The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-25-2020, 09:48 PM

Default Action too high on saddle end

So. I have a Goya 316 that was gifted to me. Love how it sounds and action wise, it is perfect down near the nut, but near the saddle/bout, it becomes too high. I know from erlewines book(s) that optimal action is a bit of a synergistic thing, a function of the string height at the nut, saddle height, truss rod adjustment, etc. My question is this. How to make the action I have at the nut apply the length of the fretboard? Is the too high action at the saddle end an indicator of the saddle being too high? Neck relief? Any advice gratefully welcome. Thanks y'all. Tr
Old 06-26-2020, 01:19 AM

Always a good idea to check neck relief and adjust to taste. If after adjusting, the saddle is still so high h that the action is too high for you, then you'll need to remove it (a pair of pliers usually works fine) and sand it down a bit at a time, checking after each sanding if you've hit your sweet spot. If you're not confident to do this any decent guitar tech will do it for you.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoctavist View Post
So. I have a Goya 316 that was gifted to me. Love how it sounds and action wise, it is perfect down near the nut, but near the saddle/bout, it becomes too high. I know from erlewines book(s) that optimal action is a bit of a synergistic thing, a function of the string height at the nut, saddle height, truss rod adjustment, etc. My question is this. How to make the action I have at the nut apply the length of the fretboard? Is the too high action at the saddle end an indicator of the saddle being too high? Neck relief? Any advice gratefully welcome. Thanks y'all. Tr
You can NOT have the action at the first fret be the same all the way to the saddle. It can't work.

Take the saddle out, and shave (from the bottom) 1/16" off, put it back in and see how that feels, and how it sounds.

Make sure, first and foremost, that there is not too much relief in the neck. Hopefully the truss rod still is functioning, but you only take out the relief/bow to the point where it's close to straight. NO MORE.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
You can NOT have the action at the first fret be the same all the way to the saddle. It can't work.

Take the saddle out, and shave (from the bottom) 1/16" off, put it back in and see how that feels, and how it sounds.

Make sure, first and foremost, that there is not too much relief in the neck. Hopefully the truss rod still is functioning, but you only take out the relief/bow to the point where it's close to straight. NO MORE.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Great post!

Also, lowering the saddle will lower the action everywhere along the neck - though the effect is less and less the closer you get to the nut. It'll be minor at the first fret, but there'll still be a change...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair