The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 11:54 PM

Default GS-Mini - an unnecessary upgrade for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBright View Post
So been reading more ... and thinking more.

Thanks for all inputs and links - I probably didn't make it clear I'm in the UK so Sweetwater, Jerrys etc are all off limits for me sadly.

GS-Mini - I think lack of availability (new or used) forces me to put this on ice for now. I think the short scale / niche comments are giving me pause for thought also and I'd want to be able to hear and handle this.

Taylor 12 - lack of availability again is an issue and I definitely want to get a less bright sounding guitar to what I have now. The sitka topped Taylor might be brighter than my current one is my gut feeling even though it seems a perfect fit in all other regards.

I've been chatting to a sales advisor as store online today and I asked about an upgrade to my existing Fender with a warm full tone, sub 500 GBP. They have recommended a Sigma 000M 15 to me. They have two variants - a standard body shape all acoustic and one with cutaway and electroacoustic. Both in stock and have a 14 day returns policy. If I want to scratch my itch to get a new guitar then one of these could be worth a punt.

Anyone have thoughts on these? sound, playability, general build etc?

Hi TygerBright. Before I bought my Martin 00-15M, I tried out a Sigma 000M-15 model. It was about 2 years ago. I prefer the no cutaway and no electronics model aka. Standard model. Its workmanship and tone was impressive, IMHO, as good as the Martin I have. I listened to a couple of YouTube videos on the older 000-15 Sigma model as the model I tried was then, a new model. It had binding and the tuners were white. Its list price was US$630 (about half the price of a new Martin 00-15m). I tried checking out Sigma’s website but couldn’t get information on whether the back n sides were all solid or laminated. So I decided to get the Martin 00-15m instead. Plus I’ve always wanted a made in US guitar.

Not sure if the Sigma you’ve been introduced to is that same model that I’ve tried. Listen to this link below and a few others and see if you like the tone of an all-Mahogany guitar, as it is not everyone’s cup of tea. If you like it, I think it is worth giving the Sigma a try.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KCEV6OHKxyw&feature=share

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZS5jF4N7eGI&feature=share
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 01-21-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've been chatting to a sales advisor as store online today and I asked about an upgrade to my existing Fender with a warm full tone, sub 500 GBP. They have recommended a Sigma 000M 15 to me. They have two variants - a standard body shape all acoustic and one with cutaway and electroacoustic. Both in stock and have a 14 day returns policy. If I want to scratch my itch to get a new guitar then one of these could be worth a punt.

Anyone have thoughts on these? sound, playability, general build etc?
That might be worth a try especially with a solid return policy if you don’t like it.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:43 AM

All mahogany is definitely going to have a warmer, more intimate sound. I have a Martin 000-15M and it is a favorite. The only experience I have with Sigma is a buddy has an older copy of a D-18 and it is excellent. The two clips posted above sure sound good - especially that guy in the Wantmesound clip. He really knows how to pull the best tone from a guitar. You will likely be very pleased with this model, and there's the 14 day return window if you don't. I say go for it!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 AM

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=gs+mini+lh

GuitarGuitar in Epsom have some stock and depending whereabouts in London you are, isn't that far. I live in SW London, so it's fine for me! Once the lockdown is over, so along there - they have lots of guitars to try, may left handed.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry, miss that part about the big hands of the OP. Get something w/ an wider nut, 1 3/4ths. My new suggestion for an easy to find lefty,..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...natural-sapele
Old 01-22-2021, 05:18 AM

actually I don't know what 'big hands' are ... in the guitar world.

From my thumb to my little finger on a stretch the measurement is 22cm or approx 8.5 inches.

In guitar terms when I place thumb on the nut my little finger reaches just over the 7th fret on my Fender (25.5 inch scale)

Big? dunno!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
actually I don't know what 'big hands' are ... in the guitar world.
Quote:
I'm 5'7 so I think this concert size suits me well even though I have what I think are long arms and large hands for my size
OK, my mistake. Large hands. Your words.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:36 PM

if you are in the UK, maybe consider Sire and Faith guitars as well. i saw these recent Sire Larry Carlton models and they sound pretty good for the price:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFmCXJTahY
Old 02-07-2021, 01:51 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a quick update ...

After much more research and pondering, today I dropped my hard earned on a Taylor 12 lefty. Just the standard version without electronics.

Can't wait ... but I have no choice as the delivery date is April 21st for me here in the UK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion