The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2020, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I'm tempted to black it out
I've heard that a Sharpie is a good thing to use for such things.

sm
Old 12-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

This reminds me of the time Porsche tried to market a very nice VW two seater as a Porche. The 914 had its fans but was never considered a real Porche. The marketing folks try anything to sell stuff. Even decent guitars, and there are a lot of decent guitars, need a push to sell, and Gibson will use their name to sell stuff for sure. Everyone else does this too.

Now the Epiphone brand is interesting in that after decades of using the brand as their import line, they are making an Epiphone Texan in their Bozeman factory again. The original Texan is showing a lot of interest. I've owned a 65 Texan for a few years now, but when I checked out the new one, it was much closer to a Gibson than an old Epiphone. Sure they put a long neck on it, but there is no adjustable ceramic saddle, and no 1 5/8 nut. Looks like an Epiphone though, which will please most people, but don't call it a 65. Now some of the artists chose Texans, those same artists Gibson want to promote as playing Texans chose them over what was available. So it's somewhat of a bait and switch.

I would not dream of changing out my saddle. The disparagement of the adjustable saddle has far more to do with how many absolute dogs Gibson made in the sixties and 70s. I've played a 68 Texan that was horrible. And I've played many J 45s that were too. You have to hunt for a good one.

No doubt the new Texan is a good guitar, but now after so long, are people really going to jump on an Epiphone bandwagon? It is annoying when someone comes up to me saying that for a $500 guitar, it sounds pretty good. LOL
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-07-2020, 04:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
This reminds me of the time Porsche tried to market a very nice VW two seater as a Porche. The 914 had its fans but was never considered a real Porche. The marketing folks try anything to sell stuff. Even decent guitars, and there are a lot of decent guitars, need a push to sell, and Gibson will use their name to sell stuff for sure. Everyone else does this too.

Now the Epiphone brand is interesting in that after decades of using the brand as their import line, they are making an Epiphone Texan in their Bozeman factory again. The original Texan is showing a lot of interest. I've owned a 65 Texan for a few years now, but when I checked out the new one, it was much closer to a Gibson than an old Epiphone. Sure they put a long neck on it, but there is no adjustable ceramic saddle, and no 1 5/8 nut. Looks like an Epiphone though, which will please most people, but don't call it a 65. Now some of the artists chose Texans, those same artists Gibson want to promote as playing Texans chose them over what was available. So it's somewhat of a bait and switch.

I would not dream of changing out my saddle. The disparagement of the adjustable saddle has far more to do with how many absolute dogs Gibson made in the sixties and 70s. I've played a 68 Texan that was horrible. And I've played many J 45s that were too. You have to hunt for a good one.

No doubt the new Texan is a good guitar, but now after so long, are people really going to jump on an Epiphone bandwagon? It is annoying when someone comes up to me saying that for a $500 guitar, it sounds pretty good. LOL
You're probably aware that Porsche/VW dropped a six-cylinder 911 engine in some of those 914s. I see some of those selling for a ridiculously high price right now.

My retirement gift to myself (not happening any time soon) will be, finances permitting, an air-cool vintage Porsche. I'm looking at the 946 series at the moment (1989-1993) and they're pretty sweet, but also darned expensive.

sm
Old 12-07-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Jeremy, the older Epi MBs are pretty hard to beat. And yes, the AJ-500M is the pick of the litter. I own three, one of which is a true cannon.

I saw these new models at NAMM but haven't played any of them. From a marketing perspective, I'm guessing that flagging the models with the "Gibson" name will increase sales. Most of us who follow these things know that Gibson Epi decades ago, but the average consumer wouldn't know this. But EVERYONE knows the Gibson name.

scott memmer
what era/years are the old good AJ-500m’s?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:01 PM

Yeah but I’d be afraid to do it. Lol

Quote:
I've heard that a Sharpie is a good thing to use for such things.

sm
Old 12-07-2020, 08:41 PM

I have the hummingbird and really dig it. I believe these "Inspired by Gibson" are the same as "Masterbilts". The barcode on the box of mine lists mine as "Masterbilt Hummingbird". Either way it's a fantastic guitar that I would by again. I tried the J 45 yesterday too and it sounded awesome. I almost brought it home.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:13 PM

I have owned one of the Masterbilt 45 models and I own a Gibson J 45 TV. The TV is nicer by a good margin, but the 3000 dollar premium is tough to justify in reality. I am tempted to give these new IBG models a shot. It would be painful to pay any other 5 grand or so for a blonde J200 if I could get 90% of the tone for20% of the price.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzin_Cousin View Post
2004 to (roughly) 2007-08 I would say. I have an '04 AJ in rosewood and an '06 DR in mahogany. Both very fine examples of the earlier Masterbilts.

Last edited by PajamasMusic; 12-07-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
It would be painful to pay any other 5 grand or so for a blonde J200 if I could get 90% of the tone for20% of the price.
As the owner of a great Epiphone EJ-200 I wondered that myself but I finally found the courage and the funds to buy a Gibson SJ-200.

You don't get 90% of the SJ-200 tone with the EJ-200 - trust me, but you do get a great strumming guitar with a rather narrow nut that responds well to a firm right hand.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-08-2020, 04:57 PM

So I'm curious about where the quality difference emerges, given that we're talking about guitars with very similar specifications. Does the quality difference mostly stem from:

1. Grade of tonewoods used
2. Design compromises (e.g. bracing)
3. Manufacturing process (QA etc.)
4. All of the above?
5. Something else?
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
So I'm curious about where the quality difference emerges, given that we're talking about guitars with very similar specifications. Does the quality difference mostly stem from:

1. Grade of tonewoods used
2. Design compromises (e.g. bracing)
3. Manufacturing process (QA etc.)
4. All of the above?
5. Something else?
Probably 1 & 2 plus torrefied top on mine, hide glue, thin finish, neck joint etc.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-08-2020, 06:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Pajama Music hit it pretty much on the head, 2004-2008 were the cream years. These have been rarer and rarer to find, as 1) word has gotten around, and 2) The good ones have been played into for roughly 15 years and have opened up and gotten even better.

Here's a rosewood version, below, on eBay, even rarer than the hog version. (FYI: One of my AJ-500Ms came with a satin top from the factory. Due to no finish, I guess, it is the loudest cannon in my quiver, louder than my Eastmans or my HD-28. Just amazing.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Ma...EAAOSwsXFfGhEZ
Old 12-10-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamasMusic View Post
2004 to (roughly) 2007-08 I would say. I have an '04 AJ in rosewood and an '06 DR in mahogany. Both very fine examples of the earlier Masterbilts.
Thanks - what makes them better. Is it mostly the sound, or is it fit and finish etc. What would you notice first and the most... the woodwork and fretwork etc, or how it sounds/ loudness?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Pajama Music hit it pretty much on the head, 2004-2008 were the cream years. These have been rarer and rarer to find, as 1) word has gotten around, and 2) The good ones have been played into for roughly 15 years and have opened up and gotten even better.

Here's a rosewood version, below, on eBay, even rarer than the hog version. (FYI: One of my AJ-500Ms came with a satin top from the factory. Due to no finish, I guess, it is the loudest cannon in my quiver, louder than my Eastmans or my HD-28. Just amazing.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Ma...EAAOSwsXFfGhEZ

I looked at the link. So this one is one of the 04-07s.. How can you tell?
Here's one that may be later, around 2014. It looks nice and well built from a distance. I'm not as good a judge on acoustics. I play more electric usually.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-EF....c100752.m1982
Old 12-10-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks - what makes them better. Is it mostly the sound, or is it fit and finish etc. What would you notice first and the most... the woodwork and fretwork etc, or how it sounds/ loudness?
You're welcome! I've owned 4 over the years, one EF (finger style) and 3 dreads (1 slope/AJ and 2 square shouldered/DMs). I guess the first thing I noticed is their heft, not light builds at all. The tone is unique to the series, dry, woody, loud, and not like any Gibson (or Martin or any other) I have played. The volume on one of mine was the loudest of any guitar I've ever played, but the tone was a little brash for my ear (my brother enjoys it now), so I can't say they are all 'winners' without exception, but it was LOUD. They are manufactured overseas and I believe were inspected and setup in the States. I've seen a few 'seconds' (B stock) sold from time to time, guitars that, for whatever reason, blemished, etc. didn't pass muster, but those seem to be becoming more rare.

They are not particularly 'pretty' guitars, the finish is pretty austere and they are not finely crafted, but (as they say) for the value to price point, they are hard to beat. And there's just something endearing and enduring about that notched headstock...

Quote:
I looked at the link. So this one is one of the 04-07s.. How can you tell?
Here's one that may be later, around 2014. It looks nice and well built from a distance. I'm not as good a judge on acoustics. I play more electric usually.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-EF....c100752.m1982
I believe you are correct and that is one of the later issues. That looks like, and the model (EF-500RCCE - 'E' for Epiphone, 'F' for finger-style, 'R' for rosewood, one of those 'C's for cutaway and the 'E' for electronics) indicates a finger style (think OM). The description there further down is NOT for that guitar, I'm betting the seller copied and pasted the wrong guitar description into that eBay auction, so don't go off of that.

You wanna look for something that starts with a letter or two (like 'G' or 'GR' or something like that), which indicates the manufacturing plant, with the next 2 digits indicating the year, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 (I'm pretty sure this is right, somebody will correct me if I am not). Check your local and nearby Craigslist, too. They seem to crop up there from time to time, usually in the $450-$550 or so price range.

Charmed Life Picks should be able to enhance, verify or adjust any of this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion