't playing nice and it's going to take some time for the software companies to get all the bugs sorted. I'd rather not deal with those headaches.

Second, the M2 is coming out next year ...more cores, more power. For those with an interest in video, the M2 is going to put smiles on a lot of faces. My own thinking on these things is that I want to future proof myself to some degree when I buy a new computer. Of course it will come down to weighing the power upgrade against the price it will cost (which is unknown right now), but I'd want to hold off until I could fairly weigh that option.

Lastly, the 24" screen is smaller than my current 27" iMac. I don't think I need a bigger screen but I know I don't want a smaller screen. It's likely a larger screen option is in the works and that would be more desirable to me.
Hi jim

I agree there is 'more' to come (more powerful, and work-focused iMac).

I'm working these days on a 27" iMac too (deliberately chose it over the 21"). Hope they are not forcing us back to a single option in this category.

I'm a photographer, and the extra screen real estate is valuable.

Right now I'm inclined to wait and see what else they develop as they replace the stock line with the new M-lineup.

My 6 yr old laptop is becoming long in the tooth, and I hope they do feed us a next-series pro laptop with a larger screen (16" instead of 13") with more 'nits' of screen brightness.

It's a fun day when they show off new toys…I'll dream expensive dreams for a day or two!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2021, 03:50 AM

I recently purchased a new Mac Mini with new M1 chip. Very impressive so far. Going to start recording some guitar this upcoming weekend.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks so much KevWind for posting this.
I have a 21.5 Mac from 2008. Still works great...But I know its time is coming soon.
So the big question...is how will this one work hosting a Logic ProX?
Does this computer store more information? More speed?
Store more ? No One TB of data is still 1 TB of data .. More speed ? yes,, and what the Apple silicon ( M series chips ) do based on the performance tests so far (including Logic Pro there are a number of YouTube Reviews on this ) is M1 utilizes the storage and especially RAM memory much more efficiently and at higher speeds

The other thing the M chips bring to table over At least the newest generation of Intel chips (especially gen 10 like I have in my 2020 iMac ) is a drastic reduction in processing temperature and resulting fan noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post

I agree particularly Pro Tools I am guessing is not likely going to be supported on M1 until summer if not fall at the earliest. Also the there is the rumored M1-X iteration that could be introduced later this summer backing M2 out until some time in 2022

The rumor is the 24 " is simply the replacement for the 21" being not that much bigger in footprint and that there will be a larger screen coming but not until the M1-X or M2 is ready for production . The predictions for that screen have been all over the map like -28" -- 30" --- or 32"

The other issue for the current M1 offerings is it only supports one additional display where as the intel chips support multi additional
Not such a big deal for the new iMac given you can run the iMac and 1 additional (like I currently do ) but some Macbook users have found it lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jim

I agree there is 'more' to come (more powerful, and work-focused iMac).

I'm working these days on a 27" iMac too (deliberately chose it over the 21"). Hope they are not forcing us back to a single option in this category.

I'm a photographer, and the extra screen real estate is valuable.

Right now I'm inclined to wait and see what else they develop as they replace the stock line with the new M-lineup.

My 6 yr old laptop is becoming long in the tooth, and I hope they do feed us a next-series pro laptop with a larger screen (16" instead of 13") with more 'nits' of screen brightness.

It's a fun day when they show off new toys…I'll dream expensive dreams for a day or two!!
I happen to be looking at the current Macbook Air with the M1 but I only use it for internet duties and not recording music

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-21-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I happen to be looking at the current Macbook Air with the M1 but I only use it for internet duties and not recording music
Hi KW…
Recording audio/music is more dependent on the digital interface being used, and is actually lighter on the computer processors than video or photo editing.

My current laptop (MacBook Pro 6 yrs old - nearly 7 yrs), weighs double what the new ones weigh, and creeps when even I'm editing in PhotoShop. That deteriorates to operating like wading waist deep in maple syrup when editing 4K video.

My question is how fast will a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro become a door-stop?

I'm just hoping that Apple bumps the speed and other limits in the next year to an M2 chip and bumps the screen up to 16". My eyes are nearly 73 yrs old, and working on detailed editing benefits from larger screen-realestate.

I'd sure not be afraid to use the current M1 version of an M1 MacBook Pro for recording audio, and high end editing of video or photos. I'd be sure to have it configured in the 16GB version.

Just trying to out-guess the current trends of more powerful the software development will outrun current hardware. Software tendency is to add more capability with more powerful machines.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi KW…
Recording audio/music is more dependent on the digital interface being used, and is actually lighter on the computer processors than video or photo editing.

My current laptop (MacBook Pro 6 yrs old - nearly 7 yrs), weighs double what the new ones weigh, and creeps when even I'm editing in PhotoShop. That deteriorates to operating like wading waist deep in maple syrup when editing 4K video.

My question is how fast will a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro become a door-stop?

I'm just hoping that Apple bumps the speed and other limits in the next year to an M2 chip and bumps the screen up to 16". My eyes are nearly 73 yrs old, and working on detailed editing benefits from larger screen
realestate.

I'd sure not be afraid to use the current M1 version of an M1 MacBook Pro for recording audio, and high end editing of video or photos. I'd be sure to have it configured in the 16GB version.

Just trying to out-guess the current trends of more powerful the software development will outrun current hardware. Software tendency is to add more capability with more powerful machines.
Yes thanks but I already understood the difference in computational requirements between photo, video, and audio. But I am not sure how that relates to my reply to you about what my use for a laptop would be for which the current model Air is more than needed ? Actually I just put a new battery and a 1 TB SSD in my current 2013 Macbook Air and since it will run Big Sur should be fine for some time yet.

At 71 years , I completely understand the desire for more screen real estate and why I have two 27" displays for my audio and video projects .
Interestingly enough the two displays actually have more functional use in audio than video ..

Boy outguessing the future of electronics, is like swimming up stream in rapids

I would completely encourage anybody not in dire need to wait.

Some Mac prediction types are even suggesting that probably M-1-X and especially M2 will have more cores and memory

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-21-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes thanks but I already understood the difference in computational requirements between photo, video, and audio.
Hey fellow-Wyoming-ite

Nice chatting with someone who understands tech and has some history with Apple/Mac.

I'm going to go build some beef stew to simmer on the stove for dinner.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 04-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey fellow-Wyoming-ite

Nice chatting with someone who understands tech and has some history with Apple/Mac.

I'm going to go build some beef stew to simmer on the stove for dinner.
Yes I always enjoy your posts. Yep I started with a G 4 17 "PowerBook and thought I was cutting edge ... But honestly sometimes I find my self knowing just enough tech to be dangerous

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-21-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Store more ? No One TB of data is still 1 TB of data .. More speed ? yes,, and what the Apple silicon ( M series chips ) do based on the performance tests so far (including Logic Pro there are a number of YouTube Reviews on this ) is M1 utilizes the storage and especially RAM memory much more efficiently and at higher speeds
Unfortunately my knowledge of computers, Electronics are extremely low. While I have Logic Prox and quality microphones.. I have not played around with it much as of yet.
I have been spending most of my time writing-composing-perfecting my songs. And also Awaiting two new pieces of gear( a 4 month back ordered John Hardy 3 position preamp, and a new Buzz audio stereo compressor). When They arrive then I will get to work and get serious about recording. I am one of those persons who likes to have all of his ducks in a row.
So what does More speed, and utilizing the storage and ram memory more efficiently at higher speeds= mean in the real world of computer recording? Does it mean that the recording will have more information? The recordings will capture better?- more accurately? the information supplied to them by the microphones and preamps? Or Does this just mean faster loading times for the software? Or?
I Apologize for what probably seems like simpleton question. But having little time in the modern world of recording these are terms of which of yet I am to understand.
Your replies to my questions will be of great value as they will help me to understand if I need a new computer for better recordings. I have been told by many, that computers only have a certain shelf life before they no longer work with the updates of the advancing internet. So buying a new computer (since mine is 12 years old) is an eventuality.
However if I find through your answers that a new computer will yield me higher quality recordings immediately, then I shall consider a new computer sooner, if not immediately.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
[INDENT]
So what does More speed, and utilizing the storage and ram memory more efficiently at higher speeds= mean in the real world of computer recording? Does it mean that the recording will have more information? The recordings will capture better?- more accurately? the information supplied to them by the microphones and preamps? Or Does this just mean faster loading times for the software? Or?
However if I find through your answers that a new computer will yield me higher quality recordings immediately, then I shall consider a new computer sooner, if not immediately.

The short answer is NO a new computer will not improve the sound quality of your recordings.

Also NO not more information about the sound (per se)

The amount info or data or information in computer recording, is a matter of "bit depth" and "sample rate" not computer speed specks ( for example 16 bit 44,1 kHz samples,,,, or 24 bit 48 kHz sample ) where more numbers in the "samples" rate means more information. So a 3:00 min recording at 48 kHz will have more data, than the same recording at 44.1
Because "Samples " means exactly that,,,, how many individual samples (in thousands) per second are taken out of the continuous sound wave ? So sample rate of "44.1 kHz" is 44,100 samples, is the amount if musical information samples extracted in a 1 second long section of a musical sound wave, and 48 kHz is going to be 48,000 samples out of that same 1 second sound wave.

SO :::::

The new and improved in the bold is only going to effect primarily logistics of the time involved the work flow not audio quality . ( i.e M1 users are reporting slightly faster computer start up (boot time) and slightly faster launch times for applications ( Logic might open quicker )

And while there could be also be more capability to handle record and playback lager sessions and more virtual instruments -50- 100 + track counts ,,,, for most of us that is not an issue.

Now one area where this new chip tech really shies (as Larry correctly mentioned ) is in video rendering times. M1 bench testing on many different (not all but most ) Video rendering times, is pretty impressive, like sometimes up to 1/2 the time,,, so a process that took 10 min on an intel chip, may now take only 5 or 6 on an M1

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-21-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM

Speaking now only of audio recording/composing/editing. As general use computers there's a lot of promise in the expanding Apple Silicon line, but as of now still a lot of possible gotchas for audio work.

I currently use Apple Logic Pro X, that software works well with Apple Silicon from reports. Most of my plugins would still be risky though, and they are just as important at the DAW. When I recorded multiple instruments live in my studio space I used Pro Tools, also not yet ready for Apple Silicon.

Another annoying thing is the small number of expansion ports on the original M1 Macs. Sounds like things are getting slightly better with some of the newer models. The Mac Mini sitting next to me looks like a meatball in a plate of spaghetti: Two USB hubs, Two monitors driven off USB C/Thunderbolt (This Mini model's HDMI port didn't work with any of my monitors well at all). An external drive for my VI libraries and another for Time Machine. An I-lock dongle, two MIDI keyboards, a MIDI wireless for the Fishman Triple Play. Computer keyboard. Mouse (I've never cared for the occassional isssues of bluetooth and my Mac Mini model is especially finicky with BT.) My audio interface. Ethernet.

Not everyone doing audio has all those needs. Folks just doing audio recording with minimal plugins (and Logic Pro X has enough included plugins to get anyone started, even if as you progress you'll likely be attracted to additional 3rd party plugins). But for me, I'll still just need to wait a bit. And I have no current issue to be addressed, my current two systems (studio space and home office "Studio B") work fine right now. In audio production "working fine right now" can't be overvalued!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD