The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratmeister View Post
...So it seems the whole problem here is impedance matching, and in particular especially if you plug in to the FOH mixer which is what we are doing. I've tried just running high impedance as well as using a decent DI with about the same results.
If your guitar already has a decent preamp (it does, it's a Tak) then impedance matching isn't the issue.

I have a Fishman Aura (IR), Tonedexter (IR + magic dust), a Yamaha AG stomp (mic modelling) and a Mooer Radar (IR + amp modelling).

All have much to offer but I would suggest diving into the Cuki/JF world for a few months to explore the possibilities. When you're done there you'll have a much better idea of what's ideal vs what's possible.

You can record your guitar pickup then play it back through IRs loaded into a convolution reverb VST in your DAW (Reaverb in Reaper for me) to audition them.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
If your guitar already has a decent preamp (it does, it's a Tak) then impedance matching isn't the issue.

All have much to offer but I would suggest diving into the Cuki/JF world for a few months to explore the possibilities. When you're done there you'll have a much better idea of what's ideal vs what's possible.

You can record your guitar pickup then play it back through IRs loaded into a convolution reverb VST in your DAW (Reaverb in Reaper for me) to audition them.
Thanks, Yes....That is what I have been doing for the last several weeks now is running the Cuki's IR's in my DAW. I record and listen back so I can change IR's on the fly to compare. I have already built a library of over 180 acoustic IR's. I have most of the ones Cuki has on his site and found another site this morning where I picked another 24 nice ones of Collings Dreads and OM's, Hummingbirds, and J45's, and Taylor 814's all done with various different mic's. The Nux Optima Air I ordered should be in tomorrow then I'll get a good idea of where I stand.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I have most of the ones Cuki has on his site and found another site this morning where I picked another 24 nice ones of Collings Dreads and OM's, Hummingbirds, and J45's, and Taylor 814's all done with various different mic's.
Are those free? Can you please share the link?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Looks like I might sell my new NU-x Optima Air. I'll give someone a deal. Never used "out." PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know if there is a factory reset on the pedal?
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird

Electrics
Pensa Custom Shop MK90
Squire Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster

Amp
Bose L1 Pro 8

Effects
Neural DSP Quad Cortex
Old 10-11-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am very interested in this pedal as well. However, is it still not possible to blend the IR or is it always at 100%?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I believe you cannot blend but I only use it at 100% for streaming. You can export the IR and use it in an HX Stomp or similar and blend there. You can also edit the high and low pass EQ with the included desktop app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
This is true. I do like how they give you the option to eq just the IR. Hopefully they release a software update with an IR blend (if that's possible). I find that for me, if I use an IR device, I like to keep the blend low. Mind you, the NUX sounds very balanced so maybe it would work better in a live situation vs. the TD.
Is this correct?

NUX say you can blend, using the IR Level and the Gain dials...

https://youtu.be/7_kfwhgow-Y

(See from 3 mins 7 seconds in)

The fact there is still a output signal when the IR Level is set to zero suggests there is a "dry" signal, doesn't it?
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 AM

I am not sure you can blend. Aaron Short said I believe you can not.

The IR level is just a volume control you can save for each IR patch so that switching patch does not lead to huge volume difference.

There is no way to mix dry signal.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-12-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GF- View Post
Is this correct?

NUX say you can blend, using the IR Level and the Gain dials...

https://youtu.be/7_kfwhgow-Y

(See from 3 mins 7 seconds in)

The fact there is still a output signal when the IR Level is set to zero suggests there is a "dry" signal, doesn't it?
Nux confirmed to me that it is not a blend control.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Are those free? Can you please share the link?
Hi Cuki79, the link is as follow: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2qdh9jtc...V4YwMY7Wa?dl=0

I found some of these to be nice but some are pretty loud.

~Stratmeister
Old 10-12-2021, 05:36 PM

Hi everyone, so I got my Nux Optima air mounted on my pedal board. I am using all of the other stomps on the pedal board through the Optima Air's effects loop. Works great.

So here are my impressions.....

First off to answer the question about blending....It doesn't really have a true blend knob, it's a bit more of an IR level. So when it is turned all the way down (to the left) it is still applying a tiny bit of IR to the signal and as you increase the IR becomes louder so all the way to the left is basically sounds like all IR to me....so maybe psuedo blend. I didn't find that to be a problem at all. But that said, you can still bypass the IR via the left foot switch. I found the sweet spot to be between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock for me. Sometimes it is really cool all the way up too but if you go too much you may get a bit of an airy almost woody chorus like effect on some IR's. Best preset IR's for me (I have a Takamine with palathetic piezo) are definitely the Martin D45 piezo and the Taylor 814 piezo. The right footswitch engages the pre-amp. Very usable but touchy Bass/Med/Treble controls and little but goes a long way. Found myself staying right around 10 o'clock and 2' o'clock with all three.. The D45 sounded so nice that I really didn't need the pre-amp on at all. Reverb is OK...Not the best I ever heard by any means but adequate up to a point. After about 2 o'clock the reverb sounds fine but it starts to get too long of a decay for my taste if I go much higher than that. If your using it for live application and looking for really fine verb and not just sweetening up a bit then I'd go with something like a Boss RV-6 Strymon, or Hall of fame. I added one of my IR's to it that I made of my guitar (using Cuki79's program) and it is very usable indeed after applying the pre-amp, but I don't have a condenser mic. I made it using using first a Beta 58 then a Sennheiser E609 at the 12th fret - Beta 58 did a better job. A friend has a nice Neumann and will try that next using the pedal to make it at his place. Pedals I'm using in the effects loop are as follows: TC Electronic Polytune, Wampler Ego Compressor, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive/Boost, Boss CE-2 Chorus, Voodoo Labs Tremolo, and Way Huge Aqua Puss Analog delay.

Overall this pedal is sweet. Built well and sounds incredible compared to my QUACK ATTACK normal piezo sound. So far well worth the money. Instructions not great but theres a video on you tube on how to upgrade frimware etc. The editing software is pretty self emplanatory, or at least was for me. Will let you know more after I use it in a live situation. (Be aware the pedal does not come with power supply it's 9V DC standard negative tip - positive sleeve. No problems for me since I use a One Spot to power everything)

Last edited by Stratmeister; 10-12-2021 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdfire View Post
Does anyone know if there is a factory reset on the pedal?
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 10-15-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible?
I had the same question the other night. I had accidentally saved without picking a new location to save to and overwrote something apparently. After that the D45 did not sound right at all. I scoured the web looking for an answer but found none and was about to email NUX and then had a thought, so I simply did the firmware update again and now it seems to be ok. Don't know if this is the correct thing to do to reset but it seems to have worked for me. It may still be worth emailing them to find out for sure though as there may be another way. I emailed them prior to purchasing the unit to find out exactly what the signal path is regarding the effects loop and they responded quickly to my question. I got answer the next day. If anyone finds out differnt I would appreciate if you post.

Thanks ~ Stratmeister
Old 10-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Anyone use this with a Sonitone pickup and what results have you heard?
Old 10-16-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I had the same question the other night. I had accidentally saved without picking a new location to save to and overwrote something apparently. After that the D45 did not sound right at all. I scoured the web looking for an answer but found none and was about to email NUX and then had a thought, so I simply did the firmware update again and now it seems to be ok. Don't know if this is the correct thing to do to reset but it seems to have worked for me. It may still be worth emailing them to find out for sure though as there may be another way. I emailed them prior to purchasing the unit to find out exactly what the signal path is regarding the effects loop and they responded quickly to my question. I got answer the next day. If anyone finds out differnt I would appreciate if you post.

Thanks ~ Stratmeister
thanks i will try that. Been looking for sometime and cant find any other solution
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird

Electrics
Pensa Custom Shop MK90
Squire Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster

Amp
Bose L1 Pro 8

Effects
Neural DSP Quad Cortex
Old 10-16-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdfire View Post
thanks i will try that. Been looking for sometime and cant find any other solution
Hi Mdfire, I actually sent an email to NUX today to try to get some clarification on this and to see if what I did was "proper" or if there is different correct way to do this. Guessing you may have accidentally saved and changed one of your preset IR's, which is what I did. Hopefully they give an answer in the next day or so. Will post and let everyone know what they say.

~Stratmeister
Electrics
82' Gibson Les Paul Custom
66' Fender Mustang
85' Fender MIJ Stratocaster
2006 Fender Telecaster (Swamp Ash)
92' B.C Rich Ironbird
Amps & Cabs
Mesa Boogie DC3 Head
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant Half Back Cab
Marshall 2x12 Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe

Last edited by Stratmeister; 10-16-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification