The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2024, 09:41 AM

Default Something is wrong with me

I know no one on here can fix me. I'm simply posting to get this off my chest.
63 and I've been self teaching from YouTube for about two years now because I can't afford lessons. Long story short, I suck. Can't play anything without making mistakes. I punch the record button on my phone and everything goes to sh_ _. Can't play if anyone is watching me for sh _ _ either. Every once in a blue moon when it's just me and the dogs I will get something that sounds kinda good. I'm starting to think there's just no hope for me. I enjoy making noises with my guitar, but if I want to play, well, I still can't play a single song all the way through.
Doomed to sell out. I guess that will finally make my wife happy.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
63 and I've been self teaching from YouTube for about two years now because I can't afford lessons. Long story short, I suck. Can't play anything without making mistakes. I punch the record button on my phone and everything goes to sh_ _. Can't play if anyone is watching me for sh _ _ either. Every once in a blue moon when it's just me and the dogs I will get something that sounds kinda good. I'm starting to think there's just no hope for me. I enjoy making noises with my guitar, but if I want to play, well, I still can't play a single song all the way through.
Two years?

I've been playing for 40 years and I make mistakes, get nervous playing in front of others, and struggle to get a good recording done.

I see it as being about the journey rather than the destination. You said "I enjoy making noises with my guitar"; can't that be enough?
Old 02-21-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I resemble your complaints! You are not alone, but…I do feel progress going forward. It really, really helps to follow an organized process of learning that builds on good fundamentals. Learning from scattered YouTube videos doesn’t do that well at all and is probably a cause of many a failure to ignite the guitar journey.

If cost is an issue, go to JustinGuitar.com
You can follow much of his course for free (donations welcome, but not required) and only purchase extras if you want to. The free content is a coherent course building all the way to at least an early intermediate level.

You will find yourself in good company there.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Two years is nothing ... Seriously, take it slowly. Short simple songs. Accept that you'll make mistakes and show that impostor, 'frustration' the door. And the recording 'red light' fever is very common. Tis the way t'is.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-21-2024, 10:18 AM

2 years is not a long time!

And "red light syndrome" (screwing up while recording) is a very real thing...

Keep making noises...and set some goals...what do you want to be able to do?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi Chas,
firstly I very much doubt that there is anything wrong with you!

when trying to record you have red light syndrome - an issue for far more singer/ musicians than you could imagine.

I make videos for You Tube and mine are very basic and unedited, but I can start a simple 5-10 minute video ten or more times in order to get an acceptable take.

Why do you think that some bands work for weeks/months to make an album?

I have found over the years that to work out a song, make an arrangement etc., it has to be played to the point of getting sick of it to get it right, but once you develop a personal style, you can ultilise it for most songs/numbers which makes the whole process more straight forward.

The other problem with the "practice, practice, practice" ethos is that it is too easy to practice mistakes which become part of one's muscle memory.

Firstly whilst there is a great amount of info on you tube etc, If you can get past their b..... adverts now!

But they are no substitutes for face to face help, guidance and advice.

I started teaching online in 2020 after being asked during the first Covid lockdown.

I realised pretty soon that I could see what/why/how my clients were having issues by watching them sing/play. Then we could strip it down, and work on the issues whilst building up confidence and (importantly) enjoyment.

I still remember getting to the point of frustration where I contemplated throwing the guitar across the room!

We can sometimes forget that playing guitar is supposed to be a fun hobby!

Please have a look at this video, and if interested send me an email at the addy I mention.

BTW - I decided to return to the $50 per hour price but maybe we could work out a no charge initial meeting ?

Don't throw the guitar!

Best,Ol'Andy
Old 02-21-2024, 10:28 AM

How much practice time per day? I started at the age of 63, years ago. I practice at least an hour a day. I found that best thing is you do get better the more you practice. Some times things are beyond my skill level, so I will put what I was trying to learn aside for another day.

On a daily basis, I will practice the piano, steel string acoustic guitar, classical guitar and the ukulele which I just started.

You might want to check out music classes at your local colleges. You are at the age that you can probably audit classes for free or have 1/2 discount of tuition.

Another vote for Justin Guitar. Also, David Pots and Relax and Learn Guitar are also great resources.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-21-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was going to write a long reply but basically you are just a bit stuck.

Chas, what song would you like to be able to perform all the way through? Do you want to sing with guitar or are we talking about playing tunes here? And when and where would you like to perform it?

BTW, if you can clap along to a tune (i.e. have a bit of rhythm) you can darn well learn to play guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Chas007

Suggestion - fire up the iPhone and start recording the chords to a favorite song…and don't stop recording for 15 minutes. Don't even stop playing when you make a mistake. Then erase that and never listen to it.

