The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-07-2021, 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=FrankHudson;6598550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post

I think you may have caught a crucial point that I missed. I read it to quickly I thought his guitar amp was mic'ed or other wise going into the band's PA. Direct into a PA could be a miss-match and may not produce anything like a desired timbre.
I played acoustic previously and that went through the PA (two massive speakers on the side). It was loud and crisp. The electric isn't as loud but I was playing without pedals. Just wondering if pedals are important with an electric. This is all new to me..
Old 01-08-2021, 05:17 AM

electric guitars,, need an amp...

Most of what your missing are the frequencies that cut thru the mix, the guitar amps are voiced to provide that. Micing the amp will help disperse the sound, but going direct in, you'll loose that mid cut that will help you be heard better.

it's not always a matter of being louder, it's a matter of have the right frequencies in the mix of things.

at minimum, you should at least try a pre-amp that is designed for the guitar -> pa kind of rig (Line 6 Helix for example)

Go amp shopping bud,,.. something in the 50 watt 1x12 range for starters.. plenty out there.. don't need to spend a fortune either.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
electric guitars,, need an amp...

Most of what your missing are the frequencies that cut thru the mix, the guitar amps are voiced to provide that. Micing the amp will help disperse the sound, but going direct in, you'll loose that mid cut that will help you be heard better.

it's not always a matter of being louder, it's a matter of have the right frequencies in the mix of things.

at minimum, you should at least try a pre-amp that is designed for the guitar -> pa kind of rig (Line 6 Helix for example)

Go amp shopping bud,,.. something in the 50 watt 1x12 range for starters.. plenty out there.. don't need to spend a fortune either.
How would a pre-amp work? There really isn't room for an amp on my end of the stage so looking for ways to be louder on the PA. Wondering if getting the right pedal will help boost this.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 AM

something like this is more or less designed to go to a PA or for recording.

you can make your own presets,plug your guitar into this, then line out that to your PA board.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...loor-processor

there's a lot of products out there that are like this and do the same for less money.

Line 6 is just one of the companies that offer things like this.

you could even start out with something like this for 20 bucks!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-modeler-pedal
Old 01-08-2021, 06:44 AM

Oh right. Well I ordered this earlier, will this do the same thing?

Boss ME-80 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...-with-Bag/2S1R
Old 01-08-2021, 07:10 AM

Well I have an amp sorted now. Spoke to the band leader and I'll be using the amp in the centre of the stage and he'll go through the PA. How loud or quiet do I need the amp usually?
Old 01-08-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post

yes! that will do the same, It can even be used with an amp or a PA, so you can get a lot of sounds out of that by just using even the most basic guitar amp. So that is a useful tool for you to have you will just need to sit down with it, and learn how to set it up and use it.

about your next question, the volume you will need will depend on the environment you are playing in.

the drummer (if using acoustic drum) will always set the bar for how loud things are.

If the drummer is a heavy hitter, the band is going to be louder just to keep up with the volume he/she will set. If the drummer uses a lot of dynamics and only hits hard when he needs to, the over all volume can and will be much more manageable.

You will just need to spend some time getting it sorted out. it's not difficult, but it will take some time to get comfortable with the mix.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 AM

Talking

Clouds - A couple of things. 1st - When someone on a forum tells you that you need an amp you must take said advice. I'm almost positive it's a law. Enjoy.

We (guys I practice with) have the same issue that you are experiencing. We play through a PA most times but occasionally someone will bring an amp as they have a "tone" that they cant get through the PA. Big amps walk all over the PA unless we really turn it up but then we are killing ourselves as we are in a 300sf conference room.

Most times we use modelers or pedal boards into the PA and it's much easier to control the chaos.

This is a common problem and is really just another part of your guitar journey. The problem isn't your Tele. It's the nut behind your pickups.

Good luck and enjoy finding the solution.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post

Yes, while off the top of my head I'm not sure it's the ideal solution*, it should improve things. If you're going to hook up to the PA from that you may want to check the devices manual or your own ears to see which output to use. There's an amp out and a 1/8 inch headphones./record out but not a line out or better yet, balanced line out (good to have if you ever need to work farther from the PA).

Lots of settings there. Unless you are are interested in lots of different sounds I'd concentrate on getting one to three nice sounds setup -- even if the device is capable of a multitude of tweaks and sounds. There's probably a way to save those settings for easy recall and maybe even make your primary one the one that's there when the thing is powered up.

*I've not used that Boss device, nor the any of the similarly priced Tech 21 Fly Rig models, but the Fly Rig is aimed at the "I want something small and relatively simple I can use to perform with that'll give me traditional rock guitar tones" need.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars