The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I notice the raw file is pretty in phase for a spaced pair. Was it a spaced pair? If so it must have been panned towards the center somewhat.
Anyhow I did a different type of reverb for fun. Not particularily better or worse, just different:

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...mp/VoiceOf.mp3
This time was in xy, into one stereo track into Reaper. I did 4 or 5 takes on the same track and comped the best sections to a separate track, a process I found to be very easy in Reaper. For mixing down, I still like the plugin layout better in Ableton, so I may export to Ableton for mixdown in future runs. It still sounds better to my ears with a bit of distance between the guitar and mics, any closer than 3 feet and it gets boomy.

I'm gonna watch some burn notices with my wife, and then I will give your run a listen.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 AM

Rick, your reverb sounded almost like a doubled echo. It kind of put me off at first, but after a few listens it grew on me. Some of the IR's I have loaded in SIR sound similar to that. I can see it's application in other contexts, but since this project is sacred and inspirational melodies, I'm trying to simulate as close as I can the sound of the sanctuary in my favorite local cathedral.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
Listening on monitors now. I would suggest backing off the reverb a bit. Or eqing the reverb return to de emphasize everything below about 800 in the wet signal, dropping by about 3 or 4 db.
I tried a different mix using your suggestion, I also raised the high en a tad in the reverb EQ. SIR kept locking up on me, so I switched to Reverberate LE, which had a tab to EQ the reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/ken-whisler/i...ice-of-jesus-1
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post
I tried a different mix using your suggestion, I also raised the high en a tad in the reverb EQ. SIR kept locking up on me, so I switched to Reverberate LE, which had a tab to EQ the reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/ken-whisler/i...ice-of-jesus-1
I think it sounds great Ken. It's more reverb than I would normally put on my own stuff but you said you were going for a church sanctuary sound which I think it has.

What do you think ?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I think it sounds great Ken. It's more reverb than I would normally put on my own stuff but you said you were going for a church sanctuary sound which I think it has.

What do you think ?
There is a particular cathedral in my town that has very high ceilings with mostly wood and plaster, lots of stained glass, surprisingly little marble and stone, so it has a natural reverb that has a very even and smooth decay. Unfortunately, it is located at a very lively urban intersection and has an HVAC that sounds like a migraine headache. I'm trying to emulate that sound minus the sirens and fans. I think that this last run, I came really close, and squashing the mids and accentuating the highs a bit in the reverb really helped. As for mic'ing, after repeated listens, I think in my environment spaced pairs hard panned sounds better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD