The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Pretty sure one or more of the companies on the list in the link have a darkroom:

https://www.slrlounge.com/list-mail-...veloping-labs/
Thanks for the list, I didn't find anyone that says they print directly from negatives. Everybody develops film and produces digital files but no prints from negatives that I see.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Thanks for the list, I didn't find anyone that says they print directly from negatives. Everybody develops film and produces digital files but no prints from negatives that I see.
https://www.photoworkssf.com/service...services/print

"Prints can be made directly from a negative as a digital c-print at any size between 2.5x3.5 (wallet) and 12x18. If you want a larger print we would need to create a custom scan and then print on our Inkjet printers. Prints made at the time of processing your film cost less than prints made after the fact, there is a different workflow for prints made at a different time which increases your cost. Prints made directly from film only come in a lustre (semi-gloss) or glossy finish, if you want a true matte finish we would again need to scan the negative and then print from the digital file on our Fine Art paper. We do not offer darkroom printing."
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Rob! I'm starting a big family photo printing project and just could not find anyone that printed from negs.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Just curious why the desire to print directly from film or negative. The drum scans done by quality shops are incredible. What's the advantage? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Dirk, I do have an Epson V600 scanner that provides great results. I have a few 35/120 negs that are super and I believe skipping the intermediate step of scanning will provide a better print.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dirk, I do have an Epson V600 scanner that provides great results. I have a few 35/120 negs that are super and I believe skipping the intermediate step of scanning will provide a better print.
OK, thanks!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Just curious why the desire to print directly from film or negative. The drum scans done by quality shops are incredible. What's the advantage? Thanks!
Even if you don't do that, a slide/negative scanner will do much better than SOHO grade flatbed scanners and make the work easier. I don't think as many make them these days nor do I think Nikon has updated theirs for years but they are good products.

I'll thank this post as another reminder of a tedious chore I need to finish. Some years ago I started scanning slides and negatives that go back to the early 1950s.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:36 AM

Following up from an earlier post, the newer GoPro is a keeper. I suggest the COSTCO bundle for Hero 7 Black clearly a closeout deal based on the 8 and Max out now.

No, you can't compare it to a higher level mirrorless or SLR camera but they do shoot RAW now in addition to the obvious video features. You have a fair alternative for an underwater for snorkeling camera that does a whole lot more. If you don't own a dashcam you get one of those.

If we replaced the Olympus TG we had with current version that would indeed be an upgrade but here you get a camcorder and camera packaged as just plain fun and easy.

I do need to revisit the remote control app after Apple's 13.2 mobile release because using all the features of the GoPro remote app did stop a sophisticated sports app I use.

That COSTCO bundle is basically closeout discount and good start on accessories in the same box. I already had a chest mount and suggest those for good effect. A chest mount for example will capture your handlebars or skis and that sends a lot to the viewing brain.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 AM

I've been trying to find a local studio that can take pics of a couple of my guitars and turn them into wall posters. Ever since Sears closed their family friendly portrait shops there seems to only be high end studio$$.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-11-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I've been trying to find a local studio that can take pics of a couple of my guitars and turn them into wall posters. Ever since Sears closed their family friendly portrait shops there seems to only be high end studio$$.
I'm not sure where you are but plenty exist in upper Midwest USA where I'm at. You probably need to do some online or craigslist searches. Ad and marketing agencies will know where to go. Where I work the marketing department still has a few vendors who do the shots that become large posters, signs and at times billboards.

It might not be the bargain Sears was. These are businesses that are after a living wage, paying for expensive gear, and paying for the real estate. We pay more than ever or at times take a risk with someone in the gig economy.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
That's the kind of job I'd like to have got! Studio work is immense fun having done a bit in college
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Everybody's a photographer these days. Craigslist is full of them, and careful consideration in that realm will find you someone that is quite good and easy on the wallet.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Everybody's a photographer these days. Craigslist is full of them, and careful consideration in that realm will find you someone that is quite good and easy on the wallet.
There's an old saying: If you buy a camera, you're a photographer. If you buy a violin, you own a violin.

The caveat here is another old saying: You get what you pay for.

People who are cheap often aren't good, and those who are good are not cheap. The type of photos being discussed here take not only an understanding of proper lighting techniques, but also the equipment to make these photographs; lights, backdrops, etc. Oh and there's probably going to be a studio involved if all of the lighting stuff is done correctly. And, lastly, let's not forget that there's the value which is placed on the experience required and obtained over time. And, after the shoot, there's the editing involved, and that has its own required level of technical expertise and experience.

If I was going to have someone do this (and I have to admit, I like the idea), I would want the photographer to treat it as a portrait shoot. For a simple portrait session I charge my clients $135 an hour, with a two hour minimum (you'd be shocked how quickly time flies during a photo shoot).

The idea sounds cool enough that I wouldn't cut corners...
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

People who are cheap often aren't good, and those who are good are not cheap

A good rule of thumb, but all you need is one person that is good and cheap and I wouldn't anticipate any problem finding one on Denver Craigslist, though I don't know where the OP lives.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
People who are cheap often aren't good, and those who are good are not cheap

A good rule of thumb, but all you need is one person that is good and cheap and I wouldn't anticipate any problem finding one on Denver Craigslist, though I don't know where the OP lives.
Unfortunately, "good" can often be the result of one lucky shot.

When I was 14 years old I was on a Boy Scout camping trip in Cimarron, New Mexico. One day, at sunset, I took a photo of the sun going down behind a mountain peak. I wish I still had that photo today, because it was epic.

Anyone looking at that photograph would say "Wow, this guy's good!" when, in fact, I was not. I think I'd owned my camera for about four months. I wasn't "good" at all. But I was lucky, and produced a National Geographic level shot. Had I been doing photography for money back then, I've no doubt I could've landed multiple clients with that one photo.

People in any trade who charge far less than they should don't value themselves...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic