The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 11:42 PM

Default What do you all HONESTLY think of Martin guitars?

Hey guys,

Wanting to know what is your honest opinion on Martin guitars, whether it be body shapes, tone woods, Good for finger picking or flat picking etc. I'm only asking because I'm on the verge of buying one that's really got my attention.

Based on the Martins you all own and have played over the years, what would you say is the ideal Martin for someone like me who's kind of a hybrid with acoustics (flat picker/finger style).
Old 11-11-2020, 11:55 PM

My OM 42 is a great guitar. I use it for both light flatpicking and finger style. I’ve had other Martins as well (D15 and D41) and they were great guitars as well.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:01 AM
AGF Administrator

A Martin OM would be a good all-arounder in my opinion. The body is large enough and with its long scale length to be a good flat picker, but small enough to comfortably play finger style.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:06 AM

I think ALL the US guitar makers have great guitars in their range - you just need to find the one that suits you best.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-12-2020, 12:10 AM

I bought my D-18 in 1975, still have, sounds great.

I bought my D-35 in 1915, still have it, sounds even better.

Sorry, neither are for sale.

That speaks volumes.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

Wanting to know what is your honest opinion on Martin guitars, whether it be body shapes, tone woods, Good for finger picking or flat picking etc. I'm only asking because I'm on the verge of buying one that's really got my attention.

Based on the Martins you all own and have played over the years, what would you say is the ideal Martin for someone like me who's kind of a hybrid with acoustics (flat picker/finger style).
If you've found one you like, that's all that matters. Martin makes a quality instrument.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I bought my D-18 in 1975, still have, sounds great.

Sorry, neither are for sale.

That speaks volumes.
How’s that D-35 sound after 105 years of aging?
Old 11-12-2020, 12:20 AM

I think that their Dreadnought guitars are very bassy and have good projection. They're like bluegrass machine in general. Some of them have too much bass. Their guitars overall have a very dark, warm tone and a bit mellow in it. If their dreadnought is made with cocobolo it sounds very articulate, bright, and boomy. the trade-off is you'll lose that dark, warm tone, and mellow in a bright sounding way. I play with my fingers only so I'm not going for any Martin unless I can try it and it has the right amount of dark, warm, and mellow tones that I want. An example of what I want is Kathy Wingert's guitar. It sounds so mellow, slightly dark, and very slightly sadness in the sound which I like. Martin guitars can be muddy sometimes and very bassy (D-35 is an example) so make sure you try it first if you like it. Most of their cheaper models that I've tried have a very fair amount of dark and mellow which I like but some of them are still bassy and the treble is just not there and doesn't have the quality sound that I look for, but they're good guitars. (yes, I just spoiled my ears from listening to too many high-end guitars)
Old 11-12-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmitestar View Post
How’s that D-35 sound after 105 years of aging?
How are you after you bought the D-35 105 years ago? :-)
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-12-2020, 12:34 AM

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-12-2020, 12:53 AM

Don't buy the new one, get the old one. The new Martin always has binding fall off issue. The fretboard is now not sure as ebony, the neck is also not sure as One piece genuine mahogany neck.. etc.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 11-12-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Lol.. I still do the same thing myself. I didn’t even catch that when I read it.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think ALL the US guitar makers have great guitars in their range - you just need to find the one that suits you best.
^^^ This.

Martin makes a lot of models, and it’s probable that one or more will get your attention. If it does, great! They’re a well-regarded company and they build a lot of great instruments.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Don't buy the new one, get the old one. The new Martin always has binding fall off issue. The fretboard is now not sure as ebony, the neck is also not sure as One piece genuine mahogany neck.. etc.

I wouldn't disqualify a guitar with a one piece neck vs a scarfed headstock. The scarfed joint will resist damage better and I'm sure it has no impact on tone.

The volute originated as a byproduct of another type of joint, not to add extra material to strengthen a weak one piece neck.

However, the binding issues are legitimate concern. research the years/ serial Nos affected and steer clear.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:43 AM

The are two questions here. What do we think of Martins and what guitar should the OP acquire.

Martin make such a vast range of instruments its difficult to express a meaningful view that applies to all of them. I have had several and most of them I still have while other (often more expensive) guitars brands have come and gone.

I tend to gravitate towards their high end but non-blingy models so have a Custom Shop OM and a Custom Shop dread. The dread is fantastic and is my “go to” guitar.

To answer your second question, going somewhat against the conventional tide, I’d say how about a dread? To me they sound great finger picked as well as strummed. But of course, an OM would also do both jobs well - just slightly differently.

Really though, don't-over think it. Buy the guitar that gets your juices flowing. You can play anything on anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion