The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-24-2022, 07:16 PM

Default NTX1 Preferred Strings

I'm curious. Anyone else play an NTX1? If so what are your preferred strings? I'm using Savarez Corum extra hard tension (or something like that). I really like the unwound strings, but am not wild about the wound strings (they sound kind of metallic for lack of a better term). Would be interested in finding some more mellow wound strings. So,,,,,,,,,,any suggestions.

Thanks!

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 06-25-2022, 02:42 PM

Corums are bass strings, and I think they sometimes sound a little metallic, too. You might try the treble strings you have and like with something like Augustine Red or Blue ( the latter are higher tension) basses, just as a start.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Corums are bass strings, and I think they sometimes sound a little metallic, too. You might try the treble strings you have and like with something like Augustine Red or Blue ( the latter are higher tension) basses, just as a start.
Thanks. I'll give them a try.

Guitars:
Old 06-27-2022, 11:24 AM

You're welcome, and let us know how they work out, if time permits.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:07 PM

I just installed Savarez Cantiga Premium 510 MRJP with hard-tension basses and normal-tension trebles (3rd is carbon [Alliance] while 2nd and 1st are nylon [New Cristal]) on my Yamaha NCX1.

The result is a brighter tone with punchier bass. The carbon third eliminates the tubbiness of the 3rd string.

My preference for hard-tension basses is because I plan to use alternate tunings. The basses will therefore be down-tuned.

If you would prefer normal-tension across all the strings, get Savarez Cantiga Premium 510 MRP. I use these on my flamenco guitars since they're always in standard tuning.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:01 PM

Well, I finally got around to installing the Augustine bass strings (4,5,& 6). I went for the hard tension because the trebles were hard tension and also because I tend to be a bit heavy handed at times. Granted they need to settle in a bit, but my initial impression is good. The metallic sound of the Savarez is gone. I do like the flourocarbon Savarez trebles so for now I'll play the mixed set. I actually like the NTX1 now. Wasn't too keen on it before. I think it's in for more play time now........

Guitars:
Old 07-16-2022, 01:28 PM

Sounds good! The Augustine basses will get a little warmer still, with a bit of time on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical