The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-14-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So then< how do you Back up your External drives? In case something goes wrong with the drive? That was the whole point of having back up drives...to protect the information on your internal drive? Hmmm? Maybe the answer for me is to record on the internal....and also assign to a back up drive?....
Or should I have a back up drive for my external drive?
Best way would be to get some kind of RAID set-up where you write to multiple drives at once. If done right, single drive failure never causes data loss because the same data exists on at least one other drive.
Personally I'd use a software RAID set-up, i.e. use ZFS (a mature implementation of which exists for Mac, though I haven't checked if they already support ARM-based Macs).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-14-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Just to add to what Jim said and to clarify a bit further as far as on board storage I agree I would go for the 1TB

What Jim is talking about is recording to an external Drive which stores the audio on the external drive (which is viable)
What you are talking about is recording to your boot drive (mac HD) which stores the audio on you boot drive and then moving the finished songs or group/album from the boot drive to an external drive (which is also viable ). And is what I do with my video files..... I do however leave my audio productions on my boot drive

So in order to get an idea of how much storage your songs will use,
is very simple (if your songs are in their own folders ?) ---Right click on the folder for your song and choose "Get Info" it will tell you how much in either megabytes or gigabytes for bigger productions they are, then just calculate times the number of of songs you think you will likely produce in say a year.
OR if all your songs are currently stored on your boot drive ( Macintosh HD). just right click it and "Get Info" and that will give the total drive space you are currently using--- Apps and music files ,,,

For example I keep all my protools session folders in a single parent folder on my desk top labeled "Kev's PT sessions" the entire folder of aprox. 100 songs with audio files plus 9 session templates (no audio files ) is about 45.5 GB total

Most likely (depending on the number of applications you have on your boot drive) they will take up any where from 200 to 300 GB for just them

So taking the higher figure to be safe of 300 . On a 1 TB drive minus 300 GB leaves aprox 700 GB of file storage.. So take that 700 GB divided by the 45.5 GB my 100 songs take up as an example ,,,, equals 15.38. so that means I could likely store 1,538 songs on a 1 TB drive before using it up.

But be aware video files are an entirely different situation
On my boot drive currently I have about 9 video files of about 3:00 minute length, mostly in 4K and they take up 338.75 GB So I will be moving them soon

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Much will depend on the sample rate and bit depth of the recorded tracks. Per minute storage for a stereo track at 44.1k and 24 bit, say at 10 Mb, doubles at a sample rate of 96k and doubles again at 192k to 40 Mb. Increasing the bit rate from 24 bit to 32 bit increases a file's size by 33%.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I realize I got a bit wordy so to summery

#1 Yes you will able to store a pretty big number of music files on a 1 TB internal drive (as noted depending how many tracks what length, and what bit and sample rate).

#2 there are several ways to store songs/ albums to an external drive

One is what Jim is talking about , done while recording where the audio files for the song are recorded directly to an external drive not stored on the boot drive/internal drive. But that does not make a back up so you would indeed have to have a second external drive to which you could then move a copy of the finished song to ----for a back up That requires one external to be connected all the time to record to, and the second one that can be connected at the same time, but only when you are going to move a copy to it

Another method is what RJBV is talking about RAID where you have multiple external drives connected all the time and record to say two external drives at the same time which would (while recording) give you a back up copy and not require you moving it later

Another method (the one I use) is having multiple external drives But not using RAID. Where I record to my internal boot drive (which gives me one copy) and then when finished I connect the external and move a copy to it, which give me the second copy.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-14-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So then< how do you Back up your External drives? In case something goes wrong with the drive? That was the whole point of having back up drives...to protect the information on your internal drive? Hmmm? Maybe the answer for me is to record on the internal....and also assign to a back up drive?....
Or should I have a back up drive for my external drive?
I use an 8TB backup drive. With the Mac's Time Machine software, it's basically a "set it and forget it" situation.
The drive I use is this one. There are others out there though that might cost less.

The raid array Kev and RJVB are describing is called a Raid 1 array. In that setup, you have two drives (equal size would be best) and they're set up so that the same data is written on both drives. That way if one drive fails, the data is still available on the mirrored drive. The one drawback is the expense of that setup. A 1TB ssd drive will cost you right around what a 4TB backup drive would cost. And for a little more (and still well under $200), you can get an 8TB backup drive.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 06-14-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:01 PM

A few answers from my side of K&G's latest questions:

The DAWS I use to record (ProTools and Logic X) make it easy to move sessions to another drive. ProTools creates a folder with a subfolder containing the audio files. Logic Pro seems even more idiot-proof. The session is just one big file containing the whole thing.

I periodically move my old sessions off the working drive and store them elsewhere.

RAID is instant in the sense that the duplicate is made as the file is written. Great for pros or businesses where any data loss could have external, objective consequences. But expensive. Time Machine is a cheaper way to get a "I won't look more than a few hours work if a drive fails" solution. You can use a slower but bigger and cheaper mechanical hard drive for Time Machine with little practical penalty in my experience.

You mentioned orchestral VIs. I did a one-year sub to East/West stuff when they offered a sale this spring. Their current "Hollywood Opus Edition" orchestral stuff is huge. I use a 1 TB SSD for my VI sample libraries and with what I had already it would far exhaust that. Hollywood Orchestra is nearly a TB of content just by itself.

Now of course that sort of VI sample library storage need isn't a factor for almost any people here on the AGF. And my 1 TB external drive had a lot of VI sample libraries on it that kept me going for a couple of years. But if you are really looking for high-quality full orchestra (not just a string quartet ala "Yesterday" or small group like Nick Drake's records) just know that you'll need to store the sample libraries. If you know exactly what orchestral instruments you'll be using you can get by with less, but I compose based on a "now what should I add next" walkabout a far amount of the time. External storage is cheaper than Apple's internal, and the Mac Studio has lots of ports to hook up external drives -- a good thing, my 2018 Mac Mini looks like a junk drawer will all the stuff hanging off it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-15-2022, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah...the one that I always forget...Tax...Los Angeles it is 9.5%.
About a $250 dollar difference for Mac Studio MI Max.

And I was just up in Oregon a week an half ago. Where there is no sales tax. But the reality was I was Flying and driving....would not have worked anyway.

WAIT! I have a friend in Oregon who is coming down to meet me in just 7 weeks! Hmmm for $250 that might be worth waiting for.

I will have to call my local Apple store...and see if I purchase it in Oregon...if they will still transfer all the data for me from my old computer to the new down here.
It doesn't matter if you purchase out of state in person, you still owe Ca. State Use Tax, payable on your next Ca. tax return if you don't do quarterly filings with the CDTFA for your sales tax. For instance, I just bought a $5000 lens from a retailer in the UK and had to pay $50 in import duties and I'll have to declare that on my next sales tax return and pay the $500 or so dollars Use Tax on that.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 06-15-2022, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
It doesn't matter if you purchase out of state in person, you still owe Ca. State Use Tax, payable on your next Ca. tax return if you don't do quarterly filings with the CDTFA for your sales tax. For instance, I just bought a $5000 lens from a retailer in the UK and had to pay $50 in import duties and I'll have to declare that on my next sales tax return and pay the $500 or so dollars Use Tax on that.
I have already decided not to wait, and will be purchasing my Mac Studio from a local Mac store next week. So they will collect the sales Tax.

I do find it interesting though, that one has to pay a USE tax from something purchased outside the country. I guess the logic is that it will be used in California.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have already decided not to wait, and will be purchasing my Mac Studio from a local Mac store next week. So they will collect the sales Tax.

I do find it interesting though, that one has to pay a USE tax from something purchased outside the country. I guess the logic is that it will be used in California.
Will be looking forward to your thoughts and your journey with start up etc. I don't remember do you use Logic or PT or other ?

You will no doubt get Monterey
Looks like initial (and brief, simple, launched and played ) beta trials, of OS Ventura are going OK so far

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...%20-%208379196

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-15-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good move.

Here's a link to some testing done on a beta version of Mac OS Ventura involving, Pro Tools, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Logic. All appear to run without issue under the forthcoming new OS.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...%20-%208379196

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD