The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-14-2021, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I'm loving the shape of Greybeard as well--beautiful flowing lines.

And that blackwood and redwood both look incredible--I'm predicting amazing tone from this guitar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I know Nemoman to be a man with impeccable tastes in guitars and friends and I concur 100%.
Thanks Tom and Nemoman.

There will be a bog oak greybeard at BIG this year.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Tom and Nemoman.

There will be a bog oak greybeard at BIG this year.

That is awesome John, I looked for some Bog oak myself and never found any that I really loved or could afford, I will be very anxious to try that one out!!!
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is awesome John, I looked for some Bog oak myself and never found any that I really loved or could afford, I will be very anxious to try that one out!!!
Ditto this--can't wait to try that out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Here is the set of Honduran Mahogany laminated linings for the backside (haha). In the first pic you can see a cutout or a notch on the lining itself, this is meant to fit around the Maple sound port veneer. The second pic is post-gluing and shows the good fit.

Check out this fancy little guy! The ABW scored a piece of middle reinforcement of Lucky Strike Redwood. Thanks to some leftovers from the generous sized top.

The horizontal braces are of course Adirondack, a John Kinnaird standard, and it has not been carved yet.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Smile Progress

Now that John has returned from his camping trip to the Virginia Highlands we may get some more progress posts on his current builds!

Since John is not currently building me my next yet, I will continue to live vicariously... hahaha. Meanwhile enjoying the heck out of my three most recent JK Customs!!!

This one looks SWEET INDEED. I like the LS Redwood back strip!

That rosette is NICE too.

Have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 05-01-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Now that John has returned from his camping trip to the Virginia Highlands we may get some more progress posts on his current builds!

Since John is not currently building me my next yet, I will continue to live vicariously... hahaha

This one looks SWEET INDEED. I like the LS Redwood back strip!

That rosette is NICE too.

Have FUN

Paul
Gosh don't remind me Paul I feel so bad everytime John goes on vacation and I'm like blowing up his phone....
Old 04-30-2021, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Back braces carved. Color combi looks real good on the inside!

The linings for the backside have been installed, and you can see the angled carbon fiber struts here from neck-block to the waist. These struts, as I understand, are part of the support system to free up more of the top to join in the merry-music-making as the cantilevered fingerboard does not touch the soundboard at all. The sockets holding the struts are in a block crossed by a brace which is notched into the laminated linings.

Note the support for the rib bevel, arm bevel and also the cutaway finger bevel. Obviously Paul’s influence is strong here (not full Pablo though), and John really likes ‘em bevels too.

The rim is almost complete, some cleanup and the back is ready to go on.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:36 PM

"Pardon me, have you any Grey(beard) Poupon?" Better ask John. He might have some. Congrats Hanter! This guitar has a LOT going for it. Oh my!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
"Pardon me, have you any Grey(beard) Poupon?" Better ask John. He might have some. Congrats Hanter! This guitar has a LOT going for it. Oh my!
Thank you Jobe! I hope the sum of its parts produce the desired results.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default John Kinnaird 2021 NEW Model Build Thread: Lucky Strike x African Blackwood

The back goes on.

Could pass off as some delicious Oreo-looking crumbs in there. Other than that, workmanship looking rather neat and clean John!

Time to also share a shot taken from the balcony of the Kinnaird house when I visited.

The almost 1 mile long and one-way path is what you need to endeavor in order to get to his abode. It sits right on top of a hill and his backyard is apparently home to foxes, coyotes, deer, I-can’t-remember-what-else and Bears! They turn up quite frequently John mentioned.

For the fingerboard, both of us agreed that it should be a darkish colored one. Thought about using African Blackwood as well but we took it a step further - so that medullary rays would continue being a feature on the facade of the guitar, and ended up with some perfectly quartersawn Ancient Fenland Black Oak.

Not able to capture fully the cross-grain silking and the jet-black color of this piece of wood, but was assured that it was very much so!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good grief there is my driveway. Bane of my existence. Too much time is spent on a tractor maintaining that stretch of road.

On a more positive note I really like to see the insides of a guitar without the top.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Such a pretty place! Looks like you have some Eastern White Pine and (now sadly rare) Eastern Hemlock to provide color in the winter. Any rhodies or mountain laurel? I love those.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Such a pretty place! Looks like you have some Eastern White Pine and (now sadly rare) Eastern Hemlock to provide color in the winter. Any rhodies or mountain laurel? I love those.
I have an eastern Hemlock that I have successfully protected from the wooly adelgid. It’s doing very nicely. We also have chestnuts that occasionally mature enough to produce a few nuts before the canker gets them.

Three kinds of rhododendrons, plenty of mountain laurels, Virginia pine which is my favorite, yellow wood, etc etc.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Wow, how fortunate you are! Chestnuts, Laurel, Rhodies! Congrats on protecting the hemlock. When I was a little kid, I remember the last of the chestnuts disappearing from the town I grew up in. Big old trees that hung on as stumps with sprouts for a long while. Amazing that you actually get some nuts from yours. Is “yellow wood” Locust, the one they use for fence posts? That’s the only yellow wood I know in that area.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Wow, how fortunate you are! Chestnuts, Laurel, Rhodies! Congrats on protecting the hemlock. When I was a little kid, I remember the last of the chestnuts disappearing from the town I grew up in. Big old trees that hung on as stumps with sprouts for a long while. Amazing that you actually get some nuts from yours. Is “yellow wood” Locust, the one they use for fence posts? That’s the only yellow wood I know in that area.
Yellow wood is cladrastis kentuckea. (Poor spelling). Not the same as locust. Both very heavy wood. The wood of yellow wood is, as you might suspect, very bright yellow. (Hijacking Han’s thread I am)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop