The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2024, 10:07 AM

Default Active Melody

I’ve been learning from Active Melody videos on YouTube and want to recommend them. I’m not a paid member (yet), mainly because with the time I have for dedicated learning, I often find it hard to get through the free part of the video and explore it fully. I usually grab some takeaways and work on them during the week. But I think I might benefit from the community and forum he’s built for paid members. Sounds like a great community.

Just wondering if anyone else here uses these videos for learning?
Old 03-17-2024, 10:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I had signed up for his website a few years ago as there were a few tunes I wanted to learn, but he talked so much I discontinued my subscription.

I'm a bit of a minimalist I suppose. When men talk to each other we cut to the chase and get to the point. When my wife tells me something she goes into incredible detail, most of which are meaningless to the subject, but are entertaining and enhance the story. He reminded me of my wife. One is enough, thank you very much

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
When men talk to each other we cut to the chase and get to the point.
Unless it's on a guitar forum!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-17-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had signed up for his website a few years ago as there were a few tunes I wanted to learn, but he talked so much I discontinued my subscription.

I'm a bit of a minimalist I suppose. When men talk to each other we cut to the chase and get to the point. When my wife tells me something she goes into incredible detail, most of which are meaningless to the subject, but are entertaining and enhance the story. He reminded me of my wife. One is enough, thank you very much
I’ve noticed that he gets very excited and at times a bit wordy about theory etc. It strikes me as his zeal for teaching and hoping the student will grasp it, and his genuine love for music and how it all works.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I’ve noticed that he gets very excited and at times a bit wordy about theory etc. It strikes me as his zeal for teaching and hoping the student will grasp it, and his genuine love for music and how it all works.
Yes, he's very good. I just couldn't take it anymore

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2024, 12:04 PM

I totally disagree with the opinion regarding the amount of talk on Active Melody lessons. That's what sets this site apart from the "how to play this song" videos that tell nothing about how and why the music works.

I've been a long time visitor and became a paid member a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it. Of the hundreds of lessons he has there is a lot of variety, although most lean toward blues and country, plus many on theory, through the CAGED method. Paid members have access to tab, backing tracks and a forum.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-17-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
I totally disagree with the opinion regarding the amount of talk on Active Melody lessons. That's what sets this site apart from the "how to play this song" videos that tell nothing about how and why the music works.

I've been a long time visitor and became a paid member a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it. Of the hundreds of lessons he has there is a lot of variety, although most lean toward blues and country, plus many on theory, through the CAGED method. Paid members have access to tab, backing tracks and a forum.
I enjoy the way he explains things, and I agree that it’s a lot more in-depth than the “put your finger here” method of showing people how to play songs and riffs. Brian’s main motto is: Learn to play, not to memorize. I’ve been memorizing for 30 years and am tired of it.

But I also have to admit when Brian starts talking about theory, I don’t understand much of it and it goes over my head. When he talks about how this note is the third of this scale, etc, I don’t know what any of that means. I think it’s entirely possible that at some point along the way, I just convinced myself all that stuff is too hard for me. But I have to admit also that the way he weaves everything together, there are lightbulb moments for me that make me understand more why I’m doing what I’m doing.

I’ve avoided his videos on the CAGED method because the bits I’ve heard him refer to remind of me of math problems and I hate math.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I enjoy the way he explains things, and I agree that it’s a lot more in-depth than the “put your finger here” method of showing people how to play songs and riffs. Brian’s main motto is: Learn to play, not to memorize. I’ve been memorizing for 30 years and am tired of it.

But I also have to admit when Brian starts talking about theory, I don’t understand much of it and it goes over my head. When he talks about how this note is the third of this scale, etc, I don’t know what any of that means. I think it’s entirely possible that at some point along the way, I just convinced myself all that stuff is too hard for me. But I have to admit also that the way he weaves everything together, there are lightbulb moments for me that make me understand more why I’m doing what I’m doing.

I’ve avoided his videos on the CAGED method because the bits I’ve heard him refer to remind of me of math problems and I hate math.
I agree, or at least did for most of the last several decades. I always said I wasn't going to bother with theory, reading music, etc since the music I wanted to play was "simple". Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Folk and the like. I remember reading that some well-known country picker was asked if he could read music, and he said "Yes, but not enough to hurt my playin'".

Eventually some theory crept into my brain and I found it to be pretty helpful. What constitutes a chord, the scale degrees that you mentioned, and a few other concepts. It really helps to understand moveable chord shapes. I have avoided diving into the CAGED method or more advanced theory but I wish I hadn't.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-17-2024, 08:01 PM

Active Melody is a great site for rock, blues, and some country. I don’t think Brian is too technical but his main lessons do presume some very basic knowledge of theory. He has beginner theory lessons as well. I admire what he has put together.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:13 AM

He obviously appeals to a certain audience of people. I’m glad he has been able to help people out. He however for me rambles and I just can’t deal with that much unnecessary verbiage! Imho
Old 03-21-2024, 01:45 PM

I honestly expected there to be more students of Active Melody here. I’m enjoying learning from there a lot.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:28 AM

I am a subscriber who enjoys Active Melody because Brian is generally teaching that which I am most interested in learning --- tools and approaches that help me learn to improvise. Yes, I know he teaches more than that.

I don't feel he talks too much but I do feel he talks too fast most of the time.

The problem for me is keeping up. One lesson can occupy me for quite a while, so I end up overlooking many new lessons. But that is true for me with any online lessons.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:30 PM

Default hello puddle

Quote:
I honestly expected there to be more students of Active Melody here. I’m enjoying learning from there a lot.
------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't tried ACTIVE MELODY at all. Never even heard of it...but wanted to step in here and thank you for being the first to reply to my first post here.

I'm still enjoying the FG-820-12. The only thing I've added is an electronic tuner. B4 that, I never realized my tuning left a little to be desired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write