The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Epiphone LP 50s Standard

Pics to come soon.

I picked up an Epiphone LesPaul 50s Standard today in gold top. What a great guitar! I am truly impressed by what $600 can buy these days. It compares very favoribly to the standard Gibson line.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:09 AM

How's the neck - when they went to Chinese production they adopted a cheeky, chunky, hard-D profile that was not only totally unlike their Gibson counterparts, but actually caused my hands to cramp (heard they've become more true-to-period recently; that said, their pickups have come a long way - IME competitive with the early Gibson PAF-style PU's from the '80s/90s...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-09-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I am so impressed with what you can get in the mid and economy ranges these days. We had only royalty or crap. My first decent electric was a used '74 Les Paul that I bought in 1978 for the princely sum of $425. We are talking about $1,758.68 in today's money. I saved every loose penny for three years and sold my previous electric as well in order to buy that one and still have it. To be able to sell it to me at that price the dealer kept the Gibson case and put it in a Univox case. Little did he know that the Univox case was actually stronger!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-09-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
How's the neck - when they went to Chinese production they adopted a cheeky, chunky, hard-D profile that was not only totally unlike their Gibson counterparts, but actually caused my hands to cramp (heard they've become more true-to-period recently; that said, their pickups have come a long way - IME competitive with the early Gibson PAF-style PU's from the '80s/90s...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
I'm no expert but I like the neck on this guitar. There are videos on YouTube discussing the necks and most people think they got it right on these.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:53 PM

That's a great looking guitar and I bet a blast to play!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars