The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2021, 11:00 PM

What are you guys smoking?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:21 AM

It would be interesting to see if people with synaesthesia see the same colors for the twelve tones and associated chords. I’ve seen sound as colors one time, it was at a Grateful Dead show in the seventies.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I went to a "Playing by Ear" workshop and the lecturer assigned colors to chords and then assigned the same colors to emotions. It was okay and I understood the concept. It just was to general for me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
What are you guys smoking?
Gummy bears

Seriously the chord colors change depending on their context. But hey, that's me .....

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-08-2021, 10:51 AM

remember hearing Jerry Garcia associated notes with colors
Old 01-08-2021, 02:26 PM

This could be handy. I don't experience this, but I know some people that can visualize music using colors. Some have perfect pitch too, but not all. The brain is a mysterious thing.... With practice I can hear chord changes and identify many of them by interval, and do that consciously while listening to the radio. I can usually pick out I, II, IV, V and the relative minor (vi) in most music. Beyond that, I often lose it in the complexity. I have good relative pitch, but not perfect absolute pitch by any means.

For work a 1000 Hz calibration tone is commonly used, and I can usually whistle that pitch to within about 2-3 Hz.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

One of my former band mates is all about the hearing colors thing and he is friendly with a concert pianist who also experiences synesthesia. He is always talking to me about this or that note being this or that color.

I know it is a real thing but not everyone experiences it. Consequently, while it is an interesting phenomenon, I don’t see it as a useful means of musical communication, which is how he constantly attempts to use it. I tell him I am tone blind.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sounds like something James Brown would have sung at Woodstock (cue guitar rhythm and rimshot here):

I feel good !
Old 01-08-2021, 06:16 PM

OK, I don't have synesthesia or anything, but I do associate chords with colors. It mostly at the conceptual level I guess - I associate A major with yellow, for instance, but I don't actually see yellow when I hear A major (although I know some people do have that kind of synesthesia).

I also sometimes associate chords or more often, keys, with people. These two associations are related - like if I know someone with a bright sunny personality, I might think of that person as an A major (either chord or key) and that goes along with the bright yellow color I associate with it.

I tend to think of the minor chords as darker, but related colors to their relative major chords. For instance, I think of D major as a nice medium blue, and B minor as a dark midnight blue. (I'm a B minor, by the way) (the key - as for a chord, I don't know, but I think I'm an augmented chord).

Also sometimes when I'm writing a song, the chords take on personalities and form teams that fight other teams. Kinda strange. One piece in particular comes to mind - and I was actually sort of feeling this while I was writing it - D major and E major formed a team and were enemies with G major and F# major who had formed an opposing team. Another chord - F minor showed up and was sort of a neutral party, attempting either to mediate the conflict or provide neutral ground for them to battle it out.

Not sure what all of the fuss was about - but I did think of the D major, E major team as the good guys. I think they won since the piece ended up being in Bm (even though no Bm's were ever used).
Old 01-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Default Robert Sach, musicophelia, YouTube

That is Dr. Oliver Sach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKry0gh_NA
Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Chords and melodies

Not so much for the last 50 + years but definitely in the late 60's a few times .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Blue notes.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 AM

Wassily Kandinsky painted what he heard in musical compositions as does this artist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbh7tAnwLCY
Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
When I think of certain chords, I associate them with colors. D Major chord is Green, A Major chord is blue, etc... not sure where these colors are coming from. Do any of you associate chords with colors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeA View Post
Yes, A is red, E is blue, D is white, F is brown, G is gold, B is blue-green. I feel silly writing this...
Do either of you actually SEE the colors when playing/hearing the chords, or do you just "associate" them with a color (though I'm not sure what the latter would really mean)?

What I've always wondered is this: If you hear a D major and it's green (we'll assume A=440 here), what happens if you set your A reference such that it's exactly halfway between A and Ab, for example? What color is it then? The color of A, or the color of Ab (I'm assuming there's a color for Ab, I guess) . . . or some sort of blend between them?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write