I used to own an 'acoustic' instrument/group oriented recording studio, and what you experience is common among most players first time in studio - especially when they knew playing 'perfect' was their expectation and a goal they set of themselves.

So I'd sit them in front of the mic and record for 10-20 minutes straight with the instruction "If you make a mistake" do not stop, just keep playing. Then when time was 'up'…I'd reach over and select the track and erase it.

Then I'd pull out a guitar and play along with them and we'd jam with the recorder rolling for 10-15 minutes. All this was 'off' the clock (no $$ expected or even discussed).

Then we'd record something simple while keeping going (in time) and I'd go back and have them punch-in over any mistake they made so they could see how easy and painless that was…and they were usually ready to go.

So in about 30-40 minutes we'd change their whole approach to recording for the rest of the project (and beyond).

Scenario 2:
My gigging partner and I used to sit in the living room when learning new songs and play the song over and over for 20 minutes or more without stopping. We were experimenting and learning and arranging on the fly.

I'd go back on my own between these jam/rehearsals and work out fingerings I noticed I'd missed something or messed them up repeatedly. There is freedom in just jamming till you settle in.

While 'perfection' is a lofty goal, it's not the ultimate goal for me. Playing music I love and enjoying it is. If it happens to lack mistakes (which it often does), I'm a bit happier, but I'm the only one who will ever know how well I did. And if I make a mistake publically when playing, I just 'smile' and move on.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-21-2024, 12:59 PM

OP - it appears you live somewhere in Tennessee. I'm certain there are some jams/song circles that meet weekly or monthly that you can attend within an hour's drive of where you live.

I'll keep saying this until they kick me off the AGF:
There is NO SINGLE BETTER WAY to improve your playing, timing, rhythm, lead and harmony singing, improvisation skills, playing in front of others and more than PLAYING REGULARLY WITH OTHERS.
In person lessons are good. On line lessons are good. Books, CD's, DVD's, etc. are other ways to learn. But NONE of these are better than simply regularly playing with other people.

You don't think you're good enough yet. You never will! If we all waited until we thought we were "good enough" to play with others we'd all be still sitting alone on the edge of the bed or couch, plinking out sucky versions of beginner songs. We all started at the bottom. Nearly none of us will reach the "top." But we can all improve. Playing with other people is the best way I've found (in over 50 years of doing this).
Old 02-21-2024, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
OP - it appears you live somewhere in Tennessee. I'm certain there are some jams/song circles that meet weekly or monthly that you can attend within an hour's drive of where you live.

I'll keep saying this until they kick me off the AGF:
There is NO SINGLE BETTER WAY to improve your playing, timing, rhythm, lead and harmony singing, improvisation skills, playing in front of others and more than PLAYING REGULARLY WITH OTHERS.
In person lessons are good. On line lessons are good. Books, CD's, DVD's, etc. are other ways to learn. But NONE of these are better than simply regularly playing with other people.

You don't think you're good enough yet. You never will! If we all waited until we thought we were "good enough" to play with others we'd all be still sitting alone on the edge of the bed or couch, plinking out sucky versions of beginner songs. We all started at the bottom. Nearly none of us will reach the "top." But we can all improve. Playing with other people is the best way I've found (in over 50 years of doing this).
I agree. Nothing to be afraid of either, it is easy to hide in a group until you are up to speed.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-21-2024, 02:57 PM

I will be 75 very soon and have been playing around 3 years, give or take, and believe me I make mistakes!

I practice every day for a minimum of one hour, usually more.

I have no God given talent for this so, every improvement I make is through hard nosed repetition and determination!

My lovely wife of 53 years tells meI sound great, bless her soul, and the over and over repetitions do not bother her!

I love playing and will continue regardless!

I too have found David Pots to be an excellent source!

Good luck in your journey and stay positive!
Old 02-21-2024, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't underestimate the time and repetition it takes to get to a proficient level. Professional career instrumentalists have often spent years playing hours every day to get
to where they are. Also when you listen to other players on records, radio, online you may being hearing some studio session take number twenty.

Many years ago I used to take classical guitar lesions from a respected and well know concert guitarist and even he would on occasion want to work on some certain piece
of music for months before being comfortable presenting it in a public concert.

I think a saying goes don't practice a piece until you don't make a mistake, practice it until you can't make a mistake.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-21-2024, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

4 years ago my banjo teacher told me to record everything and then delete it. Absolutely worked to cure red light syndrome.

Don’t give up, just enjoy!
Old 02-21-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Mandobart's post is gold, do follow it!

There's really only one question you need to answer. "Do I enjoy doing this?" That's all you really need, and if you TRULY answer "no" then find something that you do enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